OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Weaver Tactical 3-15 vs. Vortex Viper PST 4-16 FFP
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver Tactical 3-15 vs. Vortex Viper PST 4-16 FFP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver Tactical 3-15 vs. Vortex Viper PST 4-16 FFP
    Posted: May/18/2012 at 12:22
Is there a $150 difference between the two?  I'm looking for something to go on top of a 700 in 300 WM that will let me shoot longer shots.  Thanks.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2012 at 16:47
D-

Both are great scopes, But I really like what Weaver has done with this new 3-15. They built the scope correctly with the characteristics that alot of shooters are looking for. They are definetly going to give the PST a good fight.

Personally I would use the Weaver 3-15 with the EMDR.  
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2012 at 18:20
Two questions then: (1) does The "reset to zero turrets" mean zero stop, or is it like the resettable zero on the viper HS? (2) how does the glass compare? Thanks Skylar.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2012 at 18:35
I would not pass up this opportunity on the SS while you can get the discount.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2012 at 18:36
No, Weaver does not have Zero stop, but the resettable turrets are great. One you have found your true zero, you take the supplied allen wrench, loosen the turret dial, lift straight off, twist to zero and tighten back down.

The PST does, well Vortex calls it a stop. What they did was once you have found your zero, they have shims that you place under the turret. This will prevent you from going too far past zero. Not quite like, Nightforce or Leatherwood's CMR, but a good system.

The HS is a spring loaded resettable turret. Take the cap off, zero, lift twist, and let back down. On the 4-16 v 3-15 is very comparable.

If it were 3-15 to the 6-24 PST, I would say Weaver, but these are both very close. I am a Vortex proponent, but Weaver hit a home run with this. 
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2012 at 18:38
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I would not pass up this opportunity on the SS while you can get the discount.

Great point, but I didn't want to get off topic. This would be my first suggestion. YippeeYippeeYippee
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2012 at 18:46
I wish I could get the SS, but the end result would likely be a divorce if I did it right now. If the deal would extend thru July, it might work. Maybe I can end up with two if SWFA doesnt hit 10,000 until mid-June. That deal is crazy.
6.5x47 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6.5x47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2012 at 22:19
The emdr reticle is really the only downfall to the weaver 3-15.  It doesn't have 1/2 mil marks between the  center crosshair and the first mil in any direction.  It may as well be a plain jane mildot, because the majority of my wind holds are between 0-1.0 mils.  Other than the reticle, the weaver offers alot for the money.  I have no experience with the pst, so I can't comment on that.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic