OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Some CQB reticle links..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some CQB reticle links..
    Posted: March/01/2006 at 18:53

http://homepage.mac.com/egsimmers/cqb-intermediate.html

Ran across this a briefly looked through it and thought some of you optics geeks may be interested in them.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2006 at 20:42

Thanks for posting this.  I have an IOR 4x24 with CQB reticle and I like it quite a bit.  Very fast acquisition when needed, and good precision when that is called for.  It also has a BDC that works well for heavy 223 loads out to about 500 yards, I think.

Of the other reticles, I am very interested in trying out Leupold's 1.5-5x20 MR/T (if I ever recover from the sticker shock, which seems unlikely at the moment).

I recently had a chance to look at a Meopta Meostar 1-4x22 and was very impressed (a bit less of a sticker shock than Leupold).  I also looked at another Meopta (3-10x50, I think) and it seems like it is in the same class as IOR and Zeiss Conquest.

Trijicon 1.25-4x20 has been on my list of scopes to get for a while.  I like low-range variables.  I do not like how much the eye relief changes with magnification, but I think I can live with that.  Similar glass to Leupold VX-III.

Nightforce, S&B and Horus are so far out of my reach that they are not even worth discussing.  From where I sit, that is way too much money for a scope.

ILya

Charlie70 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2006 at 23:06
They are expensive, koshkin, but if you're serious about precision long range shooting, the Horus and Nightforce are hard to beat with their gridpoint reticles and aiming software. These systems are precise, as long as the shooter is also.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2006 at 23:13
I am most definitely not serious enough about precision long range shooting to drop the cash for a S&B.  That's not what I do for a living.

Besides, these are not long range scopes either.  I am sure they are worth the money for some people, but certainly not for me.

ILya
Charlie70 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 10:19
I didn't click the link till after my post. I didn't notice it was about lower power scopes. The S&B is very pricey, too much for my taste. I guess I'm just a big fan of the Horus and Nightforce scopes.....
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 12:02

They are great scopes.  No question there.  I just can't justify spending that much money on them.

ILya

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 14:17

I would take a US Optics SN-4.

ACOGS are the hot ticket right now with some military units in the box.

I'll probably never own one of these though. Give me an Aimpoint w/ a Larue mount and I'm good to go.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Charlie70 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 15:59
One that I purchased recently is an ATN digital compact reflex sight. Pretty cool little unit. It's very quick to point.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 16:48

I bought one at some point and it crapped out after a couple of shots.  I exchanged it and it also died, so I returned it.  I hope your luck with them is better than mine, but I had nothing but bad luck with ATN products.

ILya

Charlie70 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 20:34
Hmmm, that surprises me. I have really like mine. It holds zero very well even when switching reticles. I also have their 5 x 33 on a DPMS Bull 16 and it has been a very good scope. Very accurate and the bullet drop compensator works well also. My only beef with their scopes is that they are heavy. The 5 x 33 weighs a whopping 24 oz.

Edited by Charlie70
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 20:48

If you've got a good one, keep it and enjoy it.  ATN does seem to have a reputation for spotty quality control.  My cousin had problems with his Ultra Sight.  I had a 3-9x55 with a wobbly objective lens.

ILya

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic