OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Topic ClosedSwap Conquest for a VX-2?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swap Conquest for a VX-2?
    Posted: May/13/2012 at 13:49
I have a 3-9x40 Conquest on a Savage 16 .260 Rem. I drew a Wyoming sheep tag and am considering using this combo. I have the tapered point of the plex reticle spot on at 400 yds.
I am considering changing to a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 with CDS to give me dial up elevation and to cut weight almost 4 ounces.
Is this worth it or not?
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2012 at 15:26
You can send it to Zeiss for a turret change then get some Kenton turrets fir it.  At least that's what I've been told...
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2012 at 16:00
Four ounces isn't a lot. You could make that up in other areas pretty quick.

I would not swap. Brodeur's idea would work just fine, and give you a nicer scope than the other two options. You could always just make yourself a chart and use the existing turret as well.
-Matt
odin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2012 at 23:40

Zeiss for a Leupold VX-2 brother you'd be on the losing end of that one, if I had a VX-2 I'd trade you in without question. The Conquest is far superior to the VX-2 in fact it is more comparable to a VX-3 and IMO is better glass than the VX-3 purely my opinion but take it for what it's worth. I have looked through both scopes and even with the new coatings they are great but fall far short of a Zeiss. My advice to you is take the time to find a store that sales a VX-2 near you take your Zeiss with you and do a side by side comparison. I believe you will decide 4 ounces is not worth the quality of glass you would be losing and opt to get the Kenton turrets. When it comes to scopes seeing is always believing!

I'm not surrounded. I'm in the middle of a target rich environment!
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 19:42
Yeah, I'm in agreement with the others.  Conquest for a VX-2 is like trading my Swarovski PH for a VX-3.  The VX-3 isn't a bad scope, but the PH is much better.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 22:07
I have a conquest and would NOT trade for a vx2 now for a vx3, yes. For a sheep hunt 4oz savings is worth the difference in the "glass" if there is any. My eyes can not tell any difference in the glass between a conquest and a vx3 never looked through a vx2 much so can't say. The CDS system is a great system. IMO

Edit: 4oz savings(especially on the rifle) is huge for me may not be for someone else.

Edited by rustic - May/14/2012 at 23:06
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 22:21
rustic,

If you are that worried about four ounces just visit the trailhead outhouse before you hit the trail.

WYcoyote,

The single biggest problem with the current Leupold VX-2 and VX-3 scopes is the variable eye relief.  This is important in that you have to change your cheek weld with magnification changes.  Consistency is the key to accuracy.  The Conquest I had did not have that problem.
-Matt
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2012 at 05:51
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

The single biggest problem with the current Leupold VX-2 and VX-3 scopes is the variable eye relief.  This is important in that you have to change your cheek weld with magnification changes. 

Yep.  MAIN reason my 1.75-6 went down the road.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2012 at 22:20
No! No! No! keep the Zeiss and find a way to shed the 4 OZ - possibly lighter boots or whatever.

With a flat trajectory rifle and realistic hunting ranges the Zeiss with its superior optics, great durability, and constant eye relief should work just fine.

There is a difference between Zeiss Conquest optics and Leupold VX3.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2012 at 08:53
Originally posted by Stevey Ducks Stevey Ducks wrote:

Very little, if any.  I own both. 
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2012 at 09:50

No! No! No! keep the Zeiss and find a way to shed the 4 OZ - possibly lighter boots or whatever.

With a flat trajectory rifle and realistic hunting ranges the Zeiss with its superior optics, great durability, and constant eye relief should work just fine.

Excellent Agreed 100%
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2012 at 09:52
Originally posted by brodeur272 brodeur272 wrote:

You can send it to Zeiss for a turret change then get some Kenton turrets fir it.  At least that's what I've been told...
http://www.kentonindustries.com/pics/ttctypes/
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2012 at 10:00
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Very little, if any.  I own both. 
I have both too, and to my eyes the Conquest is way ahead of the VX3.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2012 at 10:14
Yes one can send a scope to Zeiss for addition of a target tactical knob but the down side is the wait so I think it better to trade up to the 4.5-14x44 Rapid Z800 at SWFA.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2012 at 10:42
Originally posted by Chris Farris II Chris Farris II wrote:

Excellent Agreed 100%

+1
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2012 at 13:50
+2 Yippee
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2012 at 18:20
The reason for me wanting to use my Savage 16 is that while not a dedicated lightweight it is a trim 6.9 pounds.  A scope like the 4.5-14x44 Conquest at 17.5 ounces will defeat what I'm trying to accomplish. The 3-9x40 is as big as I want to go.
I have a Savage 25" barreled 6.5-.284 with a Nitrex 3-15x50 and a M70 Win in .300 WM with a 3-9x40 VX-R with CDS, which are both great long range rifles but they both weigh in at around 10 lbs. scoped.
While a few extra ounces or pounds doesn't sound like much while we are sitting in a nice chair pecking at our keyboards now, I'm thinking that cutting that off the rifle dangling on your shoulder when climbing the shale slides at 10-11,000 ft. would be a good idea.
With these heavier rifles I have become a fan of dial up elevation for longer range shooting, and to tell the truth I kind of detest some of the busier multi-stadia reticles, the Burris Ballistic Plex is about the only one I can stomach.
By switching to the VX-2 with CDS I figured I could gain dial elevation and loose some weight at the same time, but I also knew I'd take a hit optically. I thought maybe the newer Leupold might be fairly close to the Conquest, you guys have talked me out of that.
Right now I have the little .260 figured out pretty good to 500 yds, with 400 being nearly a slam dunk.
I kind off like Matt's idea of just using the existing turret, might play with that a little.
Where I will be hunting is known for being notoriously windy, and maybe that should be all the farther I need to be shooting anyway.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2012 at 19:14
Sounds to me like you need a good set of open sights.   I suppose the 3-9 with the balistic reticle is out of the question also at  15 oz.  HMM   15 oz for a 3-9 vs 17.5 for a 4.5-14 yea why would you want to carry an extra 2.5 oz to have 5x more on the high end and a balistic reticle that would take you to 800 yds I can sure see your point there 2.5oz  boy thats a lot, Why dont you take a drill and cut 2.5 oz out of the stock then you could add the scope and not have it feel so heavy.
Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope Rapid Z 600 Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - ZEI5214609971
  • Matte
  • Rapid Z 600
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
$569.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - May/23/2012 at 19:22

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2012 at 19:57
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Sounds to me like you need a good set of open sights.   I suppose the 3-9 with the balistic reticle is out of the question also at  15 oz.  HMM   15 oz for a 3-9 vs 17.5 for a 4.5-14 yea why would you want to carry an extra 2.5 oz to have 5x more on the high end and a balistic reticle that would take you to 800 yds I can sure see your point there 2.5oz  boy thats a lot, Why dont you take a drill and cut 2.5 oz out of the stock then you could add the scope and not have it feel so heavy.

Well sir, at $899.95 my wallet would be a heck of a lot lighter too.
Sparky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2012 at 20:06
Originally posted by WYcoyote WYcoyote wrote:

While a few extra ounces or pounds doesn't sound like much while we are sitting in a nice chair pecking at our keyboards now, I'm thinking that cutting that off the rifle dangling on your shoulder when climbing the shale slides at 10-11,000 ft. would be a good idea.

By switching to the VX-2 with CDS I figured I could gain dial elevation and loose some weight at the same time, but I also knew I'd take a hit optically. I thought maybe the newer Leupold might be fairly close to the Conquest, you guys have talked me out of that.

Right now I have the little .260 figured out pretty good to 500 yds, with 400 being nearly a slam dunk.
I kind off like Matt's idea of just using the existing turret, might play with that a little.
Where I will be hunting is known for being notoriously windy, and maybe that should be all the farther I need to be shooting anyway.

I have been on a number of peaks in CO that are over 14K. Yes saving weight is a good idea, but if you do not have what you need then it is worthless.

A CDS dial would not be accurate for you in the conditions you are talking about. Unless you collect your data at 10 or 11K. Kane WY is around 3700 feet. Going up 6 to 7K is going to change your data.

In windy conditions no shot at 400yds on an animal is a slam dunk.

I still would prefer the Conquest with better glass. Depending on the time of day you are hunting mirage can be an issue even at high elevations.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic