OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for 300Wby Mag suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for 300Wby Mag suggestions
    Posted: July/06/2012 at 20:59
Just ordered a Weatherby Accumark in 300 WBY. It will be here middle of next week.Yippee I would like to set it up for shots out to 500-600 yards.  I'm leaning toward a 4.5-14x50 Zeiss Conquest with target turrets and #4 ret.  I am confortable with that scope and it is close to the upper end of my buget.  I have alot of experience with Leupold, Zeiss and Nightforce and would probably get a Leupold VX-6 if the 3-18 was coming out before Oct. Any suggestions on comparable sized scopes at approx $1000.
KIMBER8400AT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Vig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIMBER8400AT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 23:58
Just ordered Vortex Viper 6-24x50 PST, FFP MOA which is sufficient for your purpose.  $949.
My choice was b/w the viper and Sightron SIII, but I went with the viper b/c of the FFP.
“Don't carry a gun. It's nice to have them close by, but don't carry them. You might get arrested.” J.G.
@WitsEnd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote @WitsEnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2012 at 10:27
I like your choice on the zeiss. I don't have any experience with nightforce so I cant help you there.
Gappa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2012 at 15:46
I'd stay away from Leupold.. I have had some bad experience with their new stuff, canted reticles and poor image quality.  Seems like their QC isn't what it used to be.  Look at the Premier Hunter series
Gappa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2012 at 15:47
They are a little more than 1k but should be well worth it. They are more in the NIghtforce range
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2012 at 17:07
Gappa,

You may have already answered this elsewhere, but how did you check the reticle for cant?
-Matt
hemiallen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hemiallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2012 at 18:44
Leupold makes a lot of options, good quality and a very good repair for lifetime guarantee. I have a 3'5-10 that came on my Ultralightweight 300 Wby and it had focusing issues, they fixed it free.

Allen
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2012 at 22:41
I just got the conquest 4.5-14x50 with hunting turrets and the #4 reticle from the sample list for $700. It's a great piece of glass, and it's going on my 300 win mag for shots out to 700-800 yds. The only thing I may do is have it fitted with target turrets. Otherwise, I think it's slightly better than my viper HS 4-16x44, and it should be a great combo for your stated use. There are some great choices on the sample list right now, and the "demo B" scope that I got is completely flawless. Good luck.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
BobbyH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2012 at 09:16

Unfortunately my scope money is now flying out with the wife on Tuesday to New York (family member needs surgery) so now going to have to wait about a month.  I have an old Simmons ATEC I'll put on it to brake in the 300  (hopefully it will hold up at the range.) 

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2012 at 09:22
Originally posted by BobbyH BobbyH wrote:

Just ordered a Weatherby Accumark in 300 WBY. It will be here middle of next week.Yippee I would like to set it up for shots out to 500-600 yards.  I'm leaning toward a 4.5-14x50 Zeiss Conquest with target turrets and #4 ret.  I am confortable with that scope and it is close to the upper end of my buget.  I have alot of experience with Leupold, Zeiss and Nightforce and would probably get a Leupold VX-6 if the 3-18 was coming out before Oct. Any suggestions on comparable sized scopes at approx $1000.

Check SWFA's Sample List... deals to be had...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
BobbyH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2012 at 09:38
I looked and there are definitely good deals there.  Just gonna have to wait for couple weeks now to pull trigger on scope. 
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2012 at 10:59
check ebay! I would slap a vortex viper 6.5-20x50 on it 
Dont take yourself to seriously
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2012 at 16:36
Swarovski 3.5-18x44 Z5 Riflescope Swarovski 3.5-18x44 Z5 Riflescope
Stock # - SWA59764
  • Matte
  • 4W
  • 1"
  • Ballistic Turret
  • Side Focus
$1,549.00 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
BobbyH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2012 at 17:39
The Swaro was on my want list but unfortunately currently out of my price range. But will probably upgrade my old vari X III on my 30-06 for a 3-10X42 Z3 a little later this year.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Vig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIMBER8400AT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2012 at 17:59
Vortex 4-16x50 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope Vortex 4-16x50 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - VORVHS4306
  • Matte
  • V-Plex
  • 30mm
  • Waterproof
  • Fogproof
  • Shockproof
$539.95
“Don't carry a gun. It's nice to have them close by, but don't carry them. You might get arrested.” J.G.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Vig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIMBER8400AT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2012 at 18:02
This one has 50 MOA elevation and 50 MOA windage adjustment, most likely sufficient for 500 - 600 yards.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2012 at 18:51
SPL16203 Swarovski 3.5-18x44 Z5 Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view 59767, Matte, BRX, 1"
$1,229.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
BobbyH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2012 at 20:55
Thats close to my range but alot of members here say they prefer the BRH for the same reason I want a #4 ret.  Low light capabilities. There is a Conquest on the Sample List with plex that is looking good right now. 

Kimber: I havent looked at Vortex and have mixed thoughts on buying one.  It's that Ford Chevy Dodge thing.  I'm a Chevy guy (Leupold) and Vortex is a Ford to me right now.  Nothing against them just haven't really wanted one.  Big Grin
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2012 at 21:05
 Kimber: I havent looked at Vortex and have mixed thoughts on buying one.  It's that Ford Chevy Dodge thing.  I'm a Chevy guy (Leupold) and Vortex is a Ford to me right now.  Nothing against them just haven't really wanted one.  Big Grin
[/QUOTE]

you should give the viper above a shot. It is a fine hunting scope and very capable for dialing in windage and elevation. If you dont like it you will have no trouble selling  
Dont take yourself to seriously
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Vig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIMBER8400AT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2012 at 21:51
Originally posted by BobbyH BobbyH wrote:

Thats close to my range but alot of members here say they prefer the BRH for the same reason I want a #4 ret.  Low light capabilities. There is a Conquest on the Sample List with plex that is looking good right now. 

Smiling Mad

Bobby,
I have never owned a Vortex, but I have done a research for at least 2 months now and my conclusion was to go with Vortex Viper PST FFP around $949.

If you're doing the car analogy, then IMHO Vortex is a Corvette  Camaro, which is still a Chevy huh.

But don't take my word for it ask around ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic