OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Simmons Scope - Zoom Not Working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitalsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simmons Scope - Zoom Not Working
    Posted: June/07/2012 at 20:05
I purchased a Savage Model 110 270 cal. from Walmart.com about four years ago.  It came with a Simmons Blazer 3-9x40 scope that I knew was a cheap scope but was more interested in the rifle.  I decided I would get it bore-sighted and see how it would do.  It has been a wonderfully accurate rifle and I decided to stick with the Simmons for the time being.  As I was new to the world of scopes I never attempted to really change anything except the eye relief but last season a buddy of mine wanted to look the rifle over and when he went to play with the zoom.  It had a set-screw in it and we loosened it up and tried to zoom in and it would not zoom although the ring moved.  Now, I am thinking that possibly this was a truly cheap version of the scope that simply didn't have the zoom feature or else it truly is broken.  Anybody have any ideas?

I hunt because I am.
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2012 at 20:09
It had a set screw? Probably nothing wrong with the scope...
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2012 at 20:15
Let me guess it's in the same location as the screw in this picture (Arrow pointing at it)

digitalsaw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitalsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2012 at 06:34
Yes.  It is located directly on the zoom adjustment ring.  The picture below is of the same scope.  Note the set screw on the right side of the adjustment ring.  The ring won't turn unless this screw is loosened.  When I loosen it and turn the ring (which by the way turns very hard) the view through the scope is the same. 
Free shipping 100% New! Wholesale 1pc SIMMONS BLAZER 3-9X40 SHARP SHOOTER/RIFLE SCOPE
I hunt because I am.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2012 at 07:15
IMO, junk the POS and get a better scope. There are tons of great scopes available in all price points. What would your likes / dislikes be? 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitalsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2012 at 08:16
I'm looking seriously at a Leupold VX-1.  Lifetime guarantee (Gold Ring VX line) and the price point is around $200. 

I hunt because I am.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitalsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2012 at 08:26
Apparently that picture didn't come in but you can find it at the following URL.

Can't post links to other optics vendors, my friend. Check out the ROE, please Sir. 

Edited by cheaptrick - June/08/2012 at 08:48
I hunt because I am.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2012 at 10:17
Originally posted by digitalsaw digitalsaw wrote:

I'm looking seriously at a Leupold VX-1.  Lifetime guarantee (Gold Ring VX line) and the price point is around $200.

That dog will hunt! I'd also suggest you check out the Sample List here for some great choices with great deals. Good luck.

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitalsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2012 at 10:59
Sorry about that.  I just could not get the picture to paste in so I included a link.  Didn't even realize it was from a vendor until you mentioned that.  My apologies.
I hunt because I am.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2012 at 11:21
No worries. Thanks for your help. 

Welcome to Optics Talk. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2012 at 14:29
Well the 'zoom' adjustment might be frozen up (broken)  But that screw has no purpose being loosened.  Its not there to 'hold' the zoom at a fixed magnification.  So if you get a new scope, don't loosen that screw!  You can torque that screw back down and you might get your zoom feature back on the current scope.  (it could just be real stiff, some scopes are).  Tell your buddy not to mess with stuff he's not familiar with too.Big Grin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic