OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Old Weaver with problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMC51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Weaver with problems
    Posted: May/23/2012 at 21:47
I'm back and I still have the same problem, I have been to three LGS and no one can get this Weaver mounted correctly. It is a Weaver V9-B 3x-9xAO. It is a El Paso Weaver pre 1984, so I'm told.

First question:
Is there anyone that can check/repair this old Weaver. It is in good shape, but no one can get it sited in. Is there a expert somewhere in the country that works on these?? Is there anyone in south florida?

Next question:
If no one can check/fix this Weaver, I need to find a replacement.

What I have is a 1958 Winchester M70 30-06 with Leupold 1" rings. What I need to find is a Leupold 1" 4-14x40, 6-20x40, something in that area. I want to shoot 500-900yds with this. I would like to stay under $700 if possible. Does anyone have knowledge of the Leupold line that would fit in this?

RMC51
Florida Keys
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 05:42
Well there is a company called ironsight that rebuilds old weavers but it will still be an weaver v-9 and for shooting at 900 yds there are better tools. For your stated use and budget there are a lot of options out there but you will probably be best served with a scope with either a mil-dot type reticle or a rangefinding reticle or target turrets. Look at the offerings for super sniper or one of the other name brands leupold , nikon, etc. It might be a good idea for you to visit some of the shooting areas you plan to shoot 900 yds and see what others are using and maybe they will let you look thru their scopes to get a feel for which you like best.
RMC51 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMC51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2012 at 18:07
Originally posted by powderburn powderburn wrote:

Well there is a company called ironsight that rebuilds old weavers but it will still be an weaver v-9 and for shooting at 900 yds there are better tools. For your stated use and budget there are a lot of options out there but you will probably be best served with a scope with either a mil-dot type reticle or a rangefinding reticle or target turrets. Look at the offerings for super sniper or one of the other name brands leupold , nikon, etc. It might be a good idea for you to visit some of the shooting areas you plan to shoot 900 yds and see what others are using and maybe they will let you look thru their scopes to get a feel for which you like best.
Powerbrun:
Thanks for the info, I spoke to Ironsights, cost was $90-100, I can live with that, but time was 9-10 months.

There is not much down here in the Keys. I have talked to as many as I have found, this is not a big shooting sport area.

Guys:

I have to take a new path on this thing.

Do you know of a scope that is calibrated for the 30-06? something about a 4-14x40 up to 6-20x44. 1" tube.

I'm putting it on to a Win M70 pre 64/30-06, it is a shooter not a safe queen. It has Leupold 1" rings on it.I 'm setting it up for the wild pigs, I'm going up north for a little piggy shoot.

Any ideas?

RMC51
Florida Keys
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2012 at 18:49
Originally posted by RMC51 RMC51 wrote:

I'm back and I still have the same problem, I have been to three LGS and no one can get this Weaver mounted correctly. It is a Weaver V9-B 3x-9xAO. It is a El Paso Weaver pre 1984, so I'm told.

First question:
Is there anyone that can check/repair this old Weaver. It is in good shape, but no one can get it sited in. Is there a expert somewhere in the country that works on these?? Is there anyone in south florida?

Next question:
If no one can check/fix this Weaver, I need to find a replacement.

What I have is a 1958 Winchester M70 30-06 with Leupold 1" rings. What I need to find is a Leupold 1" 4-14x40, 6-20x40, something in that area. I want to shoot 500-900yds with this. I would like to stay under $700 if possible. Does anyone have knowledge of the Leupold line that would fit in this?

Contact these guys... tell 'em I sent you.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2012 at 20:08
I had a burris fullfield 11 in 4.5x14 for awhile and it was a very nice scope for the $ invested. The only issue I had with it was it was a bit heavy but most of the larger scopes are too big for my liking. Everything else about the scope was great as far as I was concerned.The Burris with the ballistic reticle is $298 and the reticle should work for your 30-06.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2012 at 21:05
It sounds like an ideal job for a Weaver V16 or a Grand Slam.

Weaver 4-16x42 Classic V Rifle Scope Ballistic X Weaver 4-16x42 Classic V Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849407
  • Matte
  • Ballistic X
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
$336.95
Weaver 6-20x40 Grand Slam Rifle Scope Ballistic X Weaver 6-20x40 Grand Slam Rifle Scope
Stock # - 800478
  • Matte
  • Ballistic X
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Mail-In Buck Commander BlackTimber Hunting Pack Coupon
$409.95
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2012 at 11:33
 You posted it will not mount correctly. Are you sure that it is the scope and not the rings or that the  base may not be for your specific rifle. What is the problem in getting it to sight in. Is it not grouping, or is it not able to get on paper? If the rifle is a 1958 has the barrel been checked to be sure that it has not been shot out or damaged. I do not understand the problem you are experiencing.  What did the gunsmiths you took it to tell you was the problem. 3 of them should have been able to make some diagnosis.

The V 9-B was in production in 1969. I have one on a Marlin 336 Centennial. The V 9-B was a good  good sharp daylight scope in its day. Yet when compared to modern lens systems, The 45 years behind in advancements is a long long way behind when it comes to transmitting light to the eye. These old scopes were built more for set and forget, rather than repeatably dialing in a lot of corrections that would meet today's standards for a good long range scope.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
RMC51 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMC51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2012 at 17:08
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

You posted it will not mount correctly. Are you sure that it is the scope and not the rings or that the  base may not be for your specific rifle. What is the problem in getting it to sight in. Is it not grouping, or is it not able to get on paper? If the rifle is a 1958 has the barrel been checked to be sure that it has not been shot out or damaged. I do not understand the problem you are experiencing.  What did the gunsmiths you took it to tell you was the problem. 3 of them should have been able to make some diagnosis.

The V 9-B was in production in 1969. I have one on a Marlin 336 Centennial. The V 9-B was a good  good sharp daylight scope in its day. Yet when compared to modern lens systems, The 45 years behind in advancements is a long long way behind when it comes to transmitting light to the eye. These old scopes were built more for set and forget, rather than repeatably dialing in a lot of corrections that would meet today's standards for a good long range scope.

First LGS mounted the scope and bore sighted it. Took it out to the range 100yds. There were five people behind watching. No saw it hit, not even the back stop, it could still be going.

Took it to the second LGS, they remounted it and sighted it in, I picked it up and ran it to the same range. It was better but the crosshair was not at 12 o’clock it was at 10:30. The crosshair was not square with the rifle.

Took it to the third, a real gunsmith shop. They put on new Leupold mounts and rings and mounted the scope. The shop call and said it was ready. I got there to pick it up and on the invoice is a

Gunsmith Note: Your Scope is not correcting properly. We noticed some internal parts loose. This may impair proper mechanical and optical operation. We recommend UPGRADING your scope for a newer model. Good Hunting!

The gunsmith was not around when I was there to pick it up. I did not get a call from the gunsmith about this problem, just a call from the shop that it was done.

What do you think??
RMC51
Florida Keys
RMC51 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMC51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2012 at 18:04
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

[QUOTE=RMC51]

Contact these guys... tell 'em I sent you.
I talked to Larry today. I'm taking the scope off and will send it to him in the next couple days

Thanks for the info
RMC51
Florida Keys
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2012 at 17:25
If the cross-hair is not plumb You have a problem. This was the main issue with many scopes of this age because of the design. No way I would waste more money on that scope. Follow the gunsmiths recommendation and replace it. Any fix will only be temporary. Once the brass sleeve loses tension, it will get loose and rotate again. More likely sooner than later. 
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic