OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

will SWFA make a spotter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: will SWFA make a spotter?
    Posted: May/29/2012 at 13:23
What about it guys? Ever thought of producing a spotter scope with the Mil-Quad reticle? Just a passing thought.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 13:46
Was it your post on the Hide?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 14:53
Interesting idea, to say the least. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 14:58
Yes it is an interesting Idea.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 15:20
Negitive on hide post.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 16:02
They could just make a FFP zoom 25-50 WA eyepiece with a mount that would fit Swarovski/Vortex/Zen Ray. That would be nice.
-Matt
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 17:37
i was thinking about this the other day. a compact spotter similar to the gold ring with an offset reticle would be sick.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 17:41
Originally posted by jjrgr21 jjrgr21 wrote:

i was thinking about this the other day. a compact spotter similar to the gold ring with an offset reticle would be sick.

You mean like this one?

http://swfa.com/Leupold-12-40x60-Mark-4-Tactical-Spotter-P48101.aspx
-Matt
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 21:50
On a spotter I would much prefer this type of reticle offset, as opposed to the horus  shown by BB. It being the mil-quad of the SS would be even better!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 21:58
What specific configuration would you like to see?

There are quite a few spotters with reticles out there, like the above mentioned Leupold.

What would you like SWFA to make that would be different?

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 23:20
I really like the configuration of the the US optics field scope, but can't afford one. I also realize that some like angled spotting scopes, which is totally impossible with my pick...I would also be ok with a medium bodied design about the size of the Leupold tactical spotters... 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 23:41
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

I really like the configuration of the the US optics field scope, but can't afford one. I also realize that some like angled spotting scopes, which is totally impossible with my pick...I would also be ok with a medium bodied design about the size of the Leupold tactical spotters... 

Something along the lines of the USO scope would be something I would get interested in.  With a few changes of course: Mil-Quad based reticle and shorter eye relief (there is no compelling reason for civilians to have a spotter with 2.5 inches of eye relief).

ILya
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 23:49
yeah, but not leupold, and a larger mag range. we had the leupold tacs, and not a fan. i'm just partial to the mil-quad now. and the leupold design doesn't sit in an m15 well.

maybe like the little burris spotter, but beefier and well, better.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2012 at 00:07
I was not suggesting the leuppy as a goal for optics...I was just suggesting a size that would be good for ME... And yes the shorter eye relief of the field scope design would be better. I will not need to be wearing a gas mask while spotting...Hopefully!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2012 at 06:33
I like the ranging reticle configuration on the Vortex Razor tactical eyepieces.  They are offset.

A similar arrangement with the mil-quad would be nice.  Also the addition of numbered diamonds would be great.
-Matt
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2012 at 14:39
i think the leuppy would be a good starting place for size and weight. i like the way vortex has the outline for quick ranging, but that might make it a little busy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2012 at 18:33
I originally tried to post a link to the Zeiss tac spotter for offset reticle preference. I am not sure what happened... But hind-sight being 20/20, I much prefer the off-set that the Razor uses. A simple L with the mil-quad diamonds would be just about perfect. Set it off-center to the left or right 1/3, 10 mils up, 10 mils horizontal... Oh, and if we go with a field scope design, could we make it a rear focus like the original SS line of scopes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2012 at 18:37
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2012 at 21:26
This is exactly what I wanted to see happen.   I'm thinking something along the lines of a Razor HD with a mil-quad.  Guys need to talk it up to get it on somebodies drawing board.  Chris, you listenin' my brother? LOL!   
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2012 at 21:40
I would also make the attachment area smaller on the USO and increase the glass quality.
Love their screw in lens covers, hated the long eye relief/small field of view--I do understand it was purpose built for folks serving, but it doesn't work good for hunters and shooters.
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

Something along the lines of the USO scope would be something I would get interested in.  With a few changes of course: Mil-Quad based reticle and shorter eye relief (there is no compelling reason for civilians to have a spotter with 2.5 inches of eye relief).

ILya
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic