OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anyone Know What Height Rings I Need?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone Know What Height Rings I Need?
    Posted: March/04/2006 at 11:40

I'm putting a Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32X40MM on a Savage 12VLP.  I'm planning on using the Leupold Quick Release Weaver Base (2 piece) #LEU49833 and the Leupold Quick Release Weaver 1" Rings.  I'm not sure what height I need .... Low, Medium or High.  Anybody out there know for sure?

If someone can post the heights of each of these I'l be able to mount the bases and then based on the clearances of the scope I will be able to figure it out.  I would need to know the thickness of the metal on each of the mounts.  Not a bad idea to have posted on the Riflescopes website ... rather than just "low, medium, and high"

Edited by macky
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2006 at 03:54
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
macky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2006 at 08:13
So I followed the link.  I selected my rifle ... what should I use for the scope?  The only ones listed are Leupold and the scope I'll be using is the Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32x40mm.  I picked a couple of 40mm Leupold scopes and they all came up medium .... does that mean the medium is the one for the Bushnell too?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2006 at 10:13

Does the 4200 have an AO?? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2006 at 10:14

Originally posted by macky macky wrote:

does that mean the medium is the one for the Bushnell too?

Probably....

macky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2006 at 10:34
Yes it does have AO .... Funny I was just looking back over some posts about the Bushnell 8-32x40mm Scope ... I keep seeing people saying that the power is too high.  I think you were one of them Cheaptrick .... I haven't order it yet  .... I keep going back and forth.  My problem is that an 8 1/2 x 11 Target @ 100 yards is so much bigger looking through a higher power scope .... maybe I shouldn't be so wrapped up in the idea that "bigger target is better" ..... I know the higher power would make close in stuff more differcult ... see, now if I could only hit the lottery I could buy a bunch of them and just let the ones that I don't like gather dust

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2006 at 10:56

You probably read several post's of mine where I rail against high power scopes.  

Anything over 17x is of little use to me.

Some days even 17x is too much and can't be used because of mirage or heat waves.

How far out are you going to shoot typically?

I will be shooting groups on paper out to 300 yds typically and further ocasionally.

I went with the 10x42mm Super Sniper w/ rear a parallax adjustment. (I'm a lefty.)

SWFA has sold a ton of the SS's to folks who routinely shoot out to 1000 yards and beyond. 

Just my .02, Macky.

macky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2006 at 11:15
We have a 100 yard range at my local club.  I'm pretty new to all of this ... just joined the club ..... and I'm putting together a Savage 12VLP .223 that I want to use there on targets.  My plan is to spend some time to learn hand loading and making the rifle as accurate as I can.  In my "unexperienced mind" it seemd that I wanted the target as big as I could get it.  I'm also planning on doing some hunting.  A friend owns 6000 plus acres of apple orchards and gave me free reign .... I was starting to read up on Calling coyotes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2006 at 11:21

The SS is a great learner scope. Maybe The best.

Mildot's (Pick up a Mil Dot Master)

Target knobs

Fixed 10x

Rugged as they come.

$300 plus some 30mm rings and your good to go.

Start shooting!!

macky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2006 at 11:32
I'm looking for something with variable power.  The two on the top of my list right now are both Bushnell Elite 4200s .... one is the 6-24x40mm with Mil-Dot for $415.00 and the second is the 8-32x40mm with Muti-X fro $424.00 ... I saw the 32x and thought it was the better way to go (bigger is better  ) but maybe I ought to stick with the 6-24

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2006 at 11:42

Originally posted by macky macky wrote:

I saw the 32x and thought it was the better way to go (bigger is better  ) but maybe I ought to stick with the 6-24

Think "less is more".... 

macky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2006 at 11:59
Well I guess it was time to "s**t or get off the pot" .... I bought the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40mm with the Mil-Dot reticle.  Total price with shipping and all $425.00

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2006 at 12:02

PM Roy Finn on here. He's the resident "Elite Predator" and can help you.

Best of luck.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic