OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Cleaning Scope Lenses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old SF MJT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning Scope Lenses
    Posted: February/28/2006 at 11:48

While this may seem to some to be a dumb question, I'd like some knowledgeble advice:  What is the recommended procedure for cleaning the lenses on a rifle scope?  I have rather an assortment ranging from IOR's and higher-end Bushnells to the low-$ Chinese stuff.  Are there any special precautions to observe with lower cost scopes (Hey, I spent my money on them, I might as well try to make 'em last!!!)

Thanks in advance for the info.

Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2006 at 12:11

For loose matter, I use compressed air. The kind that you use for computer key boards. Some suggest brushes & I guess that's OK for field use, but after time particulates will build-up on your brush and possibly scratch your lenses.

After the loose stuff is gone, you can use some type of lens cleaning cloths and or solution for the smudges & fingerprints. There are numerous ones on the market, I use a Zeiss lens care kit, not that it's the best, it's just what I've got. When using lens cloths, wipe your optics with a circular motion starting in the center of the lens and work your way outwards. This prevents you from picking up a missed piece of loose dirt or sand from step #1 and grinding it into the center of your lens during the cleaning process. By the way, I don't care what the manufacturer states, only use a lens cloth once and then toss it. Stuff will accumulate on your cloth or lens pen and scratch the time out of your lenses.

I was brief, but I'm sure some of the other forum members will weigh in on this one too.

Welcome aboard!

Edited by Stud Duck
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2006 at 16:28
Originally posted by Stud Duck Stud Duck wrote:

I was brief, but I'm sure some of the other forum members will weigh in on this one too.

Nope.....You covered it well.

Great post SD!!

Welcome to the OT!!!!! 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2006 at 20:14
Sometimes QR mounts are good for just this purpose- remove the scope before cleaning the gun, which makes the scope easier to clean at that time.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2006 at 07:50

One final thought, before you go out and spend a fortune in lens cloths or micro-fibre cloths try using cotton balls with a little cleaning solution on them, you'll have to experiement with the cottonballs to see which brand leaves little to no lint behind. Use them in the circular motion like I described above with no down-pressure, just lightly swirl them across the lenses of your optics. Use the cottonball once and toss it, you may want to use a couple for each lense of the optics you're cleaning. NEVER clean with a wood product, such as papertowls or kleenex, they like to put fine little scratches all over your lenses.

Happy cleaning

Edited by Stud Duck
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2006 at 18:29

I read where John Williams III of US Optics recommends using pure acetone for lens cleaning. Might have been on USO's website, I'm not sure.

I never tried it.

I use the individual Zeiss moist lens cleaning cloths.

Good stuff.....

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Old SF MJT View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old SF MJT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2006 at 19:17

This is great information!  Thorough & comprehensive!  I've learned a great deal.

Many thanks.

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2006 at 00:21

Also, never clean any glass dry, always use a liquid, alcohol, acetone, or water. Dry cotton Tee shirts will scratch lenses. 

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic