OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help me Decide Which Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me Decide Which Scope
    Posted: June/24/2012 at 07:42
Ok guys I know there are many post like mine on this forum but I would appriciate any info I can get. I have been looking for a new scope for my Ruger 7mm mag and have narrowed it down to two finalist.
Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56
Leupold VX 3L 4.5-14x56
I like both so much that I am having a hard time making a decision.
Thanks Guys
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2012 at 08:06
If you limit it to only those two definately the Zeiss. Leupold's 4.5x is really closer to 5x than it is to 4.5.   I am willing to give up something on the low to get a lot more on the high end like a 4-16 but  in this case I think you are better off with the 3x on the low end.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sir Hoppalot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Hoppalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2012 at 08:13
Indeed, having that low end (low) magnification can be really useful for close encounters, especially for an animal on the move.
"I don't know what World War III will be fought with, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
KIMBER8400AT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Vig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIMBER8400AT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2012 at 19:06
If you look at scopes used by military snipers, the objective is less than 50.  With this being said, I don't think 56 objective is going to be useful.  Therefore it is the most advantageous to have a smaller objective, but larger range of magnification (as stated by Urimaginerfrind and SirHoppalot).Cool
“Don't carry a gun. It's nice to have them close by, but don't carry them. You might get arrested.” J.G.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2012 at 19:28
Originally posted by KIMBER8400AT KIMBER8400AT wrote:

If you look at scopes used by military snipers, the objective is less than 50.  With this being said, I don't think 56 objective is going to be useful.  Therefore it is the most advantageous to have a smaller objective, but larger range of magnification (as stated by Urimaginerfrind and SirHoppalot).Cool

That is a grandiose statement with little basis.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2012 at 19:33

If you look at scopes used by military snipers, the objective is less than 50.  

Not so sure that's an entirely true statement. 

The S&B PM2 has a 50mm objective and used by US Marines and others, as does the NF NXS, which has been used by Canadian sniper teams/others. I freely concede that some scopes used by snipers have had, or have less than 50mm objectives, but bigger objectives is ceratinly in vogue these days.

Welcome to Optics Talk. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Vig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIMBER8400AT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2012 at 19:59
I can bet with anybody that any statements you guys make is not entirely true.  Any statement!
In the sniper training series (TV documentary), the scopes were less than 50.  I rather have a 40 objective and a larger range than 56 and 3-12 magnification.

“Don't carry a gun. It's nice to have them close by, but don't carry them. You might get arrested.” J.G.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2012 at 20:09
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2012 at 20:13

I can bet with anybody that any statements you guys make is not entirely true.  Any statement!

I'm not sure what all that means, Sir. 

I wasn't calling you a liar, just misinformed, or had a typo.I agreed with you that YES, there are scopes with less than 50mm objectives being implemented today by armed forces, and NO all "sniper scopes" being used these days are NOT less than 50mm. 

It was you Sir that made the blanket statement, not KB or I. Check fire...relax.... 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2012 at 20:20
And furthermore......Behold the 56mm, gold standard of "sniper" scopes....
THE COUNTER SNIPER!!!!! 

2.5/10-56 Weapon Mountable Optical Gunsights
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2012 at 20:21

In the sniper training series (TV documentary), the scopes were less than 50.  I rather have a 40 objective and a larger range than 56 and 3-12 magnification.

SCOPES50 Cal  -WE DONT NEED NO STINKING SCOPES WE HAVE BELT FED MACHINEGUNS AND CLOSE AIR SUPPORT   SCOPES ARE FOR THOSE WHO INTEND TO ACTUALLY HIT THEIR TARGET WITH THE FIRST SHOT >>>>

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2012 at 20:22
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

And furthermore......Behold the 56mm, gold standard of "sniper" scopes....
THE COUNTER SNIPER!!!!! 

2.5/10-56 Weapon Mountable Optical Gunsights

Roll on Floor Laughing I WOULDNT PUT THAT ON A BB GUN.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Vig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIMBER8400AT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2012 at 20:28
Look man,
my point is that you do not need to spend money on a 56 objective, b/c it's not useful.  If I were the guy buying the scope with 56 objective, I wouldn't because it is better to spend the money on a larger magnification than larger objective.

As far as being relaxed, I am plenty relaxed trick!
that is your name right?
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2012 at 20:39
Advantage of a 56mm is the exit eye pupil size and increased light transmission in low light.  For example you can have a 56mm objective scope set on 12X and still have a 4.6mm exit eye pupil  or set it at 10x and have a 5.6mm exit eye pupil  (7 being maximum useable brightness) In low light this can be very valuable especially with Zeiss glass.
Disadvantage of a 56mm is the cheekweld needs compensation however there are adjustable cheek pads and several styles of accessory cheek pads which can be used to fine tune cheekweld.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2012 at 20:50
Not that there is anything wrong with having more power its just a different choice:
Swarovski 3.5-18x44 Z5 Riflescope Plex Swarovski 3.5-18x44 Z5 Riflescope
Stock # - SWA59760
  • Matte
  • Plex
  • 1"
  • Ballistic Turret
  • Side Focus
$1,549.00 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2012 at 21:09

The two scopes being used by the Marine Corps Scout Snipers currently are:
 Except the Schmidt has a GenII reticle and MTC knobs that were installed by Premier before the Mrines got them. Also in service in lesser numbers are the 5-25x56 from Premier. Special Forces and the Army have a lot of different optics, several of which have over 50mm objectives.
 Quoting the Discovery channel? Really?
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2012 at 11:44
For me, I like the listed Conquest mag.range and I like Conquest constant eye relief.
On the other hand, Gold rings are kinda snazzy.

C'mon guys- he saw it on TV!
Couldn't you have at least shown him a Counter Sniper with the ultra- trick razzmatazz reticle?

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2012 at 12:11
Since the thread originator is planning to put this scope on a Ruger chambered for 7mm, i think we can safely assume his application is hunting of some sort.

From that we can comfortably infer that whatever military snipers choose to use on their guns has approximately zero relevance to this application.  For the record, however, military snipers around the world use day riflescopes with objective lenses ranging in size from 40mm to 72mm, with a 50mm being likely the most prevalent size today.

Since the OP is looking at 56mm scopes, I presume his application has an emphasis on low light use.
Between his two options, I would recommend the Conquest.  I think that 3x on the low end will make a difference.

I would also suggest he consider Meopta Meostar 3-12x56 will illuminated #4, if the eye relief is sufficient.

Keep in ind that Conquest and Meopta have FFP reticles, while the Leupold has SFP reticle.

ILya
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2012 at 12:37
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I would also suggest he consider Meopta Meostar 3-12x56 will illuminated #4, if the eye relief is sufficient.

Keep in ind that Conquest and Meopta have FFP reticles, while the Leupold has SFP reticle.

ILya
Yikes, I didn't realize the Conquest has an FFP reticle. That changes my recommendation to the Leupold. All apologies.

Please forgive my manners- Welcome to the OT forums, flipmo.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2012 at 12:45

Most. 
Awesome.
Post.
Evar!

Some had sniper training with no TV involved.
Koshkin is right, 50mm is the most prevalent.
Koshkin is also right that comparing a small portion of a sniper's gear to what a hunter needs is wholly irrelevant.

To the OP, is there a reason you have narrowed it to just those 2?  There are several other good options for a 7mm mag.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic