OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Redfield Revenge or Nikon Prostaff?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acetoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Redfield Revenge or Nikon Prostaff?
    Posted: May/19/2012 at 11:20
Hi all,

I just got a Ruger American in .308 as my 1st bolt action hunting rifle. I initially wanted to purchase a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40mm BDC for it but it got backordered. I currently am on the list for one when they start shipping hopefully by the end of May. Ive been looking around for alternatives and found the Redfield Revenge 4-12x42 Accu-ranger Hunter for the same price. So I started to compare the 2 but can't decide on my own which I should get.

Here's the specs I found for comparison:
  ProStaff 4-12x40mm Revenge 4-12x42mm
Price $219.99 $219.99
Eye Relief (in.)     3.7 >     3.5
FOV @100 yds (ft.)                 23.6 - 7.3       < 24.6 - 7.9
Exit Pupil(mm.)                       10.3 - 3.3 < 11.1 - 3.5
User Reviews                          4-5 stars                          >                         none
    (on most websites)
Reticle                                        BDC < Accu-ranger Hunter
(for its target distance locator)

I'm kinda leaning toward the Redfield at this point. The ability to gauge target distance is a plus for me as I am just beginning to hunt. But my major concern is that there isn't many reviews on it on any forum ( i tend to not take gun magazines reviews too seriously as they seem to like everything). I am also not certain of the image clarity and reliability of the Revenge scopes, while Nikon has been tried, proven and recommended by most.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have till the last week of May probably to change my order. So, what do you guys suggest? The tried and proven, better eye-relief Nikon or the newer-tech, better-ranged, but untested Redfield?
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2012 at 13:42
Just because the Redfield is associated with Leupold, I'd lean that way. On paper the two are quite similar. I don't much like BDC reticles, and I've not been too enthralled with Nikon in the past.  Hippie
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Acetoda View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acetoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2012 at 15:35
Yes I read that  Redfield were affiliated with Leupold, and that the Revolutions were of pretty good quality. Thing is the Revenge series are being assembled in the Philippines, so they might be a difference in quality (Nothing against the country). 

I was wondering if anyone has used this on their rifle and could chime in, better yet if anyone has compared the 2 in the field. I've looked through the prostaffs on a Savage Axis combo at a local shop they seem to be nice. I have just heard of the Revenge scopes this week and have not actually seen one in person.
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2012 at 17:27
My brother has a redfield on 700 adl .243 and I own a couple prostaff's.

They are pretty close but the prostaff is a little brighter and clear in low light on a rainy day.

Can anyone actually confirm where Leupold is having the Redfield made because I've heard USA, China, etc?

Leupold is well known for taking care of their customers, but Nikon has always treated me right too.

jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2012 at 17:48
if you're dead set on one of the two, then i'd go redfield. simply because nikons CS sucks, leupold is kinda slow, but they get the job done.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2012 at 20:54
This might be an interesting read, but it is on 3-9 scopes and not the 4-12 you are asking about. The individual that does the reviews is very knowledgeable.

http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29:qinexpensive-scopeq-comparison&catid=4:rifle-scope-reviews&Itemid=4 
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2012 at 08:37
I own the nikon and to be honest I HATE the bdc reticle. It is ok when shooting at the range but in hunting situation it is WAY to busy. I have pulled up on rutting bucks on the move and my eyes just dont care for it. Other then that it is a descent hunting scope as far as clarity and brightness. If your hunting consists point blank to 300 yards I recommend a simple duplex which nikon does offer. Load some 155 grain burger lvd hunters and it will shoot fairly flat so bdc ret isnt really nessisary unless you plan to stretch your range beyond 300yrds. If you dont reload try hornady superformance for a flat shooting load. I have not looked through the new RF revenge but would bet it is very close in qualty as the nikon prostaff. So it is a toss up as far as optical quality? The nikon's turrents reset to zero which is a + but the turrent caps are plastic which is kind of cheeze ball. If you whacked then on somthing it could suffer more damage then a solid metal cap. This is all little stuff but hope it helps. Good luck and post a pic of your rig when it is complete!

Dont take yourself to seriously
Acetoda View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acetoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2012 at 01:58
Thanks all for input. I did read through that article on opticthoughts, but the only other scope in my price range aside from the Nikon and Redfield in 4-12x is the Vortex. I saw its specs and my concern is its eye relief is 3.4-3.1 in, around half and inch or so than the other two. The Ruger is 6.1 lbs, and on .308, I didn't wanna risk getting a black eye from the scope on recoil. Even if the FOV is loads better, I'll still need a good eye to use it Smile

I was able to look at a Revenge 4-12x plex and a Prostaff 4-12x plex at a local shop earlier today, and surprisingly to my eyes, the Redfield's image was a little clearer and brighter than the Nikon on min/max magnification from indoors and when I looked out through the shop's window to the outside. Light transmission on the Redfield isn't listed on its specs, I was assuming they would be the same with the Nikon at 92% cause of their price. Could it actually be more than the Nikon? 

Reliablity on the Redfield is still unknown to me but despite that, I may go with that and cancel the Prostaff order. If Leupold's CS is that good, I shouldn't have a problem using their warranty just in case something goes wrong, right?

BTW, EAGLE : the Redfield Revenge is made in the Philippines, it's engraved on the bottom of the scope Big Grin
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2012 at 08:36
Leupold will take care of you if the Revolution has issues. Good luck...I'm sure it will be fine. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
zlman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zlman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2012 at 22:33
Can't comment on glass between the two because I've never handled a Revenge but I've owned two Nikons with the bdc (Buckmaster and a Monarch). Sold them both because of the bdc, the thickness of the lines forming the bdc circles was very distracting. I'll be picking up a 6-18 revenge when my gun shop gets some in stock.
Acetoda View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acetoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2012 at 09:26

So I just received the Revenge scope yesterday along with the free cheek pad from Ruger. Got both attached and I LIKE what I see. Here's some pics I took just this morning:

The scope came with lens covers on, which are pretty nice and seems durable enough to last a while. I believe the Prostaff wouldn't have come with covers so this was a pleasant surprize.
Here's one on my headrest: 

The Redfield Revenge scope in my opinion looks great on my RAR. Really matches the look of the rifle. 

I heard the Revolution's turret caps were plastic and flimsy. Redfield put nice metal caps on the Revenge, so thats a step up. The turrets make good solid clicks when turned , and are marked on which way to turn for where you need to adjust. Seems sturdy and feels nice:

Here's some pics of the reticle. I had the flash on for the 1st pic to show the crosshairs clearer. Th 2nd pic got blurry but still shows the reticle looking through the glass:

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it got together. I'm skeptical on how accurate the reticle is for measuring target distance and bdc adjustments. I'll need to bring it our to the range to test it out. I think if this lasts and the accuranger reticle is really accurate, this will be on my Ruger American for the life of the rifle.

Thanks to all for the advice. So far, I'm real glad I went with the Revenge rather than the Prostaff.
Acetoda View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acetoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2012 at 09:31
BTW, here's the proof where the Revenge scopes are made at:

ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2012 at 15:15
Looks good.Thunbs Up
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2012 at 15:52
Glad you're happy with the purchase and thanks for the pic.

Eagle
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 19:00
That looks like a true middle class working man set up Big Grin I would have set it up identically 

I think you made a good choices with the rifle and the accessories. Best all around bang for your buck! Tks for the pics. Try 150 gr hornady btsp custom loads. I shot half inch groups this past weekend with them out of my rem sps tac. I was impressed with them for off the shelf ammo. 
Dont take yourself to seriously
mark olindale View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark olindale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 19:11
Very nice. I think you made an excellent choice with that scope!
zlman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 19:45
"I think if this lasts and the accuranger reticle is really accurate, this will be on my Ruger American for the life of the rifle."

^  Haha. Don't believe that for a minute. Rifles and optics are a sickness, you'll upgrade way sooner than you planned. I do like this scope and searched for one this past weekend, no luck locally so I'll have to hold  out awhile longer.
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 20:53
Just curious what your use for the set-up will be.
Read a feature on the new Ruger in this months American Rifleman and it described it's unique bedding system. Looks promising.
Now we need a shooting report!
Acetoda View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acetoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2012 at 20:04
jselsor: I will remember to look for those for the range shoot. Lately, there's been a shortage of 308s here in Cali. Likely due to the coming elections and/or the 2012 Mayan prediction.Smile

Mark Olindale: Thanks! Hopefully the Redfield performs as expected :fingerscrossed:

zlman: it is a sickness, and this is just the beginning. Big Grin There will be more rifles and scopes for me down the road for sure. I'm just saying if the Redfield performs to expectations, I won't be inclined to buy another scope for the Ruger. Will more likely save up for a more upscale rifle, and thus a more upscale scope.

WYcoyote: 3 things actually...

1. Me and some buddies are planning to start some a couple hunting trips up in Northern California. Deer/boar hunting primarily...

2. One of the outdoor ranges is holding a sniper training course, and participants should have a scoped rifle in at least 308 caliber. Thinking of joining later in the year.

3. I've attended a couple of Appleseed shoots, and I wanted to see how effective their techniques are for higher caliber rifles. (Most likely they are, just wanted to experience it for myself)

Once I try this baby out on the range I'll post pics on how it did Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic