OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Viper PST FFP 6-24X50 Vs SIII 6-24X50

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viper PST FFP 6-24X50 Vs SIII 6-24X50
    Posted: May/11/2012 at 13:45
I want a scope for my Long Range Rifle and I'm thinking about this 2 scopes.
The rifle is a .338 EDGE and I expect to shoot @ 1200 yds or more.
I already own a 6-24X50 FFP PST and absolutely love it, but I'm considering to give the SIII a try.

The SIII doesn't look as impressive as the PST, but I know looks are never a good way to evaluate a scope. 
Which one should have better glass?
Which one tracks better?
Which one is more rugged?

I really like the idea of having the FFP that the PST offers, but it's not a "must" for the scope. Specially if the glass is better in the SIII line.
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 18:28
Originally posted by Prieto9000 Prieto9000 wrote:

Which one should have better glass?
Which one tracks better?
Which one is more rugged?

I really like the idea of having the FFP that the PST offers, but it's not a "must" for the scope. Specially if the glass is better in the SIII line.

Have both and have the Sightron on a 338 EDGE.  The Sightron has exceeded my expectations and for the price point, the tracking and glass are hard to beat.  Its a no frills scope with no bells or whistles like the PST but it works.  Sightron Glass is noticeably better than the PST - especially above 18x.  The Sightron reticle selection is a weak point.  They have MIL and MOA reticles but I don't personally care for them.  I haven't had the PST long enough to give any solid feedback on repeatability and tracking.  The PST is similar price point and what it lacks in glass it makes up for in other area's ... Very good illum, shim zero stop system, and light weight.  My PST is the 6-24 model in mil/mil but SFP ... wanted it for varmints. 

I went with the SIghtron for my EDGE because it has 100 MOA of internal adjustment and you need it to get to 2000 yards.  I went with the PST for a Varmint P Dog setup because of the reticle.  If the Sightron had a Mil Hash type reticle like the Vortex ... I would own several.

Prieto9000 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 00:07
I can't complain about the glass on the PST, but it really gets a little ugly past 20x. 
I made side by side comparisons using my PST and VX-3's and Monarchs and to my eye the glass on the PST is better so, if the SIII outperforms the PST it should be a great scope.

I decided to get the SIII 8-32X56LRMOA because I liked the MOA2 reticle better than the Mildot and my local dealer doesn't have the 6-24X50LRMOA. 

I'll be mounting it on my .338 EDGE and se how it goes. If i don't like it I'll just put it on one of my other rifles and sit the PST over the EDGE.
Txhillbilly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Txhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2012 at 21:41
I have 4 of the Sightron SIII's, 2 Mildot/2 MOA reticles. I have looked at the PST's,but the glass was nowhere near as good as the Sightron's.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2012 at 10:08
Optically, SIII is better than PST.

In terms of the rest of it (durability, repeatability, etc), it is a wash.

Between SFP Vortex and SIII, the Sightron gets my nod.

However, if you want FFP, than Vortex is the way to go in this price range.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2012 at 02:27
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Optically, SIII is better than PST.

In terms of the rest of it (durability, repeatability, etc), it is a wash.

Between SFP Vortex and SIII, the Sightron gets my nod.

However, if you want FFP, than Vortex is the way to go in this price range.

ILya

Already have the FFP PST, so i decided to give the sightron a try. I Bought the 8-32X56LRMOA which i don't love, but was the only appealing SIII I could find @ my dealer. It looks ok, but I think it really needs some kind of zero stop. I also feel the turrets turn pretty easy for uncapped turrets. Haven't mounted it, so I can't give a hard opinion, but this are my concerns right out of the box.

Which rings and bases you guys think are better for mounting it on an X-Bolt??
1.- Warne Maxima QD
2.- DNZ

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2012 at 23:04
I finally mounted it on my rifle. I was looking at a construction site @ about 1800 yds and found out that i didn't need to put the focus turret @ the infinite mark. This was really annoying. With the PST anything past 600 yds goes on the infinite mark. With the SIII you need to look through the scope and start moving the wheel until you have a clear view of your target which is not optimal for shooting. 
The PST looks definitely better to my eyes. Better picture definition @ 1800yds. I know 1800 yds is pretty far away, and I'm almost sure I'll never shoot anything at that distance, but it just makes it easier to compare the optics on the 2 Scopes. It points out strengths and weaknesses. 
I also noticed that the power ring for the SIII has very little travel and the markers are very close to each other. That makes me think the SFP reticle is less than reliable given the fact that it's designed to work @24x. A little over/under adjustment will result in inaccurate reticle ranging.

So far if I had to make the choice again, I would definitely go for another PST. Let's see if I change my opinion once I start using it.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2013 at 22:09
Sightrons has an FFP now.

Bye Bye Vortex you have just been outclassed in this offering outperformed, and are in the rears as of now.
No one
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic