OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Minox 15x56 vs. Vortex Kaibabs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minox 15x56 vs. Vortex Kaibabs
    Posted: May/30/2012 at 12:04
Good morning.  Ive been reading alot about the vortex binos and currently own minox.  I dont have any way to compare the two and was hoping for some advice from you guys.,  Should I sell the minox and get the kaibabs???????????  Big decision!!!  Thaks, Jake
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2012 at 16:45
I'd order the Kiabab from a dealer with a good return for refund policy, compare the two and then sell the Minox if you like the Kiabab better.  How those two compare is a question I'l like some insight on too.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

ROUNDSHOES View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROUNDSHOES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2012 at 14:51
Has anyone compared the 15 X Conquests with the 15 X Kaibabs?
troutslayer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2012 at 15:19
I have the Kaibabs.  Very clear and nice glass.  I don't have any others to compare them to though.  Ordered mine through competitor.  they would return them if you didn't like them.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2012 at 18:43
Welcome to the OT,Roundshoes & troutslayer !
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
muleycrazy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2012 at 11:24
A buddy of mine had the minox and I have the vortex. To my eyes the kaibabs were slightly clearer and brighter to my eye, but thats just me. I would highly recommend looking at the vortex.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2012 at 11:57
Originally posted by ROUNDSHOES ROUNDSHOES wrote:

Has anyone compared the 15 X Conquests with the 15 X Kaibabs?
I've looked at a set of the Conquest.  I was not too impressed.  You really need the extra objective size in 15x.  45mm I don't think cuts the mustard at that magnification.  The  15x Vortex Viper with a 50mm objective is noticeably NOT as good as the Kiabab.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2012 at 12:22
Another thumbs down on the Conquest and Viper 15x models. The Kaibab is excellent. I am curious about the newest Minox 15x. It seems like a good value and very light for a 15x.
-Matt
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2012 at 16:34
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2012 at 16:50
Quick Review during daylight. They are almost the exact same size. Both have good a picture but I think the Vortex has a little better image and it does have better edge to edge clarity. The minox left me wanting a little more at the edges. The Minox is noticeably lighter. The Minox are also labeled made in China where the Kaibab is labeled Japan. The focus is a little more picky on the Minox while the Kaibab is a little more forgiving. They both come with standard accessories case, lens covers, and a neck strap. It is very bright and sunny today so it is hard to really say which has a better image in the sweet spot. Another thing to take into consideration is the Warranty. Not many, if any, have a better customer service department that Vortex. If it was me I could justify changing from the Minox to the Vortex Kaibab, but everyone sees things differently.  
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2012 at 17:02
So are the kaibabs the 15x version of the razor HDs?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2012 at 18:26
Originally posted by DCAMM94 DCAMM94 wrote:

So are the kaibabs the 15x version of the razor HDs?
I'd say the glass and optics puts the image in the same bracket for the two.  How similar the overall design is I couldn't say.
Steve

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic