OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

better 1k hunting scope than z3 4-12x50?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: better 1k hunting scope than z3 4-12x50?
    Posted: May/14/2012 at 14:51
I'm looking at a Swaro Z3 4-12x50 with the ballistic turret and am wondering if there are any other scopes in this price range, with similar top-end mag's that I should be considering?

the minox za-5 2-12 and 3-15x50 come to mind, as well as the new Leupy VX-6 2-12... what others am i overlooking?  I'd like to compile a list so I can (hopefully) track them down for a hands-on viewing.

for reference: general hunting on a 7mm rem mag, both wooded and open, rolling hills, shots from 25-300 yards.  I have no reticle preference, but don't really need illumination, and I really like Swaro's BT system, but am open to ranging or bdc type reticles as well.

Edited by Dyelynn - May/14/2012 at 16:42
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 14:58
I've been using a 7mag since 1975.  Why do you feel the need for ballistic turrets when your stated max range is 300 yds?  A Conquest, FX3, or VX3 will all work  and do all you ever need to do.  
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 15:11
at the moment i have a vortex 2-7x32 on it.... i like the glass and the eyebox much better on that vortex than on the 2 redfield 3-9x40's i have (same glass as the vx-1 i think?), but i'd like more mag on the top end than either the x7 or the x9 have to offer... and i really don't like the 4.5-14 range that both the vx3 and the conquest offer.  also, for the price of the 4.5-14 conquests or vx-3, i think i get a whole lot more scope for the additional ~2-300$ stepping up to the Swaro.

while i expect i'll very rarely, if ever, shoot at something beyond 300yards, i would very much like to be able to, with confidence in my equipment, if the need arises.  there's a story from a few years ago about a ~500 yard shot on an elk... that's far from the norm where we hunt, but it is possible.

spinning the dial on the swaro BT to a specific color representing 100 yard intervals is very simple and very appealing... compared to zeiss' calculator for their rapid-z reticles it's much simpler.  i've heard good things about the nikon bdc as well.

twice last year my scope failed me... in failing light i couldn't make out the spikes on a deer, so didn't shoot... and also in failing light, i wasn't able to accurately count the points on an elk.  obviously just having a larger objective would help with both those examples, given the failing light aspect, but i'd also like more magnification.

and, lastly... i want a better scope :p  while i'd love to step up to the big boys, the only thing i can safely afford in the near future is the entry level alphas and the z3's i've handled were beautiful.  I just wondered if there's something else i should consider in this price range, for these applications that i haven't so far considered.

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 15:32
Zeiss Conquest Duralyt 2-8x42 without the illum will get you in at $999.95.You might also keep an eye on the SWFA  Sample List,you can get some great deals there.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 15:36
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

Zeiss Conquest Duralyt 2-8x42 without the illum will get you in at $999.95.You might also keep an eye on the SWFA  Sample List,you can get some great deals there.

i do watch the sample-list, and there's a z3 4-12x50 with BT there that i've been eyeballing. 

i'm sure that 2-8 would be a great scope, but as i said, i do want a little more mag on the upper end.. i understand that a better scope with less magnification might well be more clear at top mags, but something around 12x on the top is what i'm interested in.

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 15:47
I run a 280 AI which is very similiar to a 7mag

I ran a Zeiss FL 4-16x50 with AVS turret last season
worked great!

This year i will be using a VX-6 2-12 with illuminated LR duplex

running a 140 Accubond at 3100 FPS and a 300 yard zero the dots below the center crosshair are spot on for 4 and 500 yards

I have compared it against my Accupoint 3-9 and the above Zeiss
it sits betwwen the two for glass and frankly is closer to the Zeiss

they did a great job on it
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 18:43
I think you would be very happy with the Z3.  May I recommend the BRH version rather than the dial version however?  The reticle is subtended in mils at max power, and it is easy to dope your drops.

I think you would be very happy with the Z3.

BTW,  I fully agree that the Reticle or Dial are not needed for 300 yard shooting with that caliber.  It wouldn't hurt if you wanted to play around shooting longer ranges, though.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic