OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Advice for long range 300 RUM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muelrexp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Advice for long range 300 RUM
    Posted: May/20/2012 at 22:13
Gentlemen, I have recently purchased a 300 RUM to do some longer range shooting at our ranch in South Texas.  We have one place on the ranch with a clear line of sight for 1600 yards with lots of deer, Javelina and some hogs.  I am interested in a mil/mil variable power scope that doesn't weigh too much as we also stalk hunt, but one that allows me to take a 1500 yard shot when the opportunity arises.  I am reloading and am interested in an FFP scope with 6x or less on the low end and 20X or better on the high end with a budget of under $1000 that is good in low light conditions.  I also plan on doing some elk/mule deer hunting and this one rifle should be able to handle it all.

Thanks for your help,

Muelrexp
Glorify God
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2012 at 23:17
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-5-20x50-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P51653.aspx
On group buy price right now for $1049. Optics are the best around, priced under $2000! I run a Illuminated model on my 300wsm. Great glass, awesome turrets, great reticle!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2012 at 10:39
+1 SWFA -SS-5-20x50.Not to many Mil-Mil around in that price range.You can't go wrong with a SS.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2012 at 11:51
Hard to beat the SS5-20, especially given your "needs" and your budget.

There is no sub-$1000 scope that will do what you ask and do it well.

Personally, I'd recommend holding out a bit longer and getting the illuminated version (I too hunt south texas, and illumination on hogs is invaluable.)

Get good, strong mounts too, your choice in rifles will generate some recoil.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2012 at 14:34
Vortex PST 6-24x50. On a 20 MOA base should work.

But the SS would be first choice.
Old Mil ftw
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2012 at 16:34
+3 or is 4? Any way on the SS 5-20. I think this would be an excellent chioce, a little higher than how much you were wanting to spend, but there is the current Facebook special for $1049.95.

I also agree with Rancid, on also getting some strong mounts Like Aadmounts or Seekins.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2012 at 20:41
Excellent

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
muelrexp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muelrexp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2012 at 23:39
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the advice.  How do I participate in a group buy on the SS 5 x 20 x 50 ill. mil/mil scope?

Muelrexp
Glorify God
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2012 at 08:20
its over, on just the 5-20. i think the grouop buy is on for the 1-6/5-20 combo for 1600. you could get it and sell the 1-6 for 600 pretty quick. otherwise the PST is pretty much your only other option for FFP under 1k
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2012 at 08:42
If FFP is not mandatory go with the Sightron S-III 6-24 with the MIL reticle.

Just curious, how have you been shooting these distances consistently?
What kind of rest set-up or shooting platform do you have?
Bullet choice?
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
muelrexp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muelrexp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2012 at 23:00
I used to reload and hunt heavily, then marriage and children and now the children are old enough to participate with me.  Reloading again 130 grain Barnes TSX, Remington 700 base, McMillian stock, muzzle break, using a lead sled type of bench rest, been shooting since I was six and like to have different goals to keep it interesting. 
Glorify God
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2012 at 23:55
That is an incredibly light bullet (not a good BC) for extreme distances.
Even with  .392 BC [Best BC I could find for a Barnes 130 grain] @ 4100 fps (guessing here) you have 6.5 MOA (69" of wind) at 1K with a 10mph FV wind.
At 1600 yards 14.0 MOA of wind adjustment is required (232.7") with a 10MPH FV wind.
A constant 1 mph full value wind change at 1600 moves the bullet 23.3 inches.
I am a proponent of LR hunting and LR shooting.
I do not encourage you to use this bullet for hunting at this distance. 
For first shot connections it is not about how little the bullet drops. 
That can be a known constant given the fact you have the ability to correct for atmospheric changes and angle.
At these distances it is all about a high BC, that still has enough impact velocity to do its job.
IF you & your rifle is capable of constant 3-shot groups measuring .250 (1/4") when you are shooting from a field position, then your group at 1500 yards.
IF everything is perfect and you can shoot as tight of an MOA group as you can at 100 yards-which no one does consistently with a hunting rifle in field conditions. 
Using Shooter's MOA a 1MOA group at 1500 yards is a 15" group, 1/2 MOA is 7" group, and 1/4 MOA group would be 3.5" group.
I would like to see someone with a hunting rifle do that even on a semi-regular basis.
Add to that a puff of wind that you cannot discern downrange will change your impact radically @ 1500 and a head or tail wind will do enough to make you think you ranged it wrong.
I'm all for shooting at distance.
But game at these extreme distances, I would urge you to reconsider, especially with the set-up your are talking about.
Use better bullets.
As far as loading I would go into an extreme BR prep, checking bullet and neck runouts, case weight, uniforming in every way as the BR boys do. 
Basically, build a 1-mile comp rifle, then see what you can do.
Not trying to beat you up.  I just don't think the rifle/load you are considering is going to do what you want it to.

Checked Barnes reload data and they give 3724 fps for the 130 with a BC of .340
With this data at 1000 feet alt, with a 1mph constant crosswind at 1000 yards your bullet moves 9.8" or 10 inches in essence.
If you can hold 1/4MOA groups at 1K 2.5" group, and you miss-call the wind by only 1mph you will be shooting 10" to the right or left.
At 1600 yards a 1mph miscalculation is 31.8 inches

Originally posted by muelrexp muelrexp wrote:

I used to reload and hunt heavily, then marriage and children and now the children are old enough to participate with me.  Reloading again 130 grain Barnes TSX, Remington 700 base, McMillian stock, muzzle break, using a lead sled type of bench rest, been shooting since I was six and like to have different goals to keep it interesting. 
Ernie

muelrexp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muelrexp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2012 at 00:57
What weight/brand bullet do to reccomend with a higher BC so there is not such a dramatic shift should my estimate of the wind not be correct?

Thanks,

Muelrexp
Glorify God
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2012 at 01:31
I am not sure what your twist rate is, but since you are intending to be able to kill an animal at extreme distances, I would likely go with an A-Max since it will open up at lower impact velocities than some of the other high BC bullets.
With bullets you cannot have your cake and eat it too.
Each bullet has a velocity window where it will work best.
The Barnes (not sure of their minimum impact velocity) Nosler Accubond, and Berger VLD's minimum is right at 1800 fps.  I would think Barnes would be about the same.

Hornady makes a 168 (.475 BC), 178 (.495 BC) and 208 grain (.648 BC) bullets

A 300 Rum that has a barrel that will stabilize the 208 grain A-Max should run around 2940 fps (guesstimate) with 1000 feet elev.
At 1000 yards a 1mph full-value wind move the bullet 5.6 inches.  Big difference, right?
Impact velocity of 1715 fps. 
14.6 inches with a 1mph wind change at 1500 yards (impact velocity is 1273 fps).  Really slow, but still almost 300 fps faster than the Barnes was at the same distance.

The 130 grain Barnes in my earlier post was at 1800 fps impact velocity at around 750 yards.

Berger makes their hunting bullets in 190 grain (.570) and 210 grain (.631) BC's.
They recommend 1800 fps as their minimum impact velocity. 
Which would be around just over 900 yards with the 210 Berger, if it had the same MV as the Hornady 208 A-Max.
So for extreme distance at game like deer, I would choose the A-Max over the Berger.

The A-Max is more of a fragile bullet compared to the Berger. 
I like and use both for shooting and hunting big game, but I don't attempt and never intend to take game at the distances your are considering.
IF I was considering 1500 yards for hunting, I would be in a Chey-Tac or Chey-Tac Improved cartridge in either 338 or 375.

And yes, it would be a rifle and not one of the my specialty handguns that I typically use.
Although I do have rear-grip specialty handgun in 375 Snipe-Tac - Thank you very much!Big Grin

My longest big game kill was a buck antelope with a 7mm 162 A-Max @ 1037 yards-Worked great!

Unless you have shot regularly at paper or steel at distances beyond 1200 yards to 1 mile, I really think you are in for a surprise.

IF you are convinced you can make a killing shot with your first shot (after proving to yourself in practice from your field shooting position at "XYZ" distance) at "XYZ" yards, pull the trigger.
IF you have doubts about your ability to make a lethal shot on that animal, keep the safety on and get closer.
Ernie

billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2012 at 07:49
With the capacity of the RUM, I would definitely look into bullet weights a lot heavier than 130 gr. Those listed by Ernie are good, you may also look into the 200gr Sierra game kings. 1500yards is a pretty long poke, especially at a moving target. If you that is really your goal, all I can say is practice! And buy some really good optics...And not just a rifle scope. It is going to take a really good set binoculars, and a spotting scope to resolve a deer at the ranges you are talking about...

If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2012 at 09:02
Ernie,you never cease to amaze me 1037 yd. kill, OUTSTANDING ExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2012 at 09:18
Thanks!  Can't let the rifle boys get to far ahead of meBig Grin
My Tahoe is circled.  XP-100 Center-Grip chambered in 7mm WSM

Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

Ernie,you never cease to amaze me 1037 yd. kill, OUTSTANDING ExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellent
Ernie

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2012 at 15:31
Unless you have markers every 50 yards listing distance, you are going to need a great rangefinder for distances to 1600 yards. 
And even if you have it listed the depth perception is not nearly as easy as it seems that fart away.
This knocks out the Swaro, Leica, and G7.
You are now running with the Vectronix class of LRF's.
You will also need a good spotting scope with someone one it who can convey to to you in terms you and your optic understands.  You mentioned MIL.
Ideally, you need a spotting scope with a MIL reticle or your spotter needs a good rifle scope (MIL reticle) to where he/she can call correction with it.
You will also want a goo tripod for your spotting scope and another one for your LRF (to ensure accurate readings).
This is not a cheap endeavor your are considering.
Ernie

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2012 at 15:33
Originally posted by Ernie Bishop Ernie Bishop wrote:

Unless you have markers every 50 yards listing distance, you are going to need a great rangefinder for distances to 1600 yards. 
And even if you have it listed the depth perception is not nearly as easy as it seems that fart away.
This knocks out the Swaro, Leica, and G7.
You are now running with the Vectronix class of LRF's.
You will also need a good spotting scope with someone one it who can convey to to you in terms you and your optic understands.  You mentioned MIL.
Ideally, you need a spotting scope with a MIL reticle or your spotter needs a good rifle scope (MIL reticle) to where he/she can call correction with it.
You will also want a goo tripod for your spotting scope and another one for your LRF (to ensure accurate readings).
This is not a cheap endeavor your are considering.

Was that a Freudian slip, Ernie???
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2012 at 15:35
Oops!  YES!!!
I guess I should do a better job of checking my posts.
Glad I didn't do that in my church bulletin article this week.
Oh, maybe I did....................................................Loco
Ernie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic