OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > The Ed Show
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The Gila Forest Fire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Gila Forest Fire
    Posted: June/01/2012 at 15:48
As you know the Gila National Forest is on fire.  May be biggest fire in New Mexico history.

The Gila Woodpecker
Visit the Ed Show
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2012 at 21:34
My brother is on that fire right now.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2012 at 12:06

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2012/06/05/Wildfire-smoke-forces-landmark-closure/UPI-99521338908366/

My girls and I were here in 2004 and took a bunch of pictures.   

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 17:57

The Gila Forest Fire is 32% contained.........270,000 some acres burned....

Visit the Ed Show
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 18:28

Morchella's anyone?  (AKA the morel mushroom) 
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2012 at 08:21
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2012 at 08:48

Remember, Smokey the Bear was from New Mexico.  

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2012 at 08:55

Smokey the Bear's grave in Capitan, New Mexico near the Lincoln National Forest where he was found in a 1950 fire.

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 16:35
Visit the Ed Show
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 18:45
God bless our Fire Fighters.Prayer's out to them.Hope they all make it home safe. 
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 08:15
+1.  We also need to pray for all those folks that make their living from the forest.  Dad and I went elk hunting there back in 2005, and everyone we met was dependent on the logging business out there, including our outfitter, all of his brothers, and his dad.  So sad.  That's some beautiful country, with the largest elk I've ever seen.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 09:47
If the fire is moving fast enough, they should still be able to log it.  About 12 years ago I worked for a logging crew, we logged a bunch of burnt timber like that.  The fire moved fast enough all it did was burn off the bark and the needles.  It was dirty, but it sure made limbing easier. 

There is one in Utah now that is over 40,000 acres, they say it has burned 50 or so structures.  Really sad for people, they evacuated a couple whole towns.  Scary stuff. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 11:44
Amazing what fires can do.  I still contend based on what fire fighting I have done, and what those that do it for a living year after year tell me, that if they would allow thinning and select harvesting, the fire would not be as bad.

As for those that worry about hunting this year after the fires, burns are great hunting areas for elk and deer.  Those animals love the new green shoots that come up after a fire.  I guided for several years (and may be back this year) in an area that had about 20,000 burned acres in it.  We shot a lot of elk in there.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 12:04
God knows what He's doing.

Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic