OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver, SightMark, Konus or Millet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnab2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver, SightMark, Konus or Millet
    Posted: May/24/2012 at 13:18
I am looking at building a low budget gun for a buddy.  He can't swing the normal scopes that I would use in my builds.  He doesn't want to spend more than $350.  He like to magnify the hell out of his targets.  It will be used for long range shooting as well as hunting.  I was thinking of using one of the scopes below:

Konus 8.5-32x52 Konuspro M-30

Mueller 4.5-14x40 All Purpose Tactical 30mm

Millett 4-16x56 Buck Gold 30mm
Sightmark 8.5-25x50 Triple Duty 30mm

I even looked at the Vortex.  Theses are going on a 7mmMag.  I don't see him shooting over 600yrds but I would like to see him grow and stretch it out to 1000yrds.  I have not used any of these scope so I need input.

What are you takes on this?  
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 14:05
For that kind of money ... go fixed power.  On centerfire rifles ... especially mags ... going for variable power scopes under $700 is pretty much a waste of time.
"Magnify the hell out of it"

Magnification is a double edged sword ... and in low cost/low end scopes at those high mag powers ... it isn't pretty.  Cloudy and grey ... not fun.  Less magnification on better glass is worth it.

Any variable in the price point your looking at will have to be a set it and forget it hold over type as turrents on the $300 scopes aren't repeatable.

my 2 cents.

Edited by Sapper524 - May/24/2012 at 14:17
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 14:16
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
gnab2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnab2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 14:29
What about

http://swfa.com/Millett-4-16x50-TRS-1-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P42548.aspx

jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 14:29
weaver has a 3-10 mil/mil tactical scope. but not sure if it's still available. it's not on swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 14:33
That Millet scope sucks....IMO. I fooled with one and didn't like anything about it, other than the price.   
Get the fixed SS and call it a day. 

Your friend either needs to raise his budget, or lower his expectations. 

Respectfully. 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 14:36
Some suggestions -
Nikon 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster Riflescope Mil-Dot Nikon 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster Riflescope
Stock # - NIK6469
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Free Mil-Dot Master w/ Purchase (Mail-In Coupon)
$319.95 
Add Nikon 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

Vortex 4-12x40 Diamondback Rifle Scope Dead-Hold BDC Vortex 4-12x40 Diamondback Rifle Scope
Stock # - DBK412B
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
$299.95 
Add Vortex 4-12x40 Diamondback Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

Weaver 4-16x42 Classic V Rifle Scope Ballistic X Weaver 4-16x42 Classic V Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849407
  • Matte
  • Ballistic X
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
$336.95 
Add Weaver 4-16x42 Classic V Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
and if it were my money this would be what i think I'd get -
Sightron 4-16x42 SII Riflescope Plex Sightron 4-16x42 SII Riflescope
Stock # - SII416X42
  • Matte
  • Plex
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Target Knobs
$365.95 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 14:39
Missed the part about hunting. I'm having a crappy day.....

The variables SVT listed should be good to go. 
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 14:49
The Diamondback will do the trick.
-Matt
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 14:56
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

The Diamondback will do the trick.

I have a Diamondback and I totally agree. Usually on my AR but I slapped it on my. 308 and it worked great. Mine even tracks elevation wise pretty well so far.
Old Mil ftw
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 15:03
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Missed the part about hunting. I'm having a crappy day.....

The variables SVT listed should be good to go. 
Hugger  Better now?  or Kiss now? or Quickienow? Wink
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 15:15
+1 on the Millet being a POS ...

+1 on Raise the budget or lower expectations ...

Of what SVT listed the Vortex is the best option ... but if your friend really wants to push his 7mm to 1000 yards .... you need some real turrents.  $300 isn't gonna get it done.  Back to the fixed 10x we go.  But the fixed 10x has a narrow FOV for hunting ...

A do everything scope for $300 doesn't exist ...
gnab2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnab2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 15:26
I agree.  I think his best option will be to watch craigslist and ebay.  I think that he will be limited.  I may try to see if he can find a Falcon optics floating around.  We will see what will happen over the next couple of weeks on what he finds..
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 15:45
here is a better place to watch - http://www.samplelist.com/ViewProducts.aspx
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 15:49
Originally posted by gnab2 gnab2 wrote:

I may try to see if he can find a Falcon optics floating around. 

Falcon Menace
WOTAC
OSPREY
NC Star
etc
etc
etc

They seem great with all these cool features for such a SWEET price .... it IS to good to be true.  They are chinese junk ...

A fixed 10x with parallax adustment is the about the best compromise your gonna find for that money.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 16:13
I'll say this....I had the Buckmaster 4.5-14x that SVT listed and it doesn't have all the gee willackers, whiz bang, cool guy on the rifle range features on it, but that is a very good scope for the money. 

Mine was mounted on a .300 RUM and I TRIED to kick the guts out of that thing and couldn't. You could hunt with it too.  

(Shrug) 
gnab2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnab2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 16:20
I have a older Falcon on a .22cal Trainer and it tracks well but to take the punishment of the 7mm, I am not sure.  I think the MD Nikon will have to be the best option.  But he will learn to spend more to get what is needed. 

I agree with everyone on this that the budget is to low....
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 16:21
I missed the 1000 yard thing.

Wow, better start saving the pennies.  Every time you get two pennies, put one in a jar marked "Scope".  Then put the other in a jar marked "Ammo."

A SS 10x or 16x could get you to a thousand yards, but would be less than optimal for hunting. 
-Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 16:47
The only real knock on the Nikon is that it suffers from a lack of "up". Friend will need a 20 MOA rail to shoot to 1000, I'd wager. 
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 17:36
I have hunted with the 10x SS, it is do-able, at least here in AZ. Running shots under 100 yards are not common were I hunt. IMHO, high mag and cheap glass is usually ask for a headache. And high mag and cheap glass with a bunch of "tactical" wizz bang features, leads to a cussing-fit like a sailor with tourettes...

Edited by billyburl2 - May/25/2012 at 14:02
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic