OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

conquest,,,,,definintly not impressed!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaltb4k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: conquest,,,,,definintly not impressed!!!
    Posted: May/26/2012 at 13:28
i have a new zeiss conquest 6.5x20x50 with the mildot reticle.id like to get others opinions on conquests.i have a nightforce and a bushnell 6500 on another rifle.the nightforce in a different world all together and the conquest is not even worthy of a comparison,but my bushnell 6500 4x30 has much clearer glass and seems to be built much better!i guess i expected more from a $900 scope.have you folks heard this before?Shocked
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2012 at 13:49
In a word... NO
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
jaltb4k View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaltb4k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2012 at 14:11
hmmm....do you think there is maybe something wrong with it then?i wasnt expecting a z6 caliber scope for $900........but was at least hoping it would be better than my bushy 6500
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2012 at 14:47
There is always the possibility of a defect, not common with Zeiss products, but not unknown.  I'm a "hands on" operational kind of guy.  Hard for me to imagine what you may be experiencing without seeing for myself.  My first question, are you sure the Conquest is properly focused?  I have played with a number of 6500's and while they are quite good, to my eyes they are certainly not better than Conquest, glasswise.  Neither is NF.  NF's claim to fame is "good" glass with super rugged internals and great design (and nifty reticles).  Once again, my eyes, but I've not encountered a NF that had visibly better glass quality than Conquest.  
However, it seems to me the Conquest vs Nightforce question does not compute well since they are intended for entirely different purposes.  Yes, you CAN use them for the same things, but one is not optimum for the strengths of the other.  The 6500, to me, is kind of a crossover.  But the Conquest leads as far as glass goes.  

If you are properly focused and still believe the Conquest inferior to the other two, I would contact the dealer.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
jaltb4k View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaltb4k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2012 at 15:02
i have the benchrest version of the nightforce.....so i think the comparison is ok.i am pretty sure i have the focus set correctly....but maybe it is worth a few more tries with the focus.you are not the first person to speak so highly of the conquest.that is the main reason i gave it a try.but after your comments.......i feel some more time spent on the focus may be warranted.if not,i will do as you say and contact the seller.thanks for your insight!Big Grin
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2012 at 20:18
I really like the Conquest I have and was not overly impressed with the several Nightforce scopes I have had the chance to use. U.S. Optics on the other hand I like very much.  The high end Bushnell scopes do have good glass so some of it may be just how your eyes see through the particular coatings on the lenses and it really isnt that uncommon for one guy to look at several scopes and pick one as best and another guy look at the same scopes and pick a different one as best.  The general consensus however is that the Conquest is a good value of quality to cost and pretty good glass and useful reliable features. Kahles scopes look really good to my eye where I am not as fond of the Swarovski mainly because of the finer reticle.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
BobbyH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2012 at 20:42
You must have a defect in the Zeiss, my Conquest 4.5-14x50 is every bit on par if not better than my Nightforce NXS 3-15x50.  I like my dials and velocity 1000 ret alot on my Nightforce, but for nearly half the price my Conquest in every bit as good.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic