OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

2-10 or 2.5-10: the low end

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote louielouie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2-10 or 2.5-10: the low end
    Posted: June/02/2012 at 16:42
  1. Since all my deer have been taken within 100 yds
  2. I can still backpack into mountainous hunting areas
  3. A fixed 4x scope can be too much sometimes in the trees
  4. I always have my scope at minimum magnification to start with anyway
I'm looking at either a 2-10 (Minox) or 2.5-10 (Nikon or Bushnell). Right now I have a 260 Rem ( with a silly 6.5-20x50AO) but will soon be the proud owner of a Savage 111 in 9.3x62 with a 20" barrel so I'm thinking "less magnification would be better".

Is "2" vs "2.5" the right number to consider or Field Of View: 40.3ft for the 2.5-10's and 47.5 ft for the 2-10?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LouieLouie
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2012 at 17:39

First off,WELCOME to OT !

A 20" bbl'd 9.3x62 Savage,huh?  You should LIKE it.  I've got a 20" bbl'd 9.3x62 M98 and it's became my favorite real quick.

Anyway,I'm wondering why you'd want 10X at your top end?  I've got a 2-7x32 Vortex Viper on my Mauser and have a 2.5x20 M8 Leupold Compact for a back-up,not that I'm planning on needing it.  I can't see me needing any more than 7 or 8X at the most and to be honest I could easily get by with the 2.5 Compact out to about 250yds or so(had to use it last season on a M70 Fwt .270).  Either 2 to 2.5 on the low end is good.  I've also used a 1.5-6x42 and a 1.75-6x32 with good results.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2012 at 18:06

Welcome to the OT!

Minox makes a very good Z5 1.5-8x32.Just put one on my grandsons Ruger Scout & he loves it. I know the 32 might be a little short on low light but if you are hunting from a tree stand or a blind this might just be your ticket.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2012 at 18:13
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
louielouie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote louielouie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2012 at 22:19
Thanx for the comments. The Savage is one of those Euro orange camo things that are so odd I couldn't resist - I put it on lay-away at Cabelas thinking I'd come to my senses but that ship sailed a long time ago... Whacko

My intent was to have one good 'hunting' scope that would work on the 9.3 or the 260 and as much as I'm curious about the lower power-range scope I don't want to give up the big objective lens when it  gets so dark under the trees - the sun doesn't shine much in Washington state (the wet side anyway) and my eyes need the light.

So I'm wondering if the 2 or 2.5 will be adequate when it gets close - I was lucky that this one http://home.comcast.net/~louielouie/DSCF2449.jpg had stepped out of close cover far enough away so that I could focus on him with the scope at 6.5X (at a brisk walk at that).

I've read the reviews of the Minox 1.5-8x32 and Ilya's comments but I can't help my hesitation of it not being bright enough.
LouieLouie
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2012 at 10:51
Here is another possibility depending upon your budget: Zeiss Conquest Duralyt 2-8 X 42. I just picked one up to try. It's very nice with good glass, good FOV, a great reticle and not exceedingly heavy for a 30 mm tube. Excellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
louielouie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote louielouie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2012 at 10:26
I'm afraid my budget can't include the Duralyt but I think the http://www.samplelist.com/Nikon-25-10x50-Monarch-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P54762.aspx seems like a less expensive way to go even if it is a little heavier than the Minox.

Another thing about this range of scopes is being a little simpler w/o the parallax adjustment but I'm hoping scope hieght won't be too much of an issue.
LouieLouie
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2012 at 07:18
Large objective scopes on short barreled rifles can be kind of cumbersome.  Might take a look at the Leupy 2.5-8x36.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic