OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New SS Mil Mil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2012 at 07:57
ok,ok im ordering the 12X today! i think im gonna like this mil/mil setup.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2012 at 19:53
Alright, the sun is down on the East coast...The shooting hours are over. Where is our range report?
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2012 at 19:22
No Pics
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2012 at 05:28
Haha....I'll have some pics upand some sort of a review by the weekend.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2012 at 07:24
Baseball BatFor your sake I hope soBig Grin  lol  J/K
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2012 at 07:36
No you weren't.... Hippie
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

7wsm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2012 at 11:13
brown truck just dropped off my 12x. ill be mounting it on my 6br this evening for a test run! ill be shooting out to 925y.
so far i would say the optics are a little more clear than my old 16x SS.

and i might take pics and post them idk.... dont hold me to that.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2012 at 19:20
Too late, shouldn't of said anything...

Gotta have pictures!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

7wsm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2012 at 22:29

uhh, my pic sux. an iphone is all i had, seems like it focused around the scope.
deer at 950yards w/ the 12x

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2012 at 22:42
Is your steel 36" tall?
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 05:56
ya done good for an iphone camera!  It's not easy to focus thru a scope...AF plays tricks on ya!
I can easily make out that deer graising.

Is it me or are you canted to the right a good bit?  Or is it a floptical dilution? Hippie
--Thomas Jefferson

7wsm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 06:21
Steel is 22" tall, just a little bigger than a deer...

Scope "looks" canted terribly but it's dead on. The gun was on a bipod and I could've been holding the iphone cockeyed idk??
So what's the trick to taking pics through a scope. I tried a regular camera but it was worse.

I love the reticle, it was fun hitting all my long range targets without dialing the knobs much.
The mildot diamonds in the reticle are perfect for holdover target shooting. You can see your target through them easily. The half mil marks are a plus too.
The glass isn't the best, I was comparing it to my vortex viper and it's not quite as clear as it. It's just a notch below it for clarity.
Turret clicks are good, they seem a little better than my 16x I had several years ago.

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 06:47
Auto focus is your enemy on most cameras when trying to take pictures thru a scope.  This is because of how and where the autofocus detector is on the camera.  Manually focus the camera and that still takes practice.
--Thomas Jefferson

EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 08:37
I understand this is fixed. However, does the reticle size match what it would if it was a variable FFP scope.

Never owned a FFP scope and my understanding was that the reticle size increases with magnification and worried about the reticle covering up the target.

Eagle
lumberjack149 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumberjack149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 11:23
Originally posted by EAGLE EAGLE wrote:

worried about the reticle covering up the target. Eagle

Not sure what you consider thick but the reticle thickness are as follows at 100yds - On the 10x model its .18" (same thickness as the 5-20 FFP model), 12x model is .14", the 16x is .13", the 20x is .11".
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 11:49
I already want a 16 X now your making it hurt. Christmas List

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
7wsm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 14:15
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I already want a 16 X now your making it hurt. Christmas List

i doubt you would regret buying one, i dont think you can beat em for the price and the new reticle! do it! do it! do it! get it! get it! lol

i almost wanna get the 16x as well now..... i would have to sell my vortex viper to get it though. just wish the vortex had this reticle..
better yet, i wish my sightron iii had this reticle! 
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 15:02
Originally posted by lumberjack149 lumberjack149 wrote:

Originally posted by EAGLE EAGLE wrote:

worried about the reticle covering up the target. Eagle

Not sure what you consider thick but the reticle thickness are as follows at 100yds - On the 10x model its .18" (same thickness as the 5-20 FFP model), 12x model is .14", the 16x is .13", the 20x is .11".

You answered my questions.

Thanks,

Eagle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 19:52
Originally posted by 7wsm 7wsm wrote:

Scope "looks" canted terribly but it's dead on. The gun was on a bipod and I could've been holding the iphone cockeyed idk??
So what's the trick to taking pics through a scope. I tried a regular camera but it was worse.

I love the reticle, it was fun hitting all my long range targets without dialing the knobs much.
The mildot diamonds in the reticle are perfect for holdover target shooting. You can see your target through them easily. The half mil marks are a plus too.
The glass isn't the best, I was comparing it to my vortex viper and it's not quite as clear as it. It's just a notch below it for clarity.
Turret clicks are good, they seem a little better than my 16x I had several years ago.

Wow my eyes were screwed last night. I was reading the hash as a full mil mark. Anyway assuming it is at 900 yards, and a 22" steel, it mils at about .68... And i was reading like 1.1 last night... 
7wsm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2012 at 07:27
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

Originally posted by 7wsm 7wsm wrote:

Wow my eyes were screwed last night. I was reading the hash as a full mil mark. Anyway assuming it is at 900 yards, and a 22" steel, it mils at about .68... And i was reading like 1.1 last night... 

i will measure that target again and do another pic on it next time im out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic