OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Illuminated Reticle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bumble442 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Illuminated Reticle
    Posted: May/11/2012 at 02:37
I'm looking at the Viper PST 6-24x50 But I am not a big fan of Illuminated reticles, Can you still use these Scopes Without The Reticle Illuminated?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 06:23
Yes Sir! 

Welcome to Optics Talk! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 07:17
Illuminated reticles have earned some scorn.  However, recent entries are much better.  When you NEED one, it is great to have, given that it is properly adjustable.  They can almost all be used in the "OFF" configuration.
Welcome aboard...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Bumble442 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bumble442 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 09:50
Thank You for the warm welcome!

I'm a somewhat noob to this so just so I understand it fully The Reticle would look just like any other Reticle in the off position?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 10:34
Roger that...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
vgmhunor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vgmhunor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 11:41
In many cases there is a black dot visible in the off position. Look through it before buying.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 12:04
Originally posted by vgmhunor vgmhunor wrote:

In many cases there is a black dot visible in the off position. Look through it before buying.

Which cases? I've looked through or owned several and they all worked with or without illumination being on.
S&B, SS, Nikon Monarch, Nikon Tactical, etc. I can't think of any that won't work, but maybe I'm wrong. 
Not to argue, but which of the "many cases" you refer to won't work when not lit, my friend? 

Maybe I should have prefaced my earlier post to state that I haven't looked through a Viper PST though.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 13:02
I think he was just stating that sometimes you can still see a black dot in the scope where the illuminated dot would be. Not that it won't work with the illumination off.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 13:04
I will have to give the PST line a big thumbs up for their illum.  The 6-24 has a lot of features for the price point.  Above 20x the glass shows the price and starts to cloud/grey but is still usable.  The difference at 12x and 24x is very noticeable.  The PST Illum is spot on and works very well.  Just last night I was testing it in lowlight as the sun set and was suprised just how good it was.
vgmhunor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vgmhunor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 18:10
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by vgmhunor vgmhunor wrote:

Which cases? I've looked through or owned several and they all worked with or without illumination being on.
S&B, SS, Nikon Monarch, Nikon Tactical, etc. I can't think of any that won't work, but maybe I'm wrong. 
Not to argue, but which of the "many cases" you refer to won't work when not lit, my friend? 

Maybe I should have prefaced my earlier post to state that I haven't looked through a Viper PST though.   
Burris FFII LRS, Zeiss Classic what I own. There are others if you do a thorough search. I agree Mil Dot reticles look the same on or off because the whole reticle is illuminated. Buy an illuminated plex and you might be in it for a surprise. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic