OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

My First Real Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My First Real Scope
    Posted: May/24/2012 at 17:41
Hello Everyone! I'm new here, and I need help with my first real scope purchase. I've been reading through the forums for about a week now, and I still don't know what scope to choose.
  My first scope is going on a .308 designated marksman rifle. Here's a list of parts;

Mega MA10 billet upper and lower set
20" custom Tri-Flat Flute .308 Match Barrel 1:11 twist,Polygonal 3 groove
DPMS Hard Chrome Bolt Carrier with Hard Chrome Gas Key installed
DPMS .308 Bolt with DLC Coating
PRI 14" Carbon Fiber Black GenIII Handguard with rail panels installed
PWS FSC30 Compensator
Low Profile Gas Block
Melonite coated rifle length gas tube
Microslick inside of upper reciever

This is going to be a scope I'm going to learn and grow with. Field of view is important, and durability is important. This will not be used for CQB. Perimeter defense/suppression fire/sniper.
  My best attempt at a 20" M110 I'm not a sniper, but I want to use this gun for all around ranch protection, marksmanship training, and maybe a little hunting. But first I will be paper punching to learn how to use the scope. My budget is $1000 to $1500 give or take. I know this is an all optics forum but, I'm still looking at triggers and butt stocks. Suggestions on these would be great too. All you guys seem knowledgible, and have tons of experience.  Thanks for your time and all your assistance.

Regards,Smile 

"water should be a gas,and explode when put on fire"
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 17:55
You should get the super sniper deal that's on right now.  That way you'll have two top-notch scopes to learn with.  One is the 1-6x and the other is 5-20x50.  I'm saving my pennies right now.  Check out the "check here often" thread.  The package deal is over $700 off of retail for both scopes.  Good luck, and welcome to OT.

Deck
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 17:55
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P50716.aspx
This scope was pretty much designed from the ground up for the roll you are describing. Tough as nails, and really good glass! Pluses are also a FFP reticle with matching mil turrets.

If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 17:58
I would look at low to mid range variable scopes.  The SWFA SS 1-6x, 3-9x could work and be under your budget.

Leupold makes a bunch in the tactical line that would work well for your wants.

Vortex makes a few in the Razor and Viper PST lines.

You could go with a good hunting scope like the Leica 2.5-10x.

US optics has the 1.5-6x models for around $1500.

Trijicon Acog or accupoint would fit well.

IOR makes a bunch of low to mid range variable scopes as well. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 18:11
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P50716.aspx
This scope was pretty much designed from the ground up for the roll you are describing. Tough as nails, and really good glass! Pluses are also a FFP reticle with matching mil turrets.

What a great choice, and you still have plenty of budget for ammo!
-Matt
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 19:23
the PST 2.5-10 might be a good home.
Dannyboy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 21:13
Great stuff guys.I will start checking these out,also what about illiuminated scopes? I may have a few more questions after I whittle these down a bit.  Thanks everyone.Excellent
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2012 at 09:29
Originally posted by DCAMM94 DCAMM94 wrote:

You should get the super sniper deal that's on right now.  That way you'll have two top-notch scopes to learn with.  One is the 1-6x and the other is 5-20x50.  I'm saving my pennies right now.  Check out the "check here often" thread.  The package deal is over $700 off of retail for both scopes.  Good luck, and welcome to OT.

Deck
Agreed, put both in quick detach and you can have anything you'll ever need covered, 1-6 for hunting, 5-20 for reaching out there and touching somthing.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2012 at 11:44
While the SS deal is very good, for that rifle and what you've mentioned you want it for, I'd just go with the 3-9. Generally, it's better to have the field of view than extra magnification. It takes a while and some effort to learn to shoot out at longer distances. Personally, I've found it better to learn to shoot at lower magnifications and make the conditions more challenging - smaller targets, shooting on really nasty, windy days.

In other words, you will become a better shooter going out on a few crappy, miserable days with a 20 mph crosswind and shooting to 300 yards with a good 3-9 than any 10 days with a 5-20 trying to shoot at 600 in golf course weather. (The exception, of course, is when zeroing!)
Reaction time is a factor...
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2012 at 12:20
I'll throw in another option. The IOR 2-12x36 Spartan has an illuminated reticle in the SFP.

It's purpose built for your task, and has great glass.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2012 at 16:40
I have an IOR 1.5-8x26 on my RR[ATH] & not only does it shoot great but it also looks fantastic with that 35mm tube.Just the right size for some serious bad as- kicking all out defensive & fun shooting Big Smile
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Dannyboy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2012 at 15:06
Thank you everyone.I will check on all of these.Yippee
m0sfet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m0sfet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 12:54
You don't need to spend that much. Get a SS10x42M tactical. It'll last longer than you :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic