OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Get my rig scoped

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Get my rig scoped
    Posted: March/04/2006 at 21:37

Hey Guys, new to OT and would like to give a rundown as to what I'm trying to do.

I have a DPMS Panther LR-.308, 24" barrel, Harris bipod, JP trigger, and a bunch of mags. I need a scope to meet my needs but get confused with so many options. I have been eying OT for a while and think the opinions here would serve me very well.

The only scopes I have ever owned were Leupold Vari X III 4.5 X 14 50mm AO HVY DPX. I have never fired any other scoped weapons, ecxept for the ones I use in the Army, as a Designated Marksman. I guess you could say they have all been Leupolds.

I need a scope that will foster deer hunting with a .308 cal. from say 25 - 400 yards. I also intend on shooting varmints at long range with handloads. The coyote problem in my neck of the woods is also becoming a concern as I live on a big farm. I have never hunted them and don't know the exact demands this type of hunting will put on a scope. I do hear that low light conditions for this type of hunting is the norm.

I'm in the Army, leaving TX., and returning home with my getting out of the Army paritng gift. The aformentioned DPMS. It's been so long since I have hunted with my own weapons that I can't remember what the scopes on them look like. I know that using what you have as a baseline is the best thing to do when comparing scopes. I unfortunatly don't have the pleasure of having a photographic memory.

I would appreciate input as to power, brand, Objective diameter, and reticle. This scope must have AO as I am a beleiver in having one. It must be variable power, as this will be a multi tasking rifle. And as far as the cost range, I will save money according to the input from you all. I wil say I do not like paying more for less, or more for same just becouse of a name. I have liked my previous mentioned scopes, but I understand that other manufacturers have improved their product lines, and I don't want my choice to be biased in any way.

hi speed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2006 at 22:05
C'mon guys, I know you're out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Charlie70 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2006 at 22:37

That is a fine rifle you have, and my advice is don't skimp on optics or mounting hardware. There is a wide selection of damn good scopes with an even wider range in price. When it comes down to it, you are going to get many varying opinions and you will ultimately have to decide for yourself what you want. If you are accustomed to Leupold and have been satisfied with their performance, definitely keep them on your list. You may want to check out some of their different models you have not used before.

On a sidenote, you mentioned using handloads. I reload also, but remember one thing, the warranty on your DPMS is voided if you run them through it.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2006 at 03:36

Welcome to The OT, Brother!!

Before we get to far along, do you have a budget in mind?

We can literally take you from a $299 Super Sniper to a $1500 US Optics SN-4, and everything in between.

Give us a little insight to your financial status.   Roger?

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
hi speed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2006 at 21:20
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Welcome to The OT, Brother!!

Before we get to far along, do you have a budget in mind?

We can literally take you from a $299 Super Sniper to a $1500 US Optics SN-4, and everything in between.

Give us a little insight to your financial status.   Roger?

Good to be here! The Super Sniper sure seems to be a very good deal but it's fixed power rules it out. I would be enclined to say within $500. If more is needed I can save a few more weeks. I want the best bang for the buck.
hi speed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2006 at 21:56
Is the Z 4.5 X 14 50mm better than the loopy in the same power?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2006 at 03:06

Originally posted by hi speed hi speed wrote:

Is the Z 4.5 X 14 50mm better than the loopy in the same power?

Do you mean the Zeiss Conquest??

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2006 at 08:40

I would suggest staying with a 30mm tube scope as you should have the skill to shoot out a little farther than the average guy.  Yes the Zeiss probably has better glass but the 30mm tube 4.5-14 Long Range Leupold has 100moa internal adjustment and little else does. You are correct that you will probably want the flexibility of a variable power  and the 4.5-14 or the 6-20 should be a good choice.  The top of the line is the U.S.Optics SN-3. Nightforce is a consideration I just dont like them. Even though it's a fixed 10X I wouldn't rule out the super sniper because it is a good value for a tough scope. I personally have Leupold Mark4 fixed 10x M3 the same as on an M24 and I have Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 illuminated mil dot M1, and   a couple of VXIII scopes a 4.5-14 and a 3.5-10 . With several types of adjustments available you need to start by saying how do I intend to use this scope. Will I dial in the correction for elevation and wind (which I think is likely) or will I hold over and shoot (probably will happen sometimes). The VXIII does have a finger adjustable turret but Nikon Monarch Gold has one that is easier to get your hand on. The M1 style tactical turrets stickup high enough to hang a flag on and while easy to get you hand on they are more suited to a rifle that lives in a hard case and comes out for police swat missions. The M3 will drive most people who target shoot nuts due to 1moa clicks elevation and 1/2 moa windage. The up side of the M3 turret is that it is the perfect height easy to get you hand on and not so high that it catches brush badly. M3 is just a little larger than the turret on Nikon Monarch Gold (1/4moa) and VXIII  (1/4moa).  My recommendation is that you stay with a low to medium profile turret on a gun that you drag through the brush, and likewise if it is a gun that lives in a hard case and comes out to play when it won't get treated as roughly like firing range and occasional still hunting the M1 is great.  Leupold service department can not be beat. There are other scoopes that have better glass than the Leupold but the Leupold is pretty darn good. Nikon suffers from a lack of different styles of reticles but makes an excellent scope. I like the VXIII Varmit reticle with wind drift marks, the TMR (tactical milling reticle) on Leupold Tacticals and the Nato type that is on IOR scoopes. Could I live with a duplex on a scope that I can dial in corrections from a laser rangefinder - you bet.  Sometimes you pick a scope based on a particular feature that you feel you need even though there are other things about it you do not like as well. Is it important to you that it have an illuminated reticle, is it important that it have the reticle in the 2nd focal plane, is it important that it have a lot of internal adjustment like 100moa. With Leupold tacticals  M1 is 1/4 moa clicks, M2 is 1/2 moa clicks, M3 is 1moa clicks. I'll show you a couple of scopes to consider that I think are worth a look (and they will all be over $500)

LEU51850 Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • Long Range
  • M3 Target Knobs
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers
  • Free Bullet Drop Compensator dials for .308, .300, .223
SWFA: $1,019.95
LEU60000 Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Tactical Milling Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • M1 Target Knobs
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers
SWFA: $1,229.95
LEU60150 New Leupold 2.5-8x36 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope New Leupold 2.5-8x36 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • M2 Target Knobs
  • Index Matched Lens System
SWFA: $1,059.95
LEU57170 Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-III 30mm Riflescope Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-III 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Varmint Hunters
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
  • Index Matched Lens System
SWFA: $769.95
6692 Nikon 2.5-10x44 Tactical 30mm Riflescope Nikon 2.5-10x44 Tac

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
hi speed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2006 at 11:41

To be honest, I bought this rifle after seeing a guy at the range cut a single hole, with 5 shots, at 100yds with one. I figured it would serve as a good reminder as to my service and be a good all round hunting/paper punching rifle.

I have owned 5 Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalkers with Leupold Vari X III 4.5 X 14 50mm AO HVY duplex scopes on them. A buddy who worked at a hunting store got the rifles and scopes for me at cost. They were chambered for .260, .270, .280, 7mm Rem Mag., and 338. The only one I still own is the .280. In my opinion it can do anything any of the others could do with the exception of the .338.

The .338 is overkill in my opinion and the .280's 7mm bullet offers great reloading choices. I have never missed a deer with my .280, although I did get lucky a couple of times with pre 25 yd. shots.LOL. Now that I have a Glock 10mm pistol to handle the close range deer hunting efforts, and I have no doubt the LR .308 is more accurate than my beloved bolt gun and therefore will be used at long range for deer and varmints.

My ability to make shots at long range is there and I am confident in my abilities and the capability of the .308 cartridge. Really, the range on deer is dictated by the affective range of the .308 on this size animal. 500 yds may be pushing it a little so I'll not get crazy with ranges much further than this. Humane kills are the only way to go in my opinion. "If the ghost in my dreams happens to be hangin around at a couple hundred yards further" HAHAHAHAHAHA! That bad boys on the wall.

I really have no preference as to turret type. The reticle will obviously dictatae the use of them or overhanging the target. In combat, I used the overhang method of aiming, as targets in these situations rarely stay still or open. I did recognize the need for better light gathering abilities in the scenerios encountered in Iraq.

I wonder if the extra cost for the M/4 Leupold is worth it?  Are they that much better than the VX III's.

Thanks for the input guys. Hi Speed.

Going to drive 100 miles from post and look through several of the scopes mentioned, and will get back to you with my observations.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2006 at 15:09

Hi Speed:

God bless and thank you for your service, my friend.

Looking through several scopes OUTSIDE is the best way to determine the best for you.

hi speed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2006 at 19:30
  The leupold VX III"s were pretty good. The Zeiss Conquest's were good as well. I checked out nightforce scopes as well and they seemed to be as good as the other two. I am at the conclusion that I can't go wrong either way. I guess you could base a decision on looks and be very satisfied with the performance of any of these scopes. Thanks for the help guys! I'll let ya'll know how it shoots when I get the scope. Don't have enough money yet for the one I want...
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2006 at 09:45
When you are talking about scopes in the over $500 range they are all pretty good. I know you are after a variable but if you want a fun scope that is tough and not outrageously priced the 10x Super Sniper is a nice choice for that rifle. At $299. or $399 with side focus it is a tough military scope and in current military use in Iraq.  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic