OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski--Is anything better???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swarovski--Is anything better???
    Posted: March/02/2006 at 22:17
First I do not own one of these scopes.  But my question is, with a 1" tube, is anything better than Swarovski 1" A-Line Riflescopes??? I haven't looked through any scope that appears sharper to my eyes than these scopes.  I have been a long time shooter of Leupold products and their VXIII 2.5-8x36 is still one of the best buys on the market.  I also have a couple of VARIX III 3.5-10x40's.  I recently put a Burris Signature 3-10x40 on top of my AR15.  It is good clear glass but I think a cut below the Leupold's in overall features.  I like the crisp clarity of the Zeiss Conquest but I just don't think they're rugged enough for hillbilly style hunting.  If there's anything better than the Swarovski let me in on it.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2006 at 01:34

With a 1" tube??

The Zeiss Diavari below has a 1" tube AND a etched reticle, unlike the Swaro A line scopes that still use wire reticles.

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/5216619920/zeiss_5-15x42 _davari_vm_v_rifle_scope.htm

Now with that said, I still like the Swaro, but I wouldn't call it more "rugged" than a Conquest. Lighter maybe.

I still think the Conquest is better buy, dollar for dollar than any other 1" tubed scope out there. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2006 at 06:55

Ok

for hillbilly style hunting you want a tough sob. Now were talking a 10x Super Sniper... Yea the glass will never compare to the Swaro or the Zeiss but if you want tough and good glass and value how about an IOR  tactical 6x42 (half the price twice the scope)

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Tez338 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tez338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2006 at 07:24
Great scopes,buy one .

Edited by Tez308
K.I.S.S
tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2006 at 15:43

The Zeiss VM/V 1" are probably better scopes than the A line Swaros.  I don't think many people will argue that point.  The Swaro A line is a great scope but, like all Euro optics now, it is just getting overpriced.  The conquest would be a better value.

What would make you question the durablity of the conquest?  If anything I would question the durabiltiy of the Swarovski.  I own Swaros and conquests and have never had trouble with either.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2006 at 16:31
I would also like to know what hillbilly style hunting involves, say over the durability of a scope and rifle used for say sheep hunting? I have never heard of anyone having durability problems with the Conquest. One feature that would benefit Hillbilly style hunting, what ever that is, is the Conquest has a etched reticle as cheaptrick already stated. When you are shopping in this price range, the differences are negligible even to the trained eye. Unless, hillybilly style hunting hunting involves rolling your pick-up truck over the side of a mountain and the scope takes a direct hit from a case of Old Milwaukee, I would feel safe with the Conquest. Further, of the scopes you mentioned, all  are a cut above the Leupold's. Just ask anyone here. I think 99% will agree with me. Good luck with your scope choice. One last thing, are you a deer hunter, long or short range primarly?
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2006 at 22:22

When it comes to 1" scopes, the Swaro American & the Zeiss inch line are top notch.  You need to check out Kahles CL line too.  To my eyes (and others that are optics junkies) the CL series is unbelievably bright & clear and come with an etched reticle.  I have two of them (one with 50mm bell, the other with a 52mm bell) and I couldn't be happier.  I probably hunt "hillbilly" style, being that my hunting is for whitetail, boar, and coyote in southwest Alabama.  I've taken shots this past fall & winter out of an Isuzu Trooper (NOT off a road mind you), while wading in 4 feet of water in a creek, and out of a canoe.  The scopes got wet, dirty, and banged around & I never once experienced a problem. 

arkhillbilly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2006 at 23:14
Hillbilly Hunting--(noun); A past time in Arkansas and other rural states that involves crawling and climbing through thick underbrush, while hunting up on anything legal (to this hillbilly) and in season.  Shots can range from 10 yds to 400 yds(pipeline right-of-way shots, you can shoot till its around the curve).

I appreciate all the responses.  But now I'm even more confused.  Does the Kahles plex look just like the plex with the Swarovski?  I really like that reticle, I know it looks good on the Zeiss Conquest too. 

Edited by arkhillbilly
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2006 at 10:10

If you want to check out the reticle options for the Kahles CL line, just click "rifle scopes" then scroll down to the Kahles insignia & click on it.  You'll then have the option of clicking "Kahles CL scopes with Multizero" or just "Kahles CL scopes".  Once you've made a selection, click on a scope of interest & the next page will give you the reticle options.  With all this being said, I do believe that you can get the Swarovski TDS reticle with the 50mm & 52mm CL scopes.  Call Brady @ SWFA & he'll let you know what's available.

You won't be disappointed with the CL.  One look through & you'll know what I'm talking about.  Don't worry about ruggedness & reliability either as they'll have no problem handling hillbilly hunting...

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2006 at 20:49
Save your money and get a 3-9x40 Conquest. I don't think you can get the Swarovski with the TDS reticle. maybe some to the older ones had it, but I am unsure of this fact. After what reading what hillbilly style hunting, I would probably invest in a set of scope lens covers and protection for your gun from dirt and debris.

Edited by Roy Finn
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2006 at 11:08

" climbing through thick underbrush"  "range from 10 yds to 400 yds"   (if it moves it's food) = hillbilly style hunting.

(Special Needs:  Low Light capeable)

6616 Nikon 1.5-6x42 Monarch Gold 30mm Riflescope Nikon 1.5-6x42 Monarch Gold 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 30mm
SWFA: $599.95

IOR4X24M2308N IOR 4x24 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope IOR 4x24 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Black
  • Nato
  • 30mm
  • M2 Target Knobs
SWFA: $369.95
More Info... Buy Now

IOR6X42T30 IOR 6x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope IOR 6x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
  • MP-8
  • 30mm
  • Free 2.5" Sun Shade w/ Purchase
SWFA: $449.95
More Info... Buy Now
I really wouldnt drop a grand in a brush gun scope. I still like the tough Super Sniper but 10x is rather a high magnification for stalking - great if you set up on them at a crossing.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic