OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mosin...IVAN needs help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blanco Gringo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mosin...IVAN needs help
    Posted: May/08/2012 at 11:18
Hopefully I have come to the right place for help with my project rifle.
My hobby is finding old and abused weapons and making them look and shoot good again.
My latest project was pretty sad when I picked it up

As you can see this wwII veteran needs some help. So IVAN got a facelift!

The reality of what this rifle is, hit home when I had it at the range this past weekend. Shooting at the 100 yd range showed that the scope on this rifle is very  VERY much lacking. It is of very cheep vintage Chinese badness.
After shooting a few times, I could almost make out the target at 100 yds. It looked like a big dancing blob.
Nonetheless i did manage more hits than misses.

IVAN badly needs new optics, but this is a budget project. I have a grand total of $125 in it so far.
I just saw the Vortex that is on closeout as being discontinued??? Whaddya think??  Bandito
"My dog gives me the bird"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 11:30
Love the rifle. It looks mean since the color is off it.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Blanco Gringo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blanco Gringo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 11:33
A lot more work went into that than it looks. The barrel is 6 inches shorter, new bolt and a deep dark earth coating on the metal parts. stock was textured and bedlinered.
NEED a new scope!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 11:58
What's your price range, and intended purpose?
If your talking about the 2-7 Vortex, I don't think you could go wrong with it.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 11:59
First of all, as a general disclaimer, I am a big fan of Mosin-Nagant rifles (and I have twelve of them in different configurations), so I am biased.

As far as scopes go, you best bet in this price range is Sightron S1 3-9x40:

Also, makes sure the base and rings are up to snuff.

It looks like you are using that ATI base there which is not known for being of good quality.  As you change the scope, it would be a good idea to check the mount and loctite all screws in place.  Not sure whether it is worth your while to bed it.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blanco Gringo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 12:01
As this is a budget project, this will just be a shooter. It might be fun to see what it would do at long ranges but I am a realist. I have no aspirations of making it into a 1000 yd sniper rifle. It's strictly for fun on the cheap.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blanco Gringo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 12:05
This is the one I was referring to
Koshkin...If you are a fan of the Mosins I am sorry for what happened to IVAN. I dint butcher him. Just tried to make him a bit easier on the eyes.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blanco Gringo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 14:08
FYI
If you have a look at my target, you will see all the pasters on the lower half of the target. That was shot with some Privi Partisan brass case lead boolits. It was actually shooting pretty good. Then I ran out of ammo. I had some Mil Surp steel case stuff. I started out shooting way up in the left corner? Then with some adjustments it started coming closer.
Then I ran out of that stuff too.
This rifle is gonna be fun!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 15:53
Originally posted by Blanco Gringo Blanco Gringo wrote:

This is the one I was referring to
Koshkin...If you are a fan of the Mosins I am sorry for what happened to IVAN. I dint butcher him. Just tried to make him a bit easier on the eyes.

I've butchered a few Mosin's in my day too, so no worries there.  I am, however, happy to see someone make god use of the old warhorse.  These rifles are usually a lot more accurate than people give them credit for, especially if you work over the trigger a bit and pay a little attention to the ammo. 

As far as the Crossfire scope goes, I am not a fan.  In this price range, you want to keep things simple, so a basic 3-9x40 scope would be my recommendation.  Trying to go for a scope with more features is just asking for trouble.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blanco Gringo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 17:11
There are some out there that preach that MN's shouldn't be altered at all. If someone suggests doing more than removing cosmeline, they send out the witch hunters.
I actually get it. Some guns should just be left alone. You wouldn't change an old original Garand.
But from what I understand there were somewhere around 15 million MN's built??? You can buy a crate full of them for $500. Or catch them on sale for $90
Anyhow
Maybe you could expound on your reasoning on avoiding the Vortex?
I might get the Vortex for my Urban Tactical rifle. which has a Burris FFII 3~9X40
and put the Burris on IVAN???
I am a fan of the 30mm tubes. Bigger hole = more light= Gooder

Bandito
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 17:32
Generally speaking, this statement:   "Bigger hole = more light= Gooder" Is patently untrue when applied to riflescopes.

A while back, I wrote a lengthy piece called Riflescope Fundamentals.  It is lengthy, but it goes over all of these considerations in reasonable detail:

As far as the Vortex scope goes, I generally like Vortex products and quite a few of them are easily among my favourites.  However, the Crossfire line is not.  When you try to cram too many features into a cheap scope, something has got to give and it is usually the important stuff: glass and mechanics.  Vortex Crossfire is not any worse in this regard than a myriad of other cheap chinese scopes that try to check too many "feature" boxes.  If anything, it is better than most others simply because of Vortex' customer service.  Still, I am not aware of any scope as fully featured as the Crossfire in the sub-$400 range that is actually worth buying.

If you are on a budget, stay with simpler configurations.  In this price range they will be much better executed.

As far as butchering Mosin-Nganats goes, that really depends on the configuration.  There was a large number (17.4 million) of 91/30s built so most of them are not very collectable while being good shooters.  However, there are variants that are fairly rare and those should definitely be left alone.  For example, I have two M28/76 rifles that are very collectable.  There were very few made and even fewer imported into the states.  There are, of course, other very collectible Mosins since the total number of variations of these rifles is considerable (a couple dozen, at least).

ILya
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 17:43
Originally posted by Blanco Gringo Blanco Gringo wrote:

I am a fan of the 30mm tubes. Bigger hole = more light= Gooder

Bandito

The size of the tube has for the most part no effect on light transmission. It is glass quality that determines light transmission.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blanco Gringo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 18:13
Interesting
If that is the case what would you reccommend for a slightly higher magnification scope than the 3~9x that is a bit lower in price. I can do without all the fancy side focus and BDC reticle.
Just a nice clear sight picture with a 12x or better mag?
Remember this is a $125 rifle
Like I said I would be willing to upgrade this guy

and move my FFII to IVAN
I really like The FFII but wouldn't mind a higher mag scope and then do a swap.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 19:27
Generally speaking, my recommendations are here:

If you want 12x or so, the cheapest variable scopes I can recommend are Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40:

and Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40:

Leatherwood Uni-Dial 4-16x50 is also not bad for about $280:

ILya
lumberjack149 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumberjack149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2012 at 07:15
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

It looks like you are using that ATI base there which is not known for being of good quality. ILya 

What would you consider the best scope mount for a mosin-nagant cost not being any concern?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blanco Gringo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2012 at 07:53
At this point 2 sticks taped to the barrel would be better.....
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2012 at 11:50
Originally posted by lumberjack149 lumberjack149 wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

It looks like you are using that ATI base there which is not known for being of good quality. ILya 

What would you consider the best scope mount for a mosin-nagant cost not being any concern?

That depends on how much work you are willing to do and which Mosin you have.

If you want something that would minimize the gunsmithing and still use a normal rifle scope (not the scout setup), "Jmeck" mount is probably your best bet.  This one is also likely to be the best option if you have a low wall receiver.

With a high wall receiver and if you have a drill press, a side mount of some sort is not a bad option if you can find the right mounting plate.  Smith Enterprises used to make a really nice mount which I put onto one of  my M39s, but those are almost impossible to find.

Your next best bet is one of the side-plates that allow you to us a POSP mount.  I've set up a couple of those for my friend's rifles and they are a little tricky to get straight, but they work.

I still have a couple of those mounting plates, so I might butcher one of my non-collectable Mosins in the future.

Lastly, if you want to replicate the look of a WWII Mosin sniper, there are rather good reproduction PU and PE mounts made by Accumounts.  I have a couple of those and the quality looks good.

He now also has some sort of a scout mount which I have not yet tried.  I have tried a couple of other scout mounts out there and I liked Darrell's the most.

ILya

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blanco Gringo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2012 at 20:17
Well Ivan got ... another scope!
It may not be much of an upgrade, but compared to the junk it had.... well we shall see.
This was a bit of an afterthought. I purchased a Savage discount package rifle, with the intention of using it for a project later on. It had a Bushnell Banner Wide View 3~9X50 included in the price. I have no intentions of using that scope on the slated project ...so it was donated.
I had a set of 1" tactical rings to throw in the deal.
Even though Bushnell Banner is still Chi-Com this Banner is light years ahead of what was on it!

I can already see an issue.
The tactical mounts are a bit higher. Not un-usable but it takes my cheek up off the stock.
HMMM.... might need to build an adjustable comb.....

Gotta go shoot now.

I cleaned the barrel on Ivan today with Gungravy Plus  WOW 
It ran out blue, then green and then black.  I use an old freezer drip pan to catch the old cleaning soloution. It looked like I changed the oil in my truck!

Standard Gungravy

I use a quart squirt or spray bottle
1/3 Valvoline universal ATF ( this has less odor)
1/3 odorless mineral spirits
the last third is light weight lubricating oil. I use non detergent compressor oil 10or 20 wt.
and citrus oil solvent (limolene)

This stuff works better as a cleaner and lubricant than ANY commercial product I have ever tried.

Gungravy Plus  (for copper fouling)
Start with a batch of the standard stuff above and add a bit of Murphys oil soap and some 10% janitorial strength ammonia ( Ace Hardware is my best source)
This mixture will seperate over time and it turns the Gungravy a pink color. Just shake it up before using.
Honestly this stuff works faster and better tha Hoppes#9 for copper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blanco Gringo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 13:33
I happen to live very close to Cheaper than Dirt. I stopped in to pick up some 7.62 ammo yesterday. While I was there I found some Quick Release Low Profile Rings. It brought the scope to a muchmore pleasing level.
 I would like to find one of the lace on cheek riser pads. I think it might be really helpful.

By the way if you need 7.62 ammo CTD has NEW Russian Mfg. in 20 rds box for about $8.00
or 500 rds of same for $120.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blanco Gringo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 13:34
I happen to live very close to Cheaper than Dirt. I stopped in to pick up some 7.62 ammo yesterday. While I was there I found some Quick Release Low Profile Rings. It brought the scope to a much more pleasing level.
 I would like to find one of the lace on cheek riser pads. I think it might be really helpful.

By the way if you need 7.62 ammo CTD has NEW Russian Mfg. in 20 rds box for about $8.00
or 500 rds of same for $120.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic