OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I thought some if you might find this interesting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I thought some if you might find this interesting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I thought some if you might find this interesting
    Posted: June/07/2012 at 07:47
An excerpt from “Modern Gunsmithing” by Clyde Baker written in 1933

“Slowly but surely the male citizenry is becoming emasculated to the point of utter helplessness. Sliding along, content in their weakness, glorying in their inability to do things. Proud of the fact that they've never been taught to use their hands.-and blind also to the fact that they know mighty little about using their heads.
Work-honest, decent labor, skill of fingers, accuracy of eye-somehow it seems beneath the present generation.”

When I read this I almost chocked on my coffee.
I guess the problem has been around a while.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2012 at 08:47
Now they can't even work their fingers without the use of batteries,how sad is that?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2012 at 09:34
My kids are sure as heck going to learn how to work.  My dad made me get a job when I was 12 years old.  I ran my own lawn mowing business for 10 years, I worked on a cattle ranch/farm for 7 summers when I was a kid.  I logged for a year as well.  Best things I ever could have did as a kid. 

I see all the kids now days, that never even have a job before they go off on their own to college.  It disgusts me how lax the parents are.  They get done with college and cant find a job because 50 million other kids did the same thing, then they have no skill set to fall back on.  Its really sad to see.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2012 at 10:05
I grew up on a farm. I had my own little herd of Holsteins when I was thirteen years old. There was more work to be done than I could take care of.  It was a way of life. 
A couple of years ago I was talking to a nineteen year old kid.  I told him that I had grown up on a farm.  I told him that we had all kinds of jobs that needed to be done. And he said to me:

" Did your parents make you work? "   

Whatever

Visit the Ed Show
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2012 at 10:51
WORK...at my house growing up was NOT an option. I thank GOD in heaven my folks made it that way for us kids. 

Hell, kids now a days bitch about having to cut the dog gone grass around the home, for Pete's sake. Mowing the lawn, (with a push mower) for me was a break from the REAL work Dad and me did. Building barbed wire fence, field work, bailing hay and anything else Dad had going. 
There was no "allowance" paid to us kids either. Room and board was our allowance, but Mom bought all our clothes and I got new football cleats every year for football, IF....my grades good enough. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2012 at 10:56
I may not be as old as some of yall, or half that for some or in eds case a tenth but I grew up very similar to what yall did.  I stayed with my grandparents on a working farm during the summer and worked from the time I was "knee high to a grasshopper" on.  I was 11 when i took my first job in a business.  I had to be at work at 6am and lefted daily at noon.  Then it was off to the farm to work til dark. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
dillon_h View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff
Woody

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2012 at 11:59
There is still a little of that these days.

I am sure I am the youngest person here at 20 but from the time I was able, I was working with my dad.
Whether it was mowing, bailing hay for our neighbors or building fence I did it for the roof over my head.

I moved to Texas with my mom at 15 and went to work on a small family ranch who also happen to run a small welding business. Learned to do it all before going to school. Now I know if I needed to fall back on something I could be a lowsy rancher or a decent weldor.

I know people my age who have never worked a day in there lives and drive the nicest trucks and have the nicest things possible because of there parents. Even at 20 years old with no children of my own, this makes me sick. I feel sorry for these guys who will not know which way to run when the parents finally cant afford to fuel there childs wants anymore.
Dillon@SWFA.com
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2012 at 12:32
I had to walk 5 miles uphill both to and from school.

In all seriousness I grew up on a farm, and worked my little butt off every day.  Didn't matter if it was a blizzard outside or 100 degrees, there was always something to do.  Even if you were sick you had to work.  Summer time things got really busy, and you worked from sunrise to sunset.  As a kid I can't say I enjoyed it.  Now what I wouldn't give to go back and get one more day with my old man fencing or haying.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2012 at 13:05
Originally posted by Thundey Thundey wrote:

Now what I wouldn't give to go back and get one more day with my old man fencing or haying.

You never worked with MY Dad.....I love him to this day, but I hate working for him. 
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2012 at 14:38
WOW. You sure that was not written this week? Spot on. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2012 at 17:47
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

WORK...at my house growing up was NOT an option. I thank GOD in heaven my folks made it that way for us kids. 

Hell, kids now a days bitch about having to cut the dog gone grass around the home, for Pete's sake. Mowing the lawn, (with a push mower) for me was a break from the REAL work Dad and me did. Building barbed wire fence, field work, bailing hay and anything else Dad had going. 
There was no "allowance" paid to us kids either. Room and board was our allowance, but Mom bought all our clothes and I got new football cleats every year for football, IF....my grades good enough. 

You bet.  Mowing the lawn was just making sure the house looked great for the people driving past the farm.  I wanted it to look like it was a State Park!  I was proud of the place!

Then I went 100 yards down the road and mowed the neighbor's yard ( they were elderly ) and my dad said: ' Don't ever take any money from those folks...'     I mowed their yard once a week for years for a glass of milk...( and I didn't even care for milk!  Shocked  ).   They had about a 1/2 acre that needed mowing.  I used our gas. 

Then there was mountains of manure.....we had no tractor or spreader.....Big Grin    

We had an old beater of a pick up truck that you had to roll to start ( I couldn't shut it off unless I was on a hill....so I carried a rock with me...), we had a pitchfork, and we had .....uhh.........a kid.  Big Grin     ( moi )     Bucky

I had to move that sh*t three times to actually get it from the barn out into the fields!!!    Crutch

Ha!    But we could shoot, hunt, fish, climb trees, swim, etc...read books.....drive around at 13 years old......Bucky 

I had a fence tool hanging out of my pocket. 

I loved it.   

Visit the Ed Show

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2012 at 18:11

??????
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 09:30
What a bunch of slacker's. Starting at day light and ending at dark. My dad was never around so my grand dad would have me up ay 4am feeding animals until 7am then off to do electrical work (at his company) till 4 then to the hay fields until dark or you just couldn't lift your arms any more. we would do 6000+ square bails and 250 or so round bails 3 times a summer and sometime 4. it was sold before it ever came out of the fields. After the hay it was back to the animals until 10 or later. then up and at it again. only day of "rest" was Sunday and that is when we worked on stuff.

Guess i know where i get my sleep habits from.

I LOVED those days. I was about the strongest 10 yr old you would ever meet. One of my best memories of working at 10 was the trash talking. pawpaw had a guy working for him he was in his mid 20's. I didn't care for at all. He would talk crap all the time to me. I guess he had pick on the little one syndrome. I had enough and told my pawpaw about it. My pawpaw told me dead in my eyes. whoop his ass. Hell I was 10 and never fought before but scraped some just playing around. I told my uncle about what pawpaw said to do. he laughed and told me to hit him with a bail of hay about the end of the day when he was tired. Well, the very next day I was "stacking" I was on the 6th row of 7 and I had enough of him. I bounced a bail off him and about the time he realized what hit him I jumped off the trailer on him and started to hit him( as hard as I could) well I got my ass handed to me in a nice little gift wrapped basket. pawpaw and uncle got him off me and made us both go back to work. I got scraped up pretty well but he never talked to me again and watch every move I made when I was stacking.

Another memories was when my uncle would pull me aside during a "take 5" and let me chug a beer or two.

I miss those day. true hard work. My kids now throw hay with us and work the fields picking up tons and tons of rocks. I hope they will get the same work ethic and responsibility engraved in them I have.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2012 at 11:20
My little brother and I roamed far and wide to collect "deposit" bottles and kept ourselves in BBs and the like and then at 12, had a paper route- up at 3am to meet the bus and get the newspapers and head out.
Saved enough to buy the first lawn mower at 13 and soon saved enough to get the second and my little brother came on board and he was very good at all things mowing and we were the kids that always had money, after that. Some of our customers were within a mile or so, but most were in the town 4 miles away, so we rigged methods to drag our mowers and gas cans, etc behind our bikes.
Did a considerable amount of hay hauling, etc for some local ranchers and then went on wheat harvest at 16 and stayed up in North Dakota past time for my Sr. year to start and then bought my first car from all the money I'd saved up 'til then. Got in a row with the local smartass who was jealous of my car and cocked off about "Daddy" buying me a new car... pointed out that he'd never turned a tap while I'd been working and saving for years... he never amounted to anything, last I heard. The night of HS graduation, I already had a job lined out in a distant town and left town before the sun came up... been out there ever since.

Whatever I did was nothing compared to the rancher kids around- those guys really worked their tails off as I discovered when I got old enough to start working on ranches, because working with them, I'd end up out of gas long before they did and all my muscles were always sore.

Did have a job as a pilot for a horse ranch for a while... whatever I'd find in a stall, I'd "pilot" outside and then spread it around the pastures, later.

Edited by Alan Robertson - July/01/2012 at 11:27
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2012 at 17:11
[QUOTE

I bounced a bail off him and about the time he realized what hit him I jumped off the trailer on him and started to hit him( as hard as I could) well I got my ass handed to me in a nice little gift wrapped basket. pawpaw and uncle got him off me and made us both go back to work. I got scraped up pretty well but he never talked to me again and watch every move I made when I was stacking.

[/QUOTE]

Ahh.. our first stand for ourselves. Hadn't thought of that for yrs. I was 8 or 9 and throwing a softball with my older cousin. We had had a few wrestling matches before then so you never knew when one would jump the other. I think he was about 13 and a good foot taller so I respected him pretty good. I threw him the ball and said I gotta go to the bathroom! I broke for the house and before I knew it he had me pinned. He clearly didn't appreciate my condition. Pleadin didn't help and sure enough I'm walkin hangdawg to the house wet from the knees up. If that won't bad enough he about peed his self laughin. And ofcourse being Sunday my Dad was home and he being my hero telling him what happened was tough. He was kind but he did ask me what I was going to do about it. I shrugged my shoulders and waited for his response. This was classic, While lookin my mom square in the eye he said  "I'd woop his a**". There is no describing the mix I felt, supprised, alittle scared but mostly P'Oed. I don't think my Dad expected what would happen. I went in and changed and back outside and I honestly don't recall all that transpired execpt that I wasn't breathing heavy or anything but my cousin was runnin home crying holdin his left eye. Needless to say we didn't throw the ball anymore after that in fact he wouldn't have much to do with me. But seeing my Dads grin the next day when my mom lit into him for"what his son had done" let me know that my hero had my back. I later learned that I had a natural skill for woopin those who needed it and my cousin got the first dose of it.

Thanks BD, the memorey of my Dad's pride in his son is priceless and I appreciate it.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2012 at 17:19
Alan, I too had a paper route. I walked every paper that I delivered and placed the paper inside the screen door, or mail box, or wherever the customer wanted it. 

When I go back home, the neighborhood folks I see still say I was the best darn paper boy they ever had. Big Smile 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2013 at 07:17

Good stories, guys. 

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
opticsmike View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opticsmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2013 at 00:19
yep.. and we're to the point we elect a president who never worked a day in his life. very amusing.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2013 at 05:54
Originally posted by opticsmike opticsmike wrote:

yep.. and we're to the point we elect a president who never worked a day in his life. very amusing.

Yup, and a bunch of people that voted him in haven't either!

Whacko  Whacko Whacko
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2013 at 05:55

" What a bunch of ignorant, redneck Haters!!  You think growing up that way was a Good Thing?!!  Now, look at you!!  A bunch of uneducated jackasses who think Ronald Reagan and America and Being Right-Wing is a good and noble thing!! You're all Nazis!! " 

Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic