OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Compare/Rate Them

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote @WitsEnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compare/Rate Them
    Posted: May/30/2012 at 11:11

As a optics novice, I would like to get a comparison between several scopes.  Coming from a Leupold family were the LPS and VX7 are king. Where does the new VX6 stand and how does it compare with others, particularly, Swarovski Z3, Z5, Z6 and Leica ER?  How would you guys compare/ rate them?  

VX6 = ???  (Z5, Z6, ER)
VX7=  ???  (Z3 or Z5)
LPS = ???   (Z3)

Thanks in advance
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2012 at 11:52
I think you probably want to be a little more specific about what exactly you are looking for and which configurations you are looking at.

I am not a big fan of VX-7 and LPS, but I do like the VX-6 quite a bit.

Optically, Swaro is better than any currently available Leupold of similar configuration.

However, VX-6 is very good in its own right and priced very well for what it offers.

ILya
@WitsEnd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote @WitsEnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2012 at 12:59
Sorry, I was trying to be general here as far as overall rating and overall optical performance. 

The configuration would be something in the 2-18x44 range.  Currently, I can't recall if that configuration comes in all those models.  

The uses would be for low light hunting. 

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2012 at 14:21
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I think you probably want to be a little more specific about what exactly you are looking for and which configurations you are looking at.

I am not a big fan of VX-7 and LPS, but I do like the VX-6 quite a bit.

Optically, Swaro is better than any currently available Leupold of similar configuration.

However, VX-6 is very good in its own right and priced very well for what it offers.

ILya

That's a matte of opinion, and there's no way in hades a Z6 is $1000+ better.  I have a Swaro A 3-12x50 handy to compare to my VX6 and the difference ain't there.  The VX6 is better IMO, although it's close.  
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2012 at 14:44
Jerry Springer
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2012 at 14:54
As said above it's only an opion. I do beleive My Z6I is worth more than $1000 over any lupey including the over priced scope they are rapeing our government with.There was a time when Leupold had a very good name in the optics community but that was a long time ago & now they are trying to get their image back on track but they have alot of up hill climbing to do.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2012 at 16:39
Yikes.  Havn't we gone through this before? Whether a Z6 is worth the premium over the VX-6 is a very personal decision.

For JG, it is not.
For Stickbow, it is.

It is a decision that everyone makes for themselves.

Z6 is, however, better optically than VX-6.

Some people can see it and some can not.  It is always best to see for yourself.  If they look the same to you, get a VX-6.  If you can see the difference, then it is time to decide whether it is worth the money.

Personally, I can see the difference.  Whether it is worth the money for me is a tough call.

ILya
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2012 at 09:02
You said "any Swaro".  That's not true.  I'll concede on the Z6.  
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2012 at 11:24
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

How about I'll clarify that to "any currently made Swaro of a similar configuration".

Does that satisfy your innate need for precision?

ILya

Edited by koshkin - May/31/2012 at 13:36
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2012 at 12:23

Some people can see it and some can not.

I think this says it all. And just because you can not see it does not mean it does not exist. I would take any Swaro over any Leupold any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2012 at 13:01

How about I'll clarify that to "any currently made Swaro of a similar configuration".

Does that satisfy your innate need for precision.

ILya

WOW JG.......Stare
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2012 at 16:33
Good thing I had my feelings taken out with my tonsils when I was a kid, huh?  Big Smile  

A 3-12x50 Swaro A is not better than a 2-12x42 VX6 by any stretch of the imagination.  
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2012 at 16:43

Good thing I had my feelings taken out with my tonsils when I was a kid, huh?  Big Smile  

A 3-12x50 Swaro A is not better than a 2-12x42 VX6 by any stretch of the imagination.  

I have not seen your specific 3-12x50 Swaro A, so I can not say for sure.

I have seen a fair number of Z3s and the closest comparable model to your VX-6 would be the 3-10x42.  I like the image through the Swaro more despite its disadvantage of not having side-focus.  That having been said, when I was looking into it, the targets were at about the right range for the side focus to play little difference.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2012 at 17:08

PRECISELY, what he said was:

I see no reason to elaborate further.  The statement stands... totally self sufficient..
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2012 at 09:20
This reminds me why I still keep a couple of crappy Tasco scopes so that when I am using better ones, some just only a tad bit better, I can be happy even though they are not the absolute best scope made.
The truth is that it really doesnt matter what someone else thinks is the best scope, because you need to go and look through them and determine what you like. There are many factors that can come into play and budget limits have stopped more guys from getting a better scope than any other factor.  It can be helpful knowing what others have had particularly good success with, or particularly bad problems with. Most expensive scopes offer only a tad bit better  true usefulness than the mid priced scopes but some have particular features that make them much more useful for one particular type of use.  Threads like this that ask what is the best X Y or Z entirely leave out all the factors that make it possible to answer the question of what will I find the most satisfactory for my particular use, because there are many factors that come into play.  Not everyone wants a big heavy scope with tactical knobs but not everyone wants an ultra light  scope with a limited power range.  When you compare the scopes we have today to what was available when my grandfather was hunting one can only wonder how he so successfuly killed so many deer with a fixed  8x Weaver.  There is way more to being a successful hunter than having the latest most expensive technology and I dare say that I can kill all the game I can eat with my bow and arrow.   So pick the scope that you like best after looking at the others and ask questions about what others like but remember that just because they like it doesnt mean you will.  Ask questions about why someone likes a particular scope because that really can help you understand the special features. Often the special features of a scope can be much more important than the quality of the glass.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2012 at 11:45
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

This reminds me why I still keep a couple of crappy Tasco scopes so that when I am using better ones, some just only a tad bit better, I can be happy even though they are not the absolute best scope made.
The truth is that it really doesnt matter what someone else thinks is the best scope, because you need to go and look through them and determine what you like. There are many factors that can come into play and budget limits have stopped more guys from getting a better scope than any other factor.  It can be helpful knowing what others have had particularly good success with, or particularly bad problems with. Most expensive scopes offer only a tad bit better  true usefulness than the mid priced scopes but some have particular features that make them much more useful for one particular type of use.  Threads like this that ask what is the best X Y or Z entirely leave out all the factors that make it possible to answer the question of what will I find the most satisfactory for my particular use, because there are many factors that come into play.  Not everyone wants a big heavy scope with tactical knobs but not everyone wants an ultra light  scope with a limited power range.  When you compare the scopes we have today to what was available when my grandfather was hunting one can only wonder how he so successfuly killed so many deer with a fixed  8x Weaver.  There is way more to being a successful hunter than having the latest most expensive technology and I dare say that I can kill all the game I can eat with my bow and arrow.   So pick the scope that you like best after looking at the others and ask questions about what others like but remember that just because they like it doesnt mean you will.  Ask questions about why someone likes a particular scope because that really can help you understand the special features. Often the special features of a scope can be much more important than the quality of the glass.

Very well stated Wes! Excellent

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2012 at 13:38
Nothing wrong with those Tasco cheapies,I have a SS 10x on my best .22lr & wouldn't think of swaping it out with any of the Alphas I own.It is like a mariage made in heaven.I don't have to worry about it braking as it's only $300 built like a battle ship,always holds zero & I know exactly which mil dot to hold for all distances out to 300yds.

So what does this mean;Wes answered the original question  in spades.Excellent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2012 at 18:43
Guys I love good scopes and I wish every scope I had was a super cool really expensive scope but those of us who carry a pistol for a living --- live in the real world --- and any thousand plus dollar scope comes really hard,  so pick wisely, look at each of them for yourself, and pay close attention to what Koshkin says about the subtle differences of these optics. And try to remember when you are asking about which is better that an educated answer requires a lot of information on how the scope will be used, caliber, distance, type of hunting, location, personal likes and dislikes, etc.  The more info you can give us when you ask the question the more accurately we can answer. Sometimes its kind of like asking which car should I get the red one the blue one or the green one -- the one I like you might not want at all -- its like art -- its a visual thing and sometimes your eye sees a tad different than the next guys.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2012 at 19:57
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Guys I love good scopes and I wish every scope I had was a super cool really expensive scope but those of us who carry a pistol for a living --- live in the real world --- and any thousand plus dollar scope comes really hard,  so pick wisely, look at each of them for yourself, and pay close attention to what Koshkin says about the subtle differences of these optics. And try to remember when you are asking about which is better that an educated answer requires a lot of information on how the scope will be used, caliber, distance, type of hunting, location, personal likes and dislikes, etc.  The more info you can give us when you ask the question the more accurately we can answer. Sometimes its kind of like asking which car should I get the red one the blue one or the green one -- the one I like you might not want at all -- its like art -- its a visual thing and sometimes your eye sees a tad different than the next guys.

That is what I have been saying all along. What works for one guy most likely will not for the next.

Like-
"Perfect glass" is down on the list to about #3-ish for me. Compact/lightweight is #1 to someone back east it maybe last on the list.

Budget is the other thing I will not put a $800 scope on a $500 tikka now, the someone else may.

Edited by rustic - June/01/2012 at 21:17
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2012 at 19:58
Which is why I will always be a dedicated NcStar afficianado...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic