OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell Elite 4200 / Leo EFR Face Off

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell Elite 4200 / Leo EFR Face Off
    Posted: March/02/2006 at 11:14

I've gotten down to looking at these two ....

I'd like some opinions/input on this face-off

Bushnell Leupold Face Off

Bushnell Elite 4200

Leupold VX-III E.F.R

Finish

Matte

Matte

Magnification

6x - 24x

6.5x - 20x

Objective Size

40mm

40mm

Focus Range

10 yards - infinity

10 yards - infinity

macky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 11:21

I just got the Customer Service Phone number .... 1-800-423-3537.

I'll post what I find out ....

macky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 11:34

Here's the scoop ...

Warranty first ..... first year if you say you have "any problems" with the scope they will replace it "no questions" asked.  after that it is a limited lifetime warranty.  I asked them what that means ... they will cover all costs to repair or replace a scope that has a manufacturing defect .... if you drop it, it's on you.  If a lens fogs and it hasn't apparently been dropped, it is covered.

Semi-Target Turrets .... means they are lower than most traget turrets, and they have dust covers.  Under the dust covers the knobs are finger adjustable, they click precisely, they are clearly marked, and they have "return to zero" markings.

So that's what I have .... I'd sure like sure opinions from people that have hands on experience with these scopes.  The Bushnell Elite 4200 looks like it's a pretty decent way to go ... to me anyway.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 12:13

When I was looking at high magnification scopes I got a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 with MilDot for my 22-250.   I think it has better glass than the Leupold and costs less.  Both have pretty repeatable W/E adjustments, but Leupold has a much larger adjustment range.

Both are good scopes. 

ILya

macky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 12:25

ILya,

I know you've always been a Bushnell Elite 4200 Fan .... I've looked and looked, and asked questions, and asked more questions (no comments guys) and the Bushnell sure looks good to me.

Isn't the 26" inch adjustment range at 100 yards plenty for a .223 or .22-250.  Isn't that 13" drop at 100 yards , 26" at 200 yards, 39" at 300 yards, 52" at 400 yards, 65" at 500 yards ..... etc ....  (.223 drop at 500 is 48.7 .... and the .22-50 drop at 500 is 40.7)  So I'm good to 500 yards no? ..... That's if I have that right anyway.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 12:28

For me, this is plenty of adjustment.  Others may want more.  It is really a personal choice.

I have mine set-up in Burris Signature Zee rings with offset inserts, so I can use most of my adjustment range for elevation.

ILya

macky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 12:46

I tell ya ILya this is a real hard one for me ... the Leupold "marketing scheme" has me saying "LEUPOLD" even though I haven't seen or heard anything to tell me that the EFR is more of what I want (NO MilDot) OR a better price.

I have to fight "The Evil Empire" and not go to "The Dark Side" of Leo ..... you're supposed to smile here "Urimaginaryfrnd"

Edited by macky
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 13:56
You may spend a little too much when you buy a Leupold, but you can't really go wrong.  I looked at both scopes and decided on the Leupold for several reasons: 1. I have used Leupolds for 40 years and never had a problem. 2. Leupold is 2.5" shorter.  3. I don't like those green numbers on the Bushnell
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 13:58

Leupold is a good scope and I do not think you'd be disappointed with it. 

As far as Leupold marketing goes, well I suppose that's what the price premium is going toward: paying for the marketing.

As for the dark side, I do believe I was recently annointed as a "Dark Lord of Optics" by cheaptrick.  If that is the case, I can emphatically inform you that here on the dark side Leupolds are not well represented at all since I sold of the Leupys I had except for a 2.5x28 scout scope.  My safe is populated with decidedly non-Leupy products.  Generally, my preferred brands are SIghtron, Burris and IOR although there are quite a few others. A few scopes that I have not yet sold/traded/etc that I can think of are Elite 4200 6-24x40MD, Sightron S2 3-9x42MD, 4-16x42 MD and 6x42HBR as well as S1 3-9x40MD, a couple of Nimrod 6x40 scopes, Pentax Lighseeker 2-8x32, Leupold 2.5x28 scout, Burris 4x20 compact, and Fullfield II 6.5-20x50, IOR 4x24M1 CQB, Weaver K2.5.  There are a few others here and there, but I think I gave you a pretty good cross section of what I have.  On my list of scopes to get in reasonably near future are Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35 with BPlex and Bushnell Holosight XLP when they hit the shelves.  Depending on what will end up being my next project after that, I may get a Burris Euro Diamond 1-4x22. 

ILya

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 14:09

leo,leo,leo

Charlie70 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 16:37
I have a Leupold 6.5 - 20 vari-xIII and it has been a great scope. I have had it many years and it has rested on 3 or 4 different rifles and held zero on all of them. I now have it on a Browning  A-Bolt Stainless synthetic .223 w/ BOSS. That combinaton will lay one shot on top of another.
fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 19:22

I've had a quite a few of the Leupold EFR 6.5-20x40mm over the years. They were intended for the Air Rifle Shooters. I bought them because up until just this year, Premier Reticles would do a power change to 1.5 times or 2 times the original power range. The conversion limited the lowest power setting somewhat though. I had a 14.5 to 35 power scope from the 1.5 times conversion and a 18 to 40 power scope from the 2 times conversion. We had a local 22 rimfire match we all shot at once a month, indoors at only 20 yards. Our target was a dot .180 Dia. so a custom scope was handy plus Premier would install custom reticles which I chose the fine cross hair. I say all of this to let you know why I chose the Leupold EFR scope over all other choices. I don't see where it is needed for center fire rifles. The Leupold EFR does have about two complete revolutions of adjustment on the objective ring,  where as I don't know of any other that has that much adjustment.

I do have one of the 4200 4-16x40mm now on one of my 22LR and like it a lot. I don't use this for the above noted matches, just for playing around the yard and small game hunting.

Can you see me now...
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 21:24

The Bushnell " No questions asked for one year applies to the original purchaser and it is honnered for the full first year for REPLACEMENT or FULL REFUND with receipt. The rest of the warranty is the same as the Leupold. No warranty card necessary and not limited to the original owner.

To mwyates, I hope and pray that you will be able to report on the Elite scopes in the next 40 years.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic