OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problems
    Posted: June/17/2012 at 16:15
I believe its been money wasted but I'm going to ask anyway.

I have a new 6.8 Bison Armory AR.  I found one of the 1.25x4 Leupold Zombie scopes locally for a good price and bought it.  I put the scope in a Burris PERP mount.  I've run out of adjustments and its still around 7 inches high at 100 yards. 

I ordered an Americn Defense 20 moa mounts.  I'm out of adjustments and still shooting a little over # inces high at 100 yards.

What else can I do if anything to get some adjustment back?

Tim
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2012 at 16:26
That scope should have more than enough adjustment to handle a 20MOA rail.  Would have to have way more information on how you are mounting the thing.  Scopes have been defective at sale before.  Contact Leupold CS.  They generally take care of whatever the ailment may be.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
TimW View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2012 at 17:06
It's a flattop receiver with pictanny rail system.
The AD-RECON cantilver 20 moa scope mount is mounted to the receiver only.  

I just don't have anymore adjustments that can be made to bring it closer than 3" high at 100 yards

Tim
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2012 at 19:33
Plus 20 moa bases wont work with all scopes.  I dont run a plus 20 moa on an AR.  I prefer La Rue Tactical's one piece mount for an AR but  the BOBRO is also a quality mount.   Is this the scope you are using?  If so   90 MOA should be plenty of adjustment. I would be calling the rifle manufacturer and also calling Leupold because one or the other is not right.  Have you tried any other optic on the rifle?
Leupold 1.25-4x20 VX-R Patrol Tactical 30mm Riflescope Leupold 1.25-4x20 VX-R Patrol Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU113769
  • Matte
  • FireDot SPR
  • 30mm
  • 1-Button Illumination
  • Motion Sensor
  • Index Matched Lens Coatings
  • Lead-Free Edge-
    Elevation Adj. Range (MOA)90
    Windage Adj. Range (MOA)90
    Blackened Lenses
$579.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
TimW View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2012 at 20:16
I've had a Hawk Optic variable on the gun.  That scope was fine.  It was just far to much scope because of magnification and weight. 

Basically its the VX-R Scope just with a buch of zombie stuff and green dot instead of the red.

I have an e-mail into Bison and Leupold just to see what is going on.

tim
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2012 at 22:23
Originally posted by TimW TimW wrote:

I believe its been money wasted but I'm going to ask anyway.

I have a new 6.8 Bison Armory AR.  I found one of the 1.25x4 Leupold Zombie scopes locally for a good price and bought it.  I put the scope in a Burris PERP mount.  I've run out of adjustments and its still around 7 inches high at 100 yards. 

I ordered an Americn Defense 20 moa mounts.  I'm out of adjustments and still shooting a little over # inces high at 100 yards.

What else can I do if anything to get some adjustment back?

Tim

I find it interesting that you are 7 inches high at 100yds and when you add a 20 MOA mount you are now only 3 inches high. If the scope is consistent, adding a 20 MOA mount should put you roughly 27 inches high at 100yds. And not bring you closer to your POA.

I am wondering if you have over tightened the rings on your PERP mount causing your scope to bind and not adjust properly. Did you use a torque wrench when tightening the screws? I am not sure what the PERP mounts are made of but the torque range is 15 to 25 inch pounds depending on whether it is steel or aluminum.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2012 at 11:22
You stated that the scope was purchased locally. Was it new? Was the seller an Authorized Leupold dealer? There has been a lot of Fake Leupold's on the market in the  last few years.
Sparky has a point, if your were numbers and timeline is correct. Your POI is going in the wrong direction.

One sure way to check a scope for adjustment issues is to count the full range of adjustment to see if it corresponds close to the specifications the scope is advertized to have. Then count half way back to place the scope back to Mechanical Zero before mounting. If the scope has a large variation from factory specification, then you have a true indicator of a problem. 
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2012 at 14:55
I deleted your duplicate post in the Tactical Scopes section.  There is no need to post the same question multiple times in multiple threads.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic