OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Difference between Z6 vs Z5 optically?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote @WitsEnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Difference between Z6 vs Z5 optically?
    Posted: May/28/2012 at 22:48
Is there a difference optically between Z6 vs Z5?

If I'm correct the Z5 is a one inch tube with the ability the zoom in five times closer. Conversely, the Z6 has a 30mm tube with six times the ability to zoom closer to your target.

But does the Z6 have more coatings on it?

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 09:28
According to SWARO the glass is identical unlike the Z3 where they cut a few corners.I've owned all 3 & I'm just more comfortable with my Z6I's because of the 30mm tube.Then again it could be just phsycological.In any event I don't beleive you can go wrong with either the Z5or Z6.

Might also want to give SWARO a call !
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 09:57
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

According to SWARO the glass is identical unlike the Z3 where they cut a few corners.I've owned all 3 & I'm just more comfortable with my Z6I's because of the 30mm tube.Then again it could be just phsycological.In any event I don't beleive you can go wrong with either the Z5or Z6.

Might also want to give SWARO a call !

This is not my understanding. According to the information I have read from Swarovski. The quality of glass and coating technology in the Z3 and Z5 lines is the same, although the z5 has an improved dual-spring erector assembly. The glass and coatings on the Z5 and Z6 lines are the same as well, until you get to the large objective models (I believe 50mm and up), where they actually use (HD) glass in the objective.

I may be wrong. Maybe I will shoot off an email to Swarovski.
-Matt
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 10:13
You have to be careful with phrases like "glass and coating are the same".  That sometimes implies that image quality is the same and that is not the case.

All Swarovski scopes use lens elements and coating made to the same (very high ) standard.

However, the overall optical system is designed differently in different scope lines and therefore the image quality is also different.  It is very good across the board, but Z6 is a bit better than Z5 and both are a bit better than Z3.

There are also mechanical differences, but I am only talking about optics here.

As far as low dispersion glass goes, technically, it is not really a function of objective size, but rather of magnification.   If memory serves me right all high magnification Z6 scopes (12x and above) use some sort of an ED glass element in the objective lens system.  I do not remember whether the same goes for high magnification Z5s.

ILya
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 10:47
I did not mean to imply the image quality was the same, just the materials and coatings were the same, and that I was not aware of any cut corners on the Z3 line, in materials at least.

Thanks for the clarification on the magnification vs. objective size. That makes sense.
-Matt
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 13:37
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

You have to be careful with phrases like "glass and coating are the same".  That sometimes implies that image quality is the same and that is not the case.

All Swarovski scopes use lens elements and coating made to the same (very high ) standard.

However, the overall optical system is designed differently in different scope lines and therefore the image quality is also different.  It is very good across the board, but Z6 is a bit better than Z5 and both are a bit better than Z3.

There are also mechanical differences, but I am only talking about optics here.

As far as low dispersion glass goes, technically, it is not really a function of objective size, but rather of magnification.   If memory serves me right all high magnification Z6 scopes (12x and above) use some sort of an ED glass element in the objective lens system.  I do not remember whether the same goes for high magnification Z5s.

ILya

Acording to my knowledge the HD glass is only used on the Z6 scopes with a magnification of 15 and higher.
Regards Chris
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 13:44
It could be 15x and higher.  I was not sure what the magnification cut-off was.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic