OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Savage Rifles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savage Rifles
    Posted: May/10/2012 at 13:48
Friend of mine is looking to buy a 308 Win, we went through to a Firearms Dealer that recently become the agent for Savage in South Africa. I'm quite impressed with the overall feel and looks of the rifles, and the Accutrigger is really impressive for a factory trigger. Here is my question how accurate are they, I know factory rifles can be a hit or miss scenario. And that you can end up with a Lemon from any Manufacturer. Does any one have any experience with Savage rifles, I heard that they are quiet an accurate out of the box rifle. Here are the models he is looking at with the equivalent prices here in South Africa.

12 VLP DBM (R15000 or $1875)

10/110 FCP HS Precision (R15500 or $1940)

10 FCP McMillan (R18500 or $2300)

He wants a heavy barrel rifle to participate in our Local Pro Amm competition. Basically a group shooting competition with factory ammo at 100m, you fire 3 shots smallest group of the day wins. Barrel has to be 660mm (26 inch) or shorter and not more than 22mm (0.87 inch) at the muzzle. Last time I looked 13 of the top 20 where 308, hence his choice caliber. Although he will use the rifle for hunting as well.

Other choices would have to be Sako or Tikka which give you a 5 shot one inch guarantee or Remington. I have read that Remington R5 are accurate rifles and give sub m.o.a groups with factory ammo, but we don't get them here in S.A. And I'm not sure if our local agents could get him one, due to the small number produced yearly.
We looked at the Nosler rifles as well but for the money they don't impress, and they don't have a true heavy barrel. Although the sub moa accuracy with factory ammo is appealing, its just the overall look and feel that's off putting. They price around $3500 here in S.A for the M48 Sporter, when you can pick up a Sako varmint for around $3000. And the Savages mentioned above are much cheaper, even the Tikka Super Varmint prices $2500.

Any one have any experiences to share with me so I can pass it on to my friend?
Regards Chris
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2012 at 14:44
Those are HIGH prices for those Savages.  Yikes.

That said, they are good rifles with a good reputation for shooting with little to no gunsmithing.

I have one and have owned five savage rifles.  All of them shoot.
-Matt
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2012 at 14:49
I used a 10 FP in .308. I replaced the stock before the first round was fired (before the Accu-Stock). When I first started with it, it shot a little over MOA, but working with loads, and some tweaking of the stock shrunk the groups considerably. From what I have learned, some shoot great out of the box, but some need to be broke in by just shooting. Just my experience.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2012 at 14:58
The newer Savages with Accu Stocks and Accu Triggers are KILLING it at my home range. 308's, .223's, primarily. 

I haven't seen any one lately with a long action, but the shorties are stacking 'em!   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 04:02
Glock,
This is from one of South Africa's top shots.

Hercules, ek het ook self n Tikka .25 06, n .223 Sako, n Howa .22 250, n Krico .308 en hul almal skiet ongelooflik akkuraat. Ek het nou ook vir my n Savage .243 met 26" loop asook n Savage .260 Rem aangeskaf by Huntex, en ook sommer n Howa .375 Ruger vir die grootkaliber skiet kompetisies.

Hierdie is die wat ek aangeskaf het in .243 en .260 Rem Mod 12 LRP

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12LRP

Vir die prys wat die Savage gewere nou gaan, en vir dit wat jy kan kry, glo ek nie daar is iets wat hulle kan klop in daardie prysklas.

Die .243 mod 12VLP kom standaard met n kompetisie sneller, alluminium pillar bedding, gelamineerde hout kolf, Staanless steel aksie en "fluted" 26" loop, en staal 5 skoot magasyn. Hulle beskik oor van die kortste "locktime" van alle aksies wat akkutaatheid bevorder.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12VLPDBM

Savage gewere het verlede jaar byna elke denkbare skietkompetisie in Amerika gewen.

Kyk gerus na hulle.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 04:03
Shortly said, the above says Savage is good value for money.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 07:30
Thanks for the info guys will pass it on to my friend. Looks like my friend is definately going to buy one. Hopefully he gets a shooter, then I can use it as well. Alougth I don't really take the Pro Amm competitions that seriously, seems to be a hit or miss thing how well you can shoot with factory ammo. I did shoot at our local gunshow (Huntex) and came third, group size was 5.28mm that's 0.207 inch, but that is at 75m. And it was with a friends rifle, who hapened to take his rifle with. Guy who won shot a 4.58mm (0.180 inch) with a 375 H&H. He won a Sauer 202 classic in 308.

What I have read seems to suggest that the Savages are accurate, I just wanted to hear from you guys that have shot them.
Regards Chris
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 08:13
Another plus for Savages is that you can swap a barrel out fairly easily, if need be. Easier than a barrel change on a Remington 700 action anyway.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
wongjc213 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wongjc213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 02:29

Wow those are really expensive; I think I must look for the best price for me, and guys I refer some guns and rifle accessories they have lots of style that you can enjoy looking and if you want to buy you will never discourage to the item you will buy.

- ">gun accessories,rifle accessories
rogn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2012 at 09:55
My 2pennies- I got a Savage 7mm WSM in SS two years on an online site for a greatly discounted price.(7mm WSM is a sales dog, but I like it). Out of the box with 160 gr Barnes or almost anything else  I tried it shots under a 2" @ 200M. I have 4 Savages and 2 are great 1 OK and  1 mediocre. For the money and probability the Savage is a good choice, plus as mentioned, you  can change barrels in 10 min.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic