OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

LONG RANGE SCOPE RECOMMENDATION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Vig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIMBER8400AT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 11:18
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

IMO the one down side to the PST 6-24x50 is it only has 65 MOA of adjustment.  That will probably put you right on the line for 100 yard zero and being able to reach 1000 yards.  You will for sure want at least a 20 MOA base.  I had an IOR scope that had 70 MOA and just by the luck of the draw, I could only get to about 930 yards with the 20 MOA base.  So just be aware if you plan on shooting that far, it may be a slight issue.  I ended up getting a 30 MOA base and it worked okay for me.  

Currently my rifle is set up with 20 moa base.
IMO with elevation adjustment and reticle I'll be able to shoot at 1000 yards and most likely beyond.
“Don't carry a gun. It's nice to have them close by, but don't carry them. You might get arrested.” J.G.
KIMBER8400AT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Vig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIMBER8400AT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 11:25

Originally posted by KIMBER8400AT KIMBER8400AT wrote:

but in no way I need anybodys opinion on how to conduct my business.

Was that really necessary?  He was not trying to tell you how to do your business, he was just tossing out options.  Loco 

One always has that option buying different scopes, comparing them and keeping the one that they liked. But IMO the purpose of this forum is to obtain sufficient knowledge to skip the above step. Otherwise why even join a forum.
“Don't carry a gun. It's nice to have them close by, but don't carry them. You might get arrested.” J.G.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 11:33

Was that really necessary?  He was not trying to tell you how to do your business, he was just tossing out options.  Loco 

One always has that option buying different scopes, comparing them and keeping the one that they liked. But IMO the purpose of this forum is to obtain sufficient knowledge to skip the above step. Otherwise why even join a forum.

To give you better information on what options to TRY.  No one has your eyes, your like/dislikes, and certainly not your thought processes.  Recommendations are just that... the end user has to "finally decide".
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Vig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIMBER8400AT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 11:40
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

To give you better information on what options to TRY.  No one has your eyes, your like/dislikes, and certainly not your thought processes.  Recommendations are just that... the end user has to "finally decide".

Then in any scenario when one needs comparison b/w scopes u could just advice to get them all see what u like and return the rest. The Qn is would that apptoach do any service?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 11:43
You've been given a lot of latitude.  It is clear you fit the definition of obtuse...

reason is not automatic... those who deny it cannot be defeated by it...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 11:48

You've been given a lot of latitude.  It is clear you fit the definition of obtuse...

more than deserved
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 11:56
I don't understand why you are arguing about this.  You asked for opinions, they were given.  You have decided the PST is the best choice for you.  At this point none of us care at all what you choose. 

The PST is a decent scope and it fits your wants.  Why not leave it at that and get what you want.  Yes, the Sightron has some features that are better than what the PST offers, that is why Ernie was recommending that you try it.  But it does not have one of your wants and it does not sound like that want it negotiable, which is fine.  Really the PST is the only choice in your price range that has the exact features you want.  You would have to jump up to Nightforce to get a better scope with your required specs. 

Just post some pics when you get it all mounted up and let us know how you like it. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Vig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIMBER8400AT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 12:27

8.  SWFA's OpticsTalk forum is a peaceful community of like minded shooting, hunting and outdoors enthusiasts.  Open minded, logical, rational debates are healthy and welcome.  Close minded, agenda pushing, strong handed debates (bordering on arguments) to prove one's position or point simply for the sake of winning or to gain some perceived power are not welcome.

Needles to say you are violating the above rule,
Hence I'm not gonna even entertain ur last comments.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Vig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIMBER8400AT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 12:31

I don't understand why you are arguing about this.  You asked for opinions, they were given.  You have decided the PST is the best choice for you.  At this point none of us care at all what you choose. 

The PST is a decent scope and it fits your wants.  Why not leave it at that and get what you want.  Yes, the Sightron has some features that are better than what the PST offers, that is why Ernie was recommending that you try it.  But it does not have one of your wants and it does not sound like that want it negotiable, which is fine.  Really the PST is the only choice in your price range that has the exact features you want.  You would have to jump up to Nightforce to get a better scope with your required specs. 

Just post some pics when you get it all mounted up and let us know how you like it. 

Just ordered the pst.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 12:38

8.  SWFA's OpticsTalk forum is a peaceful community of like minded shooting, hunting and outdoors enthusiasts.  Open minded, logical, rational debates are healthy and welcome.  Close minded, agenda pushing, strong handed debates (bordering on arguments) to prove one's position or point simply for the sake of winning or to gain some perceived power are not welcome.

You're playing with fire.  Your stay here is on borrowed time.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 12:47
I hope you enjoy it.
Just got back from an appointment-Wow!
I wasn't trying to cause a problem, just offering possible options.
I have several Sightron's, and several Vortex optics.
Both of my Vortex optics are of the Razor HD persuasion.  I have never used the PST myself though.
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Vig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIMBER8400AT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 12:49
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

You're playing with fire.  Your stay here is on borrowed time.

We're all guests in this world, our permanent home is upstairs.
I hope this was not a threat.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Vig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIMBER8400AT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 12:56
Originally posted by Ernie Bishop Ernie Bishop wrote:

I hope you enjoy it.
Just got back from an appointment-Wow!
I wasn't trying to cause a problem, just offering possible options.
I have several Sightron's, and several Vortex optics.
Both of my Vortex optics are of the Razor HD persuasion.  I have never used the PST myself though.

I know that ur offered options were sencere Ernie, and I thanked u for it.
As far as problems, we're just debating; although deviating from the purpose of the forum.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 13:03

KIMBER, I'd like to know how the new scope works out for you. I tend to think in MOA too, but have started using a Mil/Mil scope. I'd like to know how well you can range with a MOA reticle.

Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Vig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIMBER8400AT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 13:09
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

KIMBER, I'd like to know how the new scope works out for you. I tend to think in MOA too, but have started using a Mil/Mil scope. I'd like to know how well you can range with a MOA reticle.

Sure thing man,
I'll make a full report on its accuracy at different distances, will also test the reticle.
I'll keep u guys informed.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 13:11
CoolThunbs Up
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 18:53
Gentlemen, 

How about we all get along?

There were not threats here that I am aware of and Mr Kimber8400 has clearly looked over the rules and will (I hope) abide by them.

Quite a few of us had a rough start when we first showed up on OpticsTalk, so let's not get all excited about this.

Kimber8400, let me know how that PST works out.  It is a nice scope and I hope it will work well for you.

ILya
Savage11B View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Savage11B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2012 at 00:19

+1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic