OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > The Weather Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Summer is here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Summer is here
    Posted: June/25/2012 at 11:55
Not looking good for a while.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2012 at 12:08

Whacko  Aw geeze!!

What's the humidity supposed to be like?
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2012 at 12:09
That would kill me.  I get uncomfortable when it hits 80F
God save the Empire!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2012 at 12:16

After laying blacktop for some yrs I can take the heat but the more humid the harder.  After working with that 300 to 400 degree stuff when you walk away from it even 100+ temps feel cool.  At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2012 at 12:17
Soap BoxGlobal warning and Al Gores faught
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2012 at 12:19
We're getting clobbered right now by tropical storm Deb, 55mph winds and tons of rain.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2012 at 12:24

I HOPE all stay safe with not much damage.

It's dryer than a popcorn fart around here.  All the rain keeps missing us.  Brush fires started over the weekend.  Even someones bailer caught fire.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2012 at 12:35
3_tens is sending those temps my way later this week.
I'd rather get Pyro and lucytuma's weather right now.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2012 at 13:10
Humidity was 47% yesterday. Not so bad. Now at 101 and 39%  109 Index. This is the reason I'm in the office today. Big Smile
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2012 at 14:25

Cool!!!!  Oh yea!

My SIL just started an office job with a new company last week after 19yrs in the field. 
   He's LUV'N life.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 13:05

Well,summer's officially here.  2:04 pm @ 103.4 degrees.  AND windy Loco.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 13:35
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Well,summer's officially here.  2:04 pm @ 103.4 degrees.  AND windy Loco.
Wait til tomorrow, the temp will be the same, but the wind will be calm.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 13:49

...................with increasing humidity.

You know I could enjoy this weather if we wouldn't have had such a wussy winter.  Nothing to look forward to.   Sad
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2012 at 12:52
Jeepers...Charlotte is looking to hit 105 today. It's a hot son of a pup out there! 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2012 at 18:01
106 in Huntsville today.  Supposed to be back in the low 90's/high 80's this week, next week in mid-70's... 
Wild.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2012 at 20:03
Unexpected thunderstorm in process right now... It was not forecast this morning... just goes to show how well weather can be predicted...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2012 at 08:37
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Unexpected thunderstorm in process right now... It was not forecast this morning... just goes to show how well weather can be predicted...
Yeah- weather is weather? Then how well are they predicting the climate? Good enough for the EPA to order the shutdown of coal- fired power generation all over the country and for the courts to uphold the EPA's order?
We're in a heap o' trouble.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2012 at 09:57
I do believe we are experiencing global warming, but I also believe the cause is that big bright ball in the sky, and there aint a dang thing we can do about it.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2012 at 11:21

This power plant is about 60mi from me.  It feeds large parts of MD,VA,and WV.  Uses roughly 15,000 tons of coal a day. Like any coal-burning power station, Mt. Storm produces airborne particles known as fly ash. After the hot combustion gases containing fly ash leave the station's boilers, they pass through multi-million dollar electrostatic precipitators. The precipitators function like giant electric air cleaners to remove 99 percent of the ash.

Mt. Storm Power Station also uses the latest technology to remove sulfur dioxide from the environment. Lime stone scrubbers capture approximately 95 percent of the SO2 from the burners. Combined with the limestone slurry, the SO2 becomes solid gypsum and is stored in a landfill.

The Mt. Storm Power Station is the largest coal-fired power station managed by Dominion. Mt. Storm's three units can generate nearly 1,600 megawatts of electricity – as much in one hour as 160 average homes use in one year.

Mt. Storm is located on Mt. Storm Lake in the rugged Allegheny Mountains of northeastern West Virginia. The 1,200-acre lake, built to serve the station, also serves as a public recreation area for fishing,boating,swimming,and a VERY popular site for scuba diving.  No charge for usage. I couldn't find the total area coverd by the installation including the lake but would guesstimate another 2 to 4 hundred acres.  Lets just round it off to 2000 acres total.  My point is that the amount of area covered by windmills that have been constructed in the last 10yrs or so around us covers much more area than the Mt. Storm plant.  So how much electric do they supply to the plublic?  None.

Mount Storm Power Station
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2012 at 11:41
I live within hearing distance of a coal fired power plant on the Ohio River, and can see it from the backside of my property. It also uses the same pollution controls as the Mt. Storm plant. Several years ago, there were some complaints from home owners that live next to the plant, about damage to their homes and cars from the ash. Extra scrubbers were added and the problem stopped. Other than that, and the noise (which is not that bad), and the power lines that come across my property, I have no complaints.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic