OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Why should I buy a Top of the Line Scope!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why should I buy a Top of the Line Scope!
    Posted: July/02/2012 at 20:45
I have a real beef about this !! as long as it holds Zero thats It!!!! 100 Buck to 2000 buck! I want your imput! 
Rant View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2012 at 20:48
I will even buy top of the Line mount > but a scope????? i WILL GIVE YOU 24 hOURS TO MAKE YOUR pOINT!
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2012 at 20:52
Old Mil ftw
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2012 at 20:54
You shouldnt as you clearly have not determined that better scopes are needed for your use. I suggest that you stick with a $29.95 Tasco - well they may have gone up a tad since I bought mine a few years back but last trip to the range I was able to tell it has given up as it shoots at one point of impact at 3x and an entirely different point of impact at 9x so bye bye old cheap pos scope.  Now will I give up my more expensive scopes any time soon - NOT LIKELY.  I can find value in having tritium and fiber optic illumination on my Trijicons.  I can find value in the reliable adjustments of my Super Snipers.  I can find value in the clear glass and useful Z800 reticle of my Zeiss Conquest.  I can find value in the warranty of my Leupolds. I can find value in the warranty of my Vortex.  You on the other hand cant so you are probably wasteing your time here.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rant View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2012 at 20:57
You shouldnt as you clearly have not determined that better scopes are needed for your use. I suggest that you stick with a $29.95 Tasco>> i SEE YOU REALLY DONT hUNT>>> NOT REALLY hUNT eLK IN rOCKIES!  
Rant View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2012 at 20:58
Thats A start, My friend > lets Get Going .
Rant View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2012 at 21:08
When you have a 1,500 buck scope sitting in your Pickup  looking good for 10 years >>> Thats COOL> worth all the money > just a bit of Spit Pollish will do.
Rant View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2012 at 21:26
What Im getting At is Scopes are like a new car . very X > but once off the lot they are worth Nothing. Ok You take a rifle a Good proven Rifle is worth its weight in Gold ! so where is the weak link> the scope ! But Big Bucks and if Ridden hard and  put in wet Like real Hunters Do >> so that ridden hard worked  1,550 scope is worth a Buck and change! Word for thought!
Rant View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2012 at 21:28
even good scope mounts  are worth more!
Rant View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2012 at 22:30
hARD TO SWALLOW BUT tRUE!
Rant View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2012 at 22:45

So lets go the next level I have a 1,5oo Buck scope worked hard in Elk Hunts > offers >>>>> most would Pass>>Then you have the Cheaps >> they would start abour 150 Buick Bucks ! So whats with that 1,500 buck scope ?

billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2012 at 00:11
How good is the rifle if you can not reliably see your target, or engage that target at extended range? That is what the scope is for is it not? That is what is mine is for. Did my 10x SS that cost $300, do that? Damn right it did! Does my SS 5-20 that cost $1500 do that better? In my opinion it does! That is why I spent my money on it... And shop around the for sale sections on a couple of different forums, you will find that used scopes sell very well! Maybe not at retail, but at a good enough price for it to seem like renting more than buying...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2012 at 00:36
Originally posted by Rant Rant wrote:

What Im getting At is Scopes are like a new car . very X > but once off the lot they are worth Nothing. Ok You take a rifle a Good proven Rifle is worth its weight in Gold ! so where is the weak link> the scope ! But Big Bucks and if Ridden hard and  put in wet Like real Hunters Do >> so that ridden hard worked  1,550 scope is worth a Buck and change! Word for thought!

A lot of that statement is pure BS.  A scope is worth the money you pay for it.  And if it matters, I do hunt elk in the rockies.  I have blown apart 2 scopes under recoil of my 270 and 300.  The money I pay for a good reliable, durable, repeatable scope with good optics that allow me to see the difference between that cow and spike so I don't shoot the wrong animal.  That scope you say is worth nothing helps make my rifle that good proven instrument.

As for the scope being the weak link, I will call BS on that.  If you buy a scope that isn't a POS, it won't be weak.  Many times the weak link happens to be in the rings or mounts.  Or just maybe in come cases the person trying to operate it all.

Yes, a $100 dollar scope can get the job done, but I have no faith in them for the most part.  If that is what a person can afford, get the best of what you can afford and want to spend.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2012 at 00:39
I'm not sure I would try to reason with someone who has already made up their mind.
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2012 at 00:40
Originally posted by Rant Rant wrote:

even good scope mounts  are worth more!

Good scope mounts don't do you any good if you have a scope in them that won't stand under recoil, won't track properly, fogs under all conditions.  Good scope mounts are important to a good setup, but are not the end all.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2012 at 00:41
Originally posted by Ernie Bishop Ernie Bishop wrote:

I'm not sure I would try to reason with someone who has already made up their mind.

Words of wisdom sir!!  I guess I only attempt for others than may come in to read, and be misled.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2012 at 06:02
I have done the same thing for the very same reason before-Good motivation in my opinion.
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2012 at 07:18
This thread is like talking to Bill O'Reilly or someone similar..... for entertainment purposes only. Big Grin
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2012 at 10:53
Sounds like Rant is an armchair expert who already knows everything.

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2012 at 11:17
Troll
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic