OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

MEMORIAL Day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MEMORIAL Day
    Posted: May/26/2012 at 09:56
After World War I, Memorial Day became a Day of Remembrance, honoring
all Americans who died in selfless service to our great nation.  Again this Memorial Day, we pause to honor the memory of our service members who have given their lives ensuring our privilege of freedom.  In addition to honoring our fallen heroes, we also pay tribute to all of the service men and women and their families who sacrifice on a daily basis for our country.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2012 at 11:35
Thank you
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2012 at 11:57
Well said KB! Thank you for posting a remembrance for a holiday so many forget the true meaning of. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all those who have served, including the families, especially those who have given all for the red white and blue!

Excellent
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2012 at 14:04
AMEN! 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2012 at 15:28
A very good reminder....Thanks

I never miss the parades,love the thrown candy & the look on the kids faces as they start their collecting all the little goodies.I think all who are no longer here would have a smile on their face & a prayer in their heart.

RIP you great Warriors American Flag
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2012 at 17:24
Kids who became men on the battle field. Blake Williams, Lance Eakes served in my squad in Iraq 04-05 two very different young men who loved to horse around until things got thick. Then they were quick to the fight and showed no fear. We and many others in that tour earned our combat pay and then some. When called to return to Iraq in 2007 injuries I suffered kept me back but Blake as with the rest of our company was ready to do what ever asked. Numbers were short due to injuries and a drop in force strength so Lance volunteered being the fighter he was. I don't remember the month or the day, its still a very difficult thing for me but, I remember the pain, anger and frustration of not being there to take a stand with them. In two seperate IED attacks about two weeks apart their Humvees were distroyed. Blake being the driver in his all were lost. Lance being the gunner was lost when the truck was flipped. The rest of the crew survived to carry on the fight for our brothers.

Blake Williams, Lance Eakes With all my being I remember you. I honor you. I write your names in the sight of those who I know will stand with me in respect to your service and sacrifice.
We Salute you, God keep all that is dear to you until we join you in His Kingdom. Amen.

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2012 at 17:58
Salute

May we never take for granted the freedoms bought by the blood of those serving our country.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2012 at 19:52
Salute

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2012 at 20:24
Amen, brother!  
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2012 at 20:57
Marines
Semper Fi

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2012 at 23:30
Amen, gentlemen.

I was having lunch with a friend of mine earlier today and he was not all that sure what Memorial day is all about.  He (like I am) is also an immigrant and for somewhere who did not grow up here it iw often hard to figure out what Memorial Day is all about.

After some digging around, I found this picture (posted on Facebook by Respect Outdoors) and thought this would give hime a very good idea of what Memorial Day is all about.

Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 13:12
Thanks to everyone for your stories and pictures during this day honoring our nation's fighting men and women.

As a bit more of remembrance of our nation's fighting history, two days ago, May 26, 2012, the USS Iowa set out from San Francisco bay on her final voyage to a permanent berth in San Pedro (Los Angeles), CA.

In 2005, the city council of San Francisco voted to deny the USS Iowa a permanent berth in San Francisco bay, as a protest against US involvement in the Iraq war.
However, citizens groups in the Bay area tried to overcome the politics and secure financing to berth the Iowa as a permanent floating museum at Suisun, or some other port in the Bay area, but were unsuccessful.
When a group emerged with a valid and working plan to have the famed old warship docked permanently in the Los Angeles waterfront area, the Iowa state legislature contributed $3 million and other groups brought donations to over $7 million in funds and a permanent SOCAL berth was secured.

Even though the "city fathers" knew that the ship would likely bring millions in tourist dollars to San Francisco every year, they could not get over their leftist mindset and let the USS Iowa slip away.

The USS Iowa during firepower demonstrations in 1984 off Vieques Island, and as she makes her final voyage beneath the Golden Gate... which incidentally had it's 75th anniversary, yesterday, may 27, 2012.

Edited by Alan Robertson - May/28/2012 at 13:17
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 13:26
The USS Iowa will not immediately become a museum, as her status has been changed recently from "donation" to "reserve", meaning she may be called up again and even though she will serve as a floating museum of sorts, certain areas aboard ship will remain off limits.

It seems that someone within our vast government realized that this nation is now completely incapable of duplicating the Iowa's 16" armor plated, 33 knot hull and that there may be some number of reasons in future to upgrade her to modern capabilities.

The battleship USS Alabama which is permanently berthed in Battleship Park, Mobile Bay, helps bring in an estimated $30 million annually to the Mobile area.

Who can help but smile at the thought of monetary loss to NORCAL Bay area due to the folly of San Franciscans.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 16:02
Sgt D, our debt to you cannot be repaid, you have given much in service to this country.  For your fallen comrades, there is nothing I can offer but my respect and heartfelt sorrow at the passing of such fine Americans.  God rest their souls.  
Peace, may it come in our day...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 16:40
All very good posts.

These things bring everything in prospective... don't they?
It is far to easy to forget what really matters.

Thank you
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 17:09
Thanks to all those brave warriors, past and present.
-Matt
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 18:13
To those who have gone before, THANK YOU! To those who continue to serve, Semper Fi!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 19:17
. Some of the best men to ever serve with. 6 of those men weren't in my battalion, but part of the 28th Infantry Regiment. This was one 15 month deployment to Baghdad, 2007-08.

SPC James Adair, SPC Camy Florexil, you were two amazing men, friends, brothers and warriors. I am very thankful of your sacrifice, and I will never forget.

SPC James Adair never made it home to see his daughter, who came into this world just before he died.

You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

mark olindale View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark olindale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 19:24
Thank you to all of those that have served. Thanks to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 08:19
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.

Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people.
Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend,
even a stranger, when in a lonely place.
Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living.
If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself.

Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools
and robs the spirit of its vision.

When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled
with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep
and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way.
Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

With that I give you Tecumseh
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic