OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Savage MK II Inaccurate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savage MK II Inaccurate
    Posted: May/25/2012 at 07:20
Last year, before buying my own Savage Mark II TRR-SR, I of course did some background digging for reviews, videos, etc. I liked what i saw in the accuracy it was putting out on those reviews. I dropped a few bills, had a proven Leupold 3-9x40mm mounted on it, and bought a few more varieties of .22LR to test fire it because we know some .22s are picky of what we feed them and whether they spit them out or print them nicely on paper for us. I got to shooting this rifle and it would not print anything resembling what i have shot with other rifles, cheaper rifles, cheaper scopes, or what I've seen online. At 50 yards, the groups measure about a palm sized group. Types of rounds used were CCI, Federal, Winchester, Eley Match, Wolf Match, Remington subsonic, CCI Stinger (jams in magazine, a little longer than most .22s), Eley Sporter (purple box), and anything i could even get my grubby hands on in desperation at the local Wal-Mart from the 'bulk' .22 boxes in hopes of finding a sweet round it likes. The only one that could decently make small-game hunting-sized groups (1"- 1 1/2"), if that, is CCI's 40-grain Solid Point. I have taken the scope off, mounted it onto a plain-jane 10/22 and shot 3/4" groups with it at the same distance with several of the rounds I was feeding the MK II. To make sure of my non-sloppyness, I took my Savage 10FP in .223 out of the trunk and set up a 200 yard paper target and fired 10 rounds out of it. Coldbore shot was in the usual 1/2 minute high and the following 9 rounds printed 3/4" low of the aiming point (zeroed @ 100 yds). Took the US Optics off my Savage 10FP and placed it on the Savage MK II after rechecking the supplied and mounted scope base. Same results, same CCI brand placing the so-far-best groups. Now, the description of the rifle states, "TRR-SR" for being suppressor ready. There are no threads, but there is a recessed target crown in place. No biggie since I have no interest in a sound suppressor and local law does not allow them to be owned. ANY information or suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2012 at 09:24

Order a box of Lapua center x 22 bullets, try them, if they don't work your gun needs to be looked at by a competent gunsmith.  I have tried that ammo in every 22 i have and it has always been the cream of the crop, the second best was fiocchi. 

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2012 at 09:33
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Ratface View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2012 at 09:40
SVT,
Thank you for the ammunition reference. I'll put the Lapua brand in my online "wishlist" so it is waiting for me when i get home, as I am deployed. I'll even throw in the box of Fiocchi brand as well. Trying all sorts of ammunition. I've also searched for competent gun-smittys in my local area stateside to take my rifle to. I've gone as far as buying a newer inch/lb torque wrench to set every screw from the bottom of the rifle to the scope rings. Was considering "blue" loc-tite, but that seemed too extreme for a .22LR. After shooting sessions, I would attempt to re-torque the scope ring nuts again as we were taught in "school" (65-in/lbs). As expected from a .22, all the screws/nuts were still at their torque levels. In the end, my conclusion would be to just accept the rare fact that I've bought that one Savage rifle off the line that 'walks in circles because of a shorter leg'.  
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2012 at 09:43

If that lapua doesnt work I'd get the barrel recrowned first, thats a simple enough and cheap enough start, Savage may even be willing to look at the issues before you spend money on it.  If the ammo can't be found, call them.  I imagine they'd like a chance to check it out.

Ratface View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2012 at 09:58
SVT,
WOW!!! That test of .22s had to take some time and effort. My wife also has the CZ 452 rifle and it shoots like a champ out to 100-yds utilizing the "purple" Eley Sport, although your particular rifle didnt like that brand. Even more proof to back-up your statement of how rifles prefer different types of ammunition. Thank-you for the insight. I'll definately be giving the pricey Lapua a chance. Then next, send it in to Savage before I go tinkering around with it and they say it's because I mingled around with the muzzle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2012 at 10:47
Welcome to Optics Talk and Godspeed during your deployment. This forum covets our vets and others doing God's work CONUS and abroad.

Those Savage rifles are typically VERY accurate out of the box. I would encourage you to go to Rimfire Central and check out some posts over there. That website has a literal cornucopia of knowledge concerning rimfire's and the folks over there are usually more than willing to help a fellow shooter out.
They have a dedicated Savage forum as well.   

I too have a couple CZ 452's. The .22 LR is, as Rifledude would say, "spooky" accurate. The .17 HMR has been a bit more fickle, I believe, due to to the stock touching the action, at some point. I have stacked some washers between the action screws and the action itself and it seems to have improved accuracy, to some degree. 

Again, glad your here and all the best! 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Ratface View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2012 at 14:14
Cheaptrick,

Thank you for the Welcome and support of vets and contractors home and abroad. I have visited the website and there is plenty of information there surrounding rimfires than i've imagined. I scoped over several topics concerning my particuler problem (one), but not as ugly as my bullet-printing problem. I just may have the first Savage Mark II TRR-SR to shoot scattergun patterns. Most of the solving has been completed sending several 100s of rounds down the tube (500). My last round count set it in at 350 rounds of various kinds. There were also fixes, as SVT recommended, to recrown the muzzle. Some highly encourage different types of torque settings, as to where i've been using the stock-action torque at a "SWAG" for a .22-friendly 45-in/lbs. There are plenty of things for me to try again before sending it in. The site is very informative.

Yes, I'd have to agree with you hands down on the "spooky" accuracy of the CZ 452. My wife loves her .22LR and enjoys shooting it when we go to the riflerange. She realizes the accuracy potential, and mainly uses it for silhouette shooting or plinking veggie cans at 50-125 yards out. I give her props on her fine selection as we got both our .22 rifles the same day. Her's obviously grins on the riflerange while my choice slumps over as I try every sandbag (front & rear), bipod, scope combo i can to squeeze every ounce of accuracy out of it.

Again, Thanks for the informative website.     Ratface
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2012 at 14:41
My CZ .22 LR seems to shoot best with the screws torqued around 24 in lbs. Of course, your rifle my prefer another torque setting, but when I torque the screws down past 24 or so in my rimfire stocks, accuracy suffers. I can only assume that the action is stressed, thus causing a FUBAR somehow. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic