OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope ideas for newbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestPat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope ideas for newbie
    Posted: May/23/2012 at 21:44
I have no clue what I am doing, and all at 2800fps!
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2012 at 23:56
for what?
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 17:17
Welcome to the OT!

We need just a little more info Get Your Popcorn Ready
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
WestPat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestPat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 19:55
Okay,
Forgive me!  Thought I could post from my android phone but for some reason it just ended up being blank.  That did not help my tag line at all!Big Grin

Soon be the owner of a Savage 112BT Competition rifle in .308.
Need a scope for it.  Has 30mm mount and tall rings.
Talked to Skyler today at SWFA and he gave me some ideas.
I have always shot/hunted at less than 70yds or so.  Looking to become proficient in paper punching out to 300yds or so.  Most shooting will occur under 100 though.{----That is the only reason that I am not considering a Super Sniper! Convince me otherwise!

Here are the candidates:
Max my budget out in order of cost, also above my current skill level
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 or PST 2.5-10

Sightron Big Sky SII 4-16x42

Minox ZA5 4-20x50

In my budget and leaving money for ammo/reloading supplies/bipod etc...
Vortex Crossfire 8-32x50 Closeout

Mueller Target dot 8-32x44

Millet LRS mil mil LRS 6-25x56

Nikon ProStaff or Buckmaster with BDC reticle

Lastly...
The gun has a 4-14x56 Springfield FFP First Gen scope on it
They want $325 for it.  Image is better than Leupold VariX III or Nikon Prostaff, but man is this scope a mixed bag on the internet

Leupold VariXIII 4.5-14x50 Duplex reticle used for ~$299
Had a very dirty objective lens so probably did not get the best picture.  Would it still be covered by Leupold if anything was wrong with it?

I like higher magnification but usually operate in the 10-12 power range, so that is why I am not quite sold on 3-9power.

I have been lurking here for a while and have learned a lot.  Please help me learn more and make an informed decision.  Hopefully the DLOO might even chime in.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 21:10
Why dont you look at the Super Sniper series of scopes and consider the fixed power Mil Quad reticle with tenth mil clicks that will be coming out in the next couple of months.  or snag one of the 3-9 s

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
WestPat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestPat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2012 at 21:32
I have been looking at those.  Since most of my shooting will be under 100yds I am worried that the 12x or 16x that I would be partial too would make it to hard to see.  Also would the SS fixed scopes be able to focus under 50yds?  They are definitely a top choice, but I dont fully understand how fixed would effect my fun plinking sessions in the back yard.
Thanks,
David

Also,
3-9 is great and great price, but I would want to have higher mag than that.  I have no point of reference for 3-9 out to 300 yds, but I would think the bullseye would be hard to see.  Please help me understand.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2012 at 09:21
The 12X would be a great fit, even 16X.  I think you'll be fine at 100yds with it, if you plan on hunting with it that a different story but for paper punching, you wont have any problems at all.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2012 at 16:55
I own the Minox of which you speek & I think it's a fine scope for what you are planning to shoot.I use it on one of my .22lr rifles,it's great that I can shoot down to as little as 15yrds & out to 150yrds.

I have several SS & you can't go wrong with any of those either.If you can wait they are comming out with a 1-6x24 very soon & it might just be your ticket for 100 yd shooting.They are have a group buy right now & will save some good coin also.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic