OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHILLIE.308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope cleaning
    Posted: June/25/2012 at 21:46
When scope cleaning I haved used rubbing alcohol, windex, and coton swabs and I still get streaks on my glass! Even though, Windex says streak free. What do you guys use to clean your glass?
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2012 at 21:55
ZEISS Lens wipes has been working for me, available just about anywhere.  I think I picked mine up at Wall Mart.  Follow the directions and you shouldn't have any problems with streaks.  Remember to clean any debris off with a brush and don't try to polish the lens.

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2012 at 22:27
Windex is not recommended for coated optical glass.
-Matt
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2012 at 23:18
+1 on the Zeiss.If you don't have the coin for Zeiss go to any store where they make glasses & I'm sure they will be able to help you out.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
GHILLIE.308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHILLIE.308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2012 at 23:33
Thnaks guys!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2012 at 01:13
If you have been using Windex on your scopes, chances are you have either damaged the coatings on the outer glass surfaces or left some odd stains on them (or both).  I would check with the manufacturers on whether they can recoat them for you.

ILya
kesi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2012 at 03:38
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2012 at 04:26
If I had a girlfriend, I wouldn't need lens cleaner because I'd be dead. (Wife only needs open sights to get that job done).

Zeiss wipes and cleaning fluid have worked best for me.
Reaction time is a factor...
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2012 at 06:46
I think about an 8000 grit sandpaper works as well as Windex...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2012 at 07:34
Another vote for the Zeiss wipes. My wife gets them @ Wally World.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2012 at 07:53
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHILLIE.308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2012 at 07:53
I called Leupold awhile back and they said windex would be fine use. Maybe I should call them back up.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2012 at 08:02
I hope you wrote down that person's name and the time/date you called.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHILLIE.308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2012 at 08:24
The Tech guy said they use acetone to clean lenses so he said windex would not hurt the lens. I just hate those streaks! So I will call them back up.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2012 at 08:42
I would try some of the professional glass cleaners mentioned above.  Don't "scrub" to hard on any glass surface no matter what method you use.   A few swipes with a brush and then a quick squirt of air to blow off any particles then use the wipes above as directed on the packages.  This will be the best cleaning method you can do for normal use.  If its extremely dirty I'll use the brush then rinse under a stream of water, once dry I start the above process again.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2012 at 12:30
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Windex is not recommended for coated optical glass.

That's right.

You will remove every coating on the lenses. Amonia will strip it right off. Skull Wink

You need to use something that is amonia free. Zeiss is what I use as well as David.

For the exterior, I would just wipe it off with a lint free towel.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2012 at 12:56
Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

Zeiss is what I use as well as David.

Interesting!  That's the first I've ever heard anyone recommend using David to clean lenses!

Good tip, bro!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2012 at 12:59
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

Zeiss is what I use as well as David.

Interesting!  That's the first I've ever heard anyone recommend using David to clean lenses!

Good tip, bro!

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2012 at 13:23

BS Flag
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2012 at 14:09
Just how do you use David to clean your lenses? Do use him in a circlar motion or back and forth? Do you chop him into small pieces and rub them on the lense, or do you shove the scope in an oriface and shake vigorusly until clean? Do you just give him the scope and he knows some super secret  method to clean the scope that no one else knows?
I must know how you use this David.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic