OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

RangeFinder Scopes Suggestions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoexpert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RangeFinder Scopes Suggestions?
    Posted: June/08/2012 at 19:02
Hey everyone! What is the best rifle scope rangefinder that has the following:
-Built-in range finder
-MilDot or arrow calculates where it will hit
-Good zoom (like 6.5x24)

Other features that would be cool but not required: 
-takes a AA or AAA
-Wind/Elevation
-Weather Resistance
-Not Teflon coated

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!!

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2012 at 19:24
UUUUHHH   Sounds Like ?????

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2012 at 19:25
Here Let Me Guess:
Burris 4-16x50 Eliminator III Rangefinding Riflescope Burris 4-16x50 Eliminator III Rangefinding Riflescope
Stock # - BUR200116
  • Black Matte Finish
  • X96 Ballistic Reticle
  • Enhanced extreme range ballistic programming
$1,499.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2012 at 21:50
Well the Eliminator Three is right there taking care of your list of wants, but if you go for the non-teflon version, your eggs are going to stick!

Clown
-Matt
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2012 at 22:39
The Eliminator is the only one I have had any use with.  It worked as advertised. Pretty nice scope, although the glass is a bit dark to me.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2012 at 00:20
Can't wait to get my hands on the Gen 3!Excellent
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
videoexpert View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote videoexpert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2012 at 13:45
Thanks! That eliminator looks like a good one, however do they have a version that has at least 24x because that one is only 16x zoom?
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2012 at 13:54
No.
Truth be known, one can be pretty precise with a 14-16 power scope.
You will have to go a different route if that much magnification is a requirement for you
Originally posted by videoexpert videoexpert wrote:

Thanks! That eliminator looks like a good one, however do they have a version that has at least 24x because that one is only 16x zoom?
Ernie

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2012 at 20:49
Is that --- Do Have ...  or is it more like :  WILL Have.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2012 at 20:54
There are a few companies who make scopes with LRFs built in, but Burris focuses on them the most.

Laserscope III is your best bet.  

I have been playing with the Laserscope II and I found that I like it far more than I originally expected.  I have only seen the new model at SHOT, but I was impressed with where they are taking this product.

ILya
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2012 at 21:33
Big Grin
Do have one of Eliminators.
Will have one of the Gen 3's soonBandito

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Is that --- Do Have ...  or is it more like :  WILL Have.
Ernie

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2012 at 23:22
I finally got an opportunity to play with a Gen 2 Eliminator a while back.  I have the Nikon Laser IRT.  The Nikon is Monarch quality glasswise and has a very nice laser ranger.  Quite accurate.  However, it does not have the ONE primary feature that makes the "tech" exceptional... the "auto aimpoint" feature the Burris Eliminator lives on.  That one feature makes the Eliminator a hands down winner and if it had been available when I was checking the Laser IRT scopes, I would MOST DEFINITELY have the Eliminator.  The glass has improved, as well is is now at least the equal of the Nikon.  A day will come when any laser ranging scope includes the auto aimpoint function and technology is moving rapidly.   
Soon, auto aimpoint calculation based upon range will be commonplace.  RIght now, Burris pretty much owns it (within a price range that is reachable by mere mortals). 

I've not seen the Gen III, but am anxious to do so.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2012 at 23:32
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I finally got an opportunity to play with a Gen 2 Eliminator a while back.  I have the Nikon Laser IRT.  The Nikon is Monarch quality glasswise and has a very nice laser ranger.  Quite accurate.  However, it does not have the ONE primary feature that makes the "tech" exceptional... the "auto aimpoint" feature the Burris Eliminator lives on.  That one feature makes the Eliminator a hands down winner and if it had been available when I was checking the Laser IRT scopes, I would MOST DEFINITELY have the Eliminator.  The glass has improved, as well is is now at least the equal of the Nikon.  A day will come when any laser ranging scope includes the auto aimpoint function and technology is moving rapidly.   
Soon, auto aimpoint calculation based upon range will be commonplace.  RIght now, Burris pretty much owns it (within a price range that is reachable by mere mortals). 

I've not seen the Gen III, but am anxious to do so.  

Gen 3 takes it to the next level with drop compensation at any magnification.

ILya
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 00:25
So the "dot" works in the FFP?
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 08:37
It is not a true FFP but it works like a FFP. 
The technology compensates as if it was a FFP.
So yes, your subtension remain the same at any magnification
Ernie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 08:57
But the etched reticle for wind holds are in the SFP? Seems kind of silly. Is the reticle based on MOA? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 09:00
On second look it appears to be based on a mil-dot, any confirmation on this?
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 09:12
It is Mils
Ernie

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 09:52
There is a mathmatical formula which allows BDC calculation at any power setting for SFP scopes.  I've used it for years.  It's what Nikon Spot On uses and there are several iPhone and Droid apps that do it as well.  They make it much easier.  It is, of course, wholly dependent upon the scopes accuracy a various power levels.  If the scope is "good", the calculation is "good"... it, by its nature, assumes perfection in the scope.  Works very well with the Hensoldt that my wife bought for me... (don't know if I've mentioned that or not) 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 15:25
Really Excellent  Your wife bought you a Heinsoldt --   AWESOME - Dont think you have mentioned that before. Cool

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic