OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Viper 20-60x80 Nikon Prostaff 5 Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seamaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viper 20-60x80 Nikon Prostaff 5 Help
    Posted: May/28/2012 at 16:36
Hello, I need some urgent help here. I can't decide between the new Nikon Prostaff 5 20-60x82mm Fieldscope or Vortex Viper 20-60x82. I knew both scopes are great. I had chance to try an older style prostaff before, it was very good for the money. I mainly use the scope for range, and little bit landscapping. weight is not an issue. I can't find any place to test either one. So any input is helpfull. I can find the nikon for $499, Viper for little over $600, and Viper HD for $749 (maybe).

Thanks!!
Bushnell 4200 Elite Tactical 3-12x44 Mildot illuminated
Bushnell 4200 1.25-4x24 4A illuminated
Minox ZA5 2-10x40 (sold)
Conquest 3-9x40 with Factory Target Turret
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 16:51
i have the 15-45 viper HD, and it's awesome. and if anything happens to it, you're covered. not so much with the nikon, you're pretty much, not covered with the nikon.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 17:19
Nikon's customer service was suitable to me this winter, as they adjusted the focus tension on my ED50 for their reasonable $20 flat fee on sport optics. Turn around time was 3 weeks.

Vortex' customer service is on a different level. I called them about a tiny 1mm fiber I could see on the inside of an objective element in my Razor HD spotter, to see if it would do anything to the optical performance, and if it would fall away on its own. The gal on the phone asked for my email. A few seconds later a prepaid FedEx label popped up. I sent the scope in. 9 days later I received my same scope back with a note that the tiny thread was removed, the scope was completely cleaned, repurged, and reexamined on their calibration equipment. No charge for anything, including shipping.

Vortex is the gold standard of sport optics Customer Service, IMO.
-Matt
Seamaster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seamaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 18:00
Sonds like Vortex get better CS in general. How about optical performance?
Minox ZA5 2-10x40 (sold)
Seamaster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seamaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 18:03
Originally posted by jjrgr21 jjrgr21 wrote:

i have the 15-45 viper HD, and it's awesome. and if anything happens to it, you're covered. not so much with the nikon, you're pretty much, not covered with the nikon.
How's eye relief on your viper? Is it forgivening?
Minox ZA5 2-10x40 (sold)
msummer88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msummer88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2012 at 19:46
I finally jumped the gun and got the Vortex Viper HD 20-60. I'm really happy with it. I was looking at the same scopes you are looking. I went with the Viper because through my eyes it for sure better on optical clarity and light gathering capabilities. When you zoom out to about 50-60 it becomes a little hazy but that's expected to a extent. The only thing I didn't like about it is that its a heavy sucker, at least compared to the Nikon. But overall I've been impressed with it.

If your not too concerned with light gathering, I would consider the smaller Viper HD if your open to it. It may be a little easier to mule around.
Seamaster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seamaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2012 at 21:18
Thanks. I went to Sportman's warehouse this week end. The staff was kind enough to set up Viper 15-45x65 none HD and prostaff 5 in 60mm on tripods. It is very hard to tell the difference in optical quality. I have to give edge to viper for better color and easier eye position. I was told the Viper HD is in different leadgauge
Minox ZA5 2-10x40 (sold)
msummer88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msummer88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2012 at 10:15
I noticed a difference between the HD and the none HD. The HD showed sharper edges and better color. You really have to take it outside to really see the differences. Cabelas let me take them outside. But those Nikons are a lot more affordable and still have a good piece of glass.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2012 at 08:41
i'ts got a great eyebox. i mainly use it for video on ground hogs. but i like it a lot, well worth the $$.

and vortex's CS is second to none, you can't beat them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic