OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

choices of those from germany

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: choices of those from germany
    Posted: July/01/2012 at 20:30
Heres the situation - opinions please...

High end glassing binoculars for elk/mule deer/antelope hunting out west.
Going with 8X because there is a high end spotter to judge trophy quality.

Options...

Show Sample Steiner Peregrine XP 8x44 - $850.00
Show Sample Zeiss Conquest HD 8X42- $700.00
Used Leica Trinovid bn 8X42 - $6-700ish (ebay)
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2012 at 10:40
Staying with that list...

Trust me here, the Peregrine XP is by a LONG shot the best of the bunch.  It is as good as ANYTHING else from europe.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

ahiaring View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2012 at 11:28
klamath,

If he could get a demo pair for $7-800.00 would you consider this a good buy?

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2012 at 14:59
Originally posted by ahiaring ahiaring wrote:

klamath,

If he could get a demo pair for $7-800.00 would you consider this a good buy?

Are you kidding Big Smile!  A like new condition show demo for half price?  I'll have to really think of ways to not call that a good deal....OK I tried...couldn't do it...yes that would be a really good deal. Big Smile.  The Prergrine XP is the only alpha class binocular I have ever really seriously considered buying...I didn't and that's another story.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2012 at 15:35
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

Staying with that list...

Trust me here, the Peregrine XP is by a LONG shot the best of the bunch.  It is as good as ANYTHING else from europe.

I've seen most of the best of the best and Klamath is on the money.  Those Steiner's are fantastic, on par with anything I've ever looked through including FL's, Swaro SLC HD's, EL's, EDG.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2012 at 16:40
It is really amazing how many people are resistant to the notion that a mere Steiner could compare with the "Big 3". Of course, most if not all of them have never looked through the Peregrine XP's or any other Steiner's in the last 20 years.
ccd3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccd3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2012 at 17:11

Do they have more than one Steiner?  You allowed to say who has them if you dont buy?

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2012 at 17:23
If it's optics it's considered "advertising" when you mention other deals.
ahiaring View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2012 at 12:15
So my cousin Tyler won the ebay auction from Steinerdirect for a pair of 8x44 demo pair of peregrine xp's for $711.00, I am thinking he got a good deal
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2012 at 12:54

So my cousin Tyler won the ebay auction from Steinerdirect for a pair of 8x44 demo pair of peregrine xp's for $711.00, I am thinking he got a good deal
I saw that auction and did wonder if that was the binocular.  You will see some absolute denial that anybody aside from Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss and maybe Nikon have any inherent ability to produce a top level optical instrument.  Your cousin got a screaming deal.  Pay no attention to naysayers telling you "I looked through a Steiner once..."
Steve

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2012 at 14:10

I saw that auction and did wonder if that was the binocular.  You will see some absolute denial that anybody aside from Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss and maybe Nikon have any inherent ability to produce a top level optical instrument.  Your cousin got a screaming deal.  Pay no attention to naysayers telling you "I looked through a Steiner once..."

Would be the same if I said I wouldn't want a GT-40 or Shelby GT-500 cause my 1980 Pinto ws a POS.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2012 at 17:40
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Would be the same if I said I wouldn't want a GT-40 or Shelby GT-500 cause my 1980 Pinto ws a POS.

Laugh Above   That's funny right there!!  the Pinto was a POS though!  Yes, I'm a rabid Ford man too!

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
ahiaring View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2012 at 13:13
Klamath - 

I read a post on another thread from you that said steiner has a chinese factory. Am I correct to assume that the Peregrine XP is actually german and comes from their germany factory?

BTW - Im not against chinese - Im a huge Zen Ray Supporter
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2012 at 14:20

As far a I know, yes Steiner has a factory in China.  What they make there I do not know.  I doubt Steiner will say anything either.   Assumptions can have their problems but I assume the Peregrine XP is German.  Look for definite printed info that says "Made in Germany".  If it doesn't say it is, it probably isn't.  I don't remember.

Minox is another "German" company with huge ties to the asian  (both Japanese and Chinese) optics industry.  You will see lots of "German Engineering", "German design". "German this or that" but maybe no actual "Made in Germany".
Steve

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2012 at 15:36
I have asked those type questions myself and was told that all Steiner bino's are made in the Bayreuth, Germany factory. There are "small parts" that every optics company outsources from around the globe.

No chinese dudes were filmed in the making of this video....................Big Grin

Edited by Roy Finn - July/07/2012 at 16:23
lzeplin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lzeplin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2012 at 22:13
loved the video, didn't know bino's were made that way,
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2012 at 12:04
Steiner Peregrine XP is definitely the best of those 3.

If your cousin got a like-new pair for $711, he got an incredible deal!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2012 at 18:01
Excellent video.Thanks Roy Excellent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2012 at 20:11
Check out the Kowa Genesis 8.5 X 44 some time.

Peddler Big Smile
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2012 at 11:37
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

Check out the Kowa Genesis 8.5 X 44 some time.

Peddler Big Smile
It was out of the discussion because it was not on the list.  Kinda hard to keep stuff sort of on track as it is Smile.  Having said that, the Kowa Genesis is another seldom recognized alpha level glass.  The Genesis binocular is certainly appropriate to include in an alpha class discussion.  Kowa spotters particularly the 883 & 884 are probably the best quality spotters you can buy.  The binocular has two things that work against it to a greater or lesser degree compared to the Swaro 8.5 x glass.  One is that the Kowa has a smaller fov, not much but enough to matter to some.  Like the new Swaro EL it is afflicted to one degree or another with rolling ball, an unaviodable side effect to a very low pincushion, sharp edge image.
Steve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic