OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX II vs Sightron Big Sky or others?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binoc5150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX II vs Sightron Big Sky or others?
    Posted: June/17/2012 at 15:02
am putting together an AR 15 M4 style carbine for coyote hunting...am looking at the VX II 3x9x40 with a wide duplex reticle.  Not please with the current trend of the standard duplex type reticles these days with how they get so close together with the "thick" part of the reticle before transitioning to the "fine" crosshairs.  Any suggestions?  Sightron still makes their standard reticles pretty wide, but Leupy doesnt as a standard duplex.
binoc5150 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binoc5150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2012 at 15:04
forgot to add that I will be shooting this rifle at coyotes, generally anywhere from 100-300 yards.  the difficulty I had last winter with the scope I had on my other AR was the closeness of the bold reticles as stated above....hard to pickout moving coyotes in tall corn stalks, etc. 
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2012 at 17:15
Had same issue and bought a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 for my AR.

The dual illumination makes the reticle stand out in brush, low light, etc and I use it for predator, hog, and deer hunting.

Eagle
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2012 at 17:36
Forgot to mention: TR 20G reticle

Eagle

tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2012 at 17:52
I was in the same boat a few months ago for my Colt AR. I can't see me shooting a coyote at 300 yards but I did settle on a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20mm with the illuminated duplex reticle. I didn't want a scope that looked sort of out of place so I went with this type. The reticle is awesome - whether it's illuminated or not. The little "plus sign" just floats out in the open between the heavier crosshairs like what you're looking for. Here's a link:

hunterbob View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2012 at 20:24
 Yup , I got a Kruger TacDriver like that 1.4 to 5x lights in all green or red.
I'm thinkin about a Leopold though. I never thought this riffle could shoot like it does so I'm underpower on a scope. I got the DPMS LR308, aand its wicked accurate
Luck is where preparation meets opportunity
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic