OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

my first 308, 600 yard+ capable

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 12:00
Originally posted by stork23raz stork23raz wrote:

Well I guess if I can come up with the funds i will try to get the 5R, Badger base &rings, SS 5-20x50. If if  i dont I will have to go with 700p, still try to get the SS, hopefully. 

Thanks for the help.

I would still go with the 5R over the 700P and consider a SS fixed 10x HD for $800. 10x with good glass is more than enough to go well past 600yds.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 12:02
Also on the sample list they have a 10x HD for $650.

http://www.samplelist.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-HD-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P54714.aspx
02Silver View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 02Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 13:30
10X HD is an excellent choice and you can save some more by getting TPS rail and rings.  I'd find a used 5R or buy a new Savage FCP with the McMillan stock from the factory.  Whole lot of capabilities right there.  Well beyond most of our skill levels right away.  Stock Savage reputation as a shooter is damn good the last few years.
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 10:16
I will leave the rifle choices to the rifle guys.
The 6-24 Sightron S-III with the MOA Reticle is a real nice piece of glass, tough, and a great reticle.
It is a best buy for what you get for your money.  I have several S-III 6-24's.
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 10:39
Originally posted by Ernie Bishop Ernie Bishop wrote:

The 6-24 Sightron S-III with the MOA Reticle is a real nice piece of glass, tough, and a great reticle.
I have only heard great things about the sightron glass and tracking. I hear its one of hte best buys for the money. I would definitley consider it over the vortex. It originally was one of my options, but I have not heard anything about their durability and ruggedness. Most of what I have heard and read is from paper punchers.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 16:25

I have only heard great things about the sightron glass and tracking. I hear its one of hte best buys for the money. I would definitley consider it over the vortex. It originally was one of my options, but I have not heard anything about their durability and ruggedness. Most of what I have heard and read is from paper punchers.

Have one on a 338 EDGE and it has held up fine.  If I was going to be draggin this rifle around a lot on hunts, strapped to a pack, behind the truck seat, I would get covered turrents.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 18:26
Originally posted by Sapper524 Sapper524 wrote:

Have one on a 338 EDGE and it has held up fine.  If I was going to be draggin this rifle around a lot on hunts, strapped to a pack, behind the truck seat, I would get covered turrets.

Well how does the SIII compare with the SS5-20x50?
http://swfa.com/Sightron-6-24x50-SIII-30mm-Riflescope-P9151.aspx
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Bree View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2012 at 23:21
For the price of that scope, you can pick up a Vortex 4-16x50, that has a FFP reticle and matching mil turrets and illumination. And on top of all that, most consider the glass better on the Vortex as well...

Advertisements REMOVED....

Edited by Kickboxer - June/06/2012 at 05:12
Bree Vandicamp
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2012 at 23:46
I spent the day on the range with an R5  300WM with TPS Base, Seekins Ring, and a 3-9 SS MQ. I will note:  that I like the Talley base better than the TPS Base because for some oddball reason TPS uses the smaller than average size Torques screw.  On the other hand the Seekins Rings drove me almost as nuts because they use the larger than average size Torques screw.  Talley, Warn, Badger, Leupold, Burris and dam near everyone else on earth uses the same size Torques screw and since I have the handy dandy Warne torque wrench I use that to set the screws - well I would if they were the size I wish they were. 
Honestly you can buy Warne Base and rings and be OK - for cheap, now if its a combat gun yea the Badger rings and base are the best,  The Talley Lightweight ring base one piece mount is a verry realistic alternative too because with any Super Sniper scope you dont need to worry about having a plus 20 moa base. Of the good bases that are not as spendy as Badger the Talley base is top quality but their rings are spendy.
Warne Maxima Permanent Attach 30mm Rings Warne Maxima Permanent Attach 30mm Rings
Stock # - 214M2
  • Matte
  • Medium
$44.95 
Talley Lightweight Aluminum 30mm Scopemount Talley Lightweight Aluminum 30mm Scopemount
Stock # - 740700
  • Howa 1500
  • Remington 40X
  • Remington 700
  • Remington 721
  • Remington 722
  • Remington 725
  • Matte
  • Medium
  • 30mm
  • this ring and base combo doesnt need a seperate base its all one piece and is quite solid
$44.95 
Talley 1 Piece Base Talley 1 Piece Base
Stock # - PS0252700
  • Remington 40X Long Action
  • Remington 700 Short Action
  • Remington 721 Short Action
  • Remington 722 Short Action
  • Remington 725 Short Action
  • Matte
$54.95 
Talley 1 Piece Base Talley 1 Piece Base
Stock # - PSM252700
  • Remington 40X Long Action
  • Remington 700 Short Action
  • Remington 721 Short Action
  • Remington 722 Short Action
  • Remington 725 Short Action
  • Matte
  • 20 MOA
$54.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2012 at 23:48
Warne 25in/lb T-15 Torque Wrench Warne 25in/lb T-15 Torque Wrench
Stock # - TW1
$21.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2012 at 23:50
This is the fancy torque wrench - still on my wish list. Whistling
Borka Tools MG5 Multi Torque Driver Kit Borka Tools MG5 Multi Torque Driver Kit
Stock # - BORMG5

MG5 driver kit, includes MTD-15x72-12FS-MG driver, TAB GEAR pouch and extra Sniper RifleAccessories:

• A. 2" long bit holder (Autolock extension or secondary driver spindle)
  • B. 1/4" hex (male) drive to 1/4" square (male) drive adapter
  • C. 1/4" square (female) drive to 3/8" square (male) drive adapter
  • D. Compact 1/4" hex ratchet wrench
  • E. 1/2" hex socket with 1/4" square drive
  • F. 3 1/2" long custom 3/16" hex bit for AICS action screws
  • G. Hex: 3/32", 7/64", 9/64", 5/32", 3/16", 3 mm, 5 mm
  • H. Custom 3/16" hex AICS action screws bit
  • I. Total of 18 bits (1/4" hex, S2 steel) in 2 compact bit organizers:
    • Torx: T-10, T-15, T-20, T25, T-30
    • Slotted: 4.5 mm, 7 mm
    • Phillips: #1, #2
    • Pozi: #1, #2

$129.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2012 at 07:56
Ur,

Get the Borka.  You'll wonder how you ever got along without it once you use it once.  It packs up so nice in the pouch that it's easy to take along.  You can also get it with a nice hard red metal case + the pouch if you want.

I'll be using my Borka on Friday to mount up my new SS 5-20 in some Aadmount rings.  My Savage 10PC is gonna be stylin'!!!!!
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2012 at 11:16
Yea i think the borka is neat. i might get one eventually, i have a Fat wrench that i been using for years now. It serves it purpose well, no complaints.

billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2012 at 00:50
The Borka is the BOMB!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2012 at 12:21
I think there's a smaller Borka kit that costs less. Nothing else will be as versatile and reliable. You can either go with accurate, fixed wrenches like the Seekonks (I used to have one) or something variable like the Wheeler (but, sorry, I just can't bring myself to trust a $22 tool). The Borka always keeps the same tension and relies on the distance along the lever arm to set the amount of torque. It's an ingenious design.
Reaction time is a factor...
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2012 at 18:31
+3 on the Borka.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2012 at 12:06
How does the Sightron SIII 6-24 fit into the area? I hear they have near nightforce tracking and glass, never heard of how durable they are though. No that im going ot be purposely thrashing it, but good chance that will get some bumps and bruises.

Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2012 at 16:07
My oldest S-III has been on a number of specialty handguns and on a 375 Chey-Tac rifle and it has held up well on each and every rig.
I would put one on any rig I own.
I intend to get another 6-24 S-III with MOA reticle before the end of the year.

Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2012 at 16:15

My oldest S-III has been on a number of specialty handguns and on a 375 Chey-Tac rifle and it has held up well on each and every rig.
I would put one on any rig I own.
I intend to get another 6-24 S-III with MOA reticle before the end of the year.

Yes i was considering the SIII orginally, but I only heard reports of it just as a bench gun, and that was it. It seems to be more in my reachable price range and has what I need, 

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2012 at 23:17
slightly off the scope subject, but generally speaking of remington what kind of upgrades and money would it take to get the 5R(not me)  capable of shooting 1 minute at 1000yards. like i said, i plan on getting into fclass to improve my ability. Will most likely be shooting 600 yards matches, but i would like to try a 1000 yard a few times to once i get capable.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic