OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Starting Reloading ask for advice.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting Reloading ask for advice.
    Posted: May/07/2012 at 12:39
Not many folks in my area do this so I figured I could ask you fellas.

I want to start reloading and was wondering what equipment I would need? Can I buy the 300-400 dollar hornady kits or are they no good?

308 223 243 are the calibers ill be reloading if that matters. Hopefully someday 338 Lapua aswell.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old Mil ftw
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 13:00
I started out with a Lyman kit and up graded as I was able to. I loaded for a while using it then up graded powder measure to the RCBS, I modified the RCBS case prep station to make trimming and such alot faster with the same results.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 13:19
I'd start with the RCBS Rock Chuker kit. I went another direction many moons ago when I started, but if I were to do it all over again, this would be my choice. 
Your pretty much ready to go right out the gate and RCBS customer service, should you need them, are ridiculously great. 

Also, save up some funds and get a good digital scale, when opportunity allows.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 13:31
+1 what Cheaptrick said. I'll also recommend getting at least 3 reloading manuals from different companies; Sierra, Speer, Lyman, and Hornady are just a few that come to mind.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 14:25
Is the supreme master kit enough? 300 Or does one need the 799 deluxe kit?
Old Mil ftw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 14:25
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

+1 what Cheaptrick said. I'll also recommend getting at least 3 reloading manuals from different companies; Sierra, Speer, Lyman, and Hornady are just a few that come to mind.

They have manuals?!?!?!?  Bucky

Wink Good advice. 

Also, try to get up with someone near you that reloads and work with them the first time out. Maybe there's a forum with folks from your state, like I go to The Carolina Shooting Forum. Guys there love to help out and will show you the ropes. Once you see it done, the rest is easy.  

Reloading is NOT difficult to learn, it's just ex$pensive to maintain doing it.  Big Grin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 14:30
Originally posted by RotoReuter_DM RotoReuter_DM wrote:

Is the supreme master kit enough? 300 Or does one need the 799 deluxe kit?

The Supreme Master Kit should have most everything you need to start, less the dies. 

I'd opt to go with the Lee Deluxe die set. You get a full length sizing die, a collet neck die, and a seating die for around $30. 

anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 15:22
You'll need a case trimmer to go with that rock chucker kit too.

I'd say its a great choice for a new reloader and you'll always want a solid single stage press on your bench. The Hornady kits would be fine as well.

Case prep is a little complicated if you're just diving in. Maybe start with a straight wall pistol case like .357 or .44 to learn the ropes?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 15:31
Originally posted by anomad anomad wrote:

You'll need a case trimmer to go with that rock chucker kit too.

Excellent point. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 16:04
If I'm just reloading once fire black hills brass 308 I shouldnt have to trim much correct?

I appreciate the input so far looks like if 500ish is what I have to spend it will be well worth it. Lots of bullet options aswell.
Old Mil ftw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 16:21
Originally posted by RotoReuter_DM RotoReuter_DM wrote:

If I'm just reloading once fire black hills brass 308 I shouldnt have to trim much correct?

I appreciate the input so far looks like if 500ish is what I have to spend it will be well worth it. Lots of bullet options aswell.

Get a good pair of calipers too. Your trim to length of those .308's should be right around 2.005". A little shorter is cool, longer will be a problem. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 16:28
Check thanks again for the information fellas. 
Old Mil ftw
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 07:06
I took the lee trimmers and taped it to fit on my RCBS trim mate thingie. It make trimming simple and right on the money everytime. I have done 1000's with this system and it still run strong. I have a lee length Gage for every round I load for pistol and rifle. just unscrew it off the cutter and screw the one you need in and change the shell holder and off to trimming.

cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 07:22
I was in your shoes not that long ago and someone recommended The ABCs of Reloading, it is a great book for new reloaders and I would also recommend it to you.

http://www.amazon.com/The-ABCs-Of-Reloading-Definitive/dp/1440213968/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336479295&sr=1-1
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 07:46
That was my first loading guide also. great HOW TO book.

jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2012 at 12:35
I am fairly new to reloading as well. I recomend getting a simple single stage press to start. I would not buy a kit. look on craigslist or ebay and their are great deals. In vest in a good reloading manual and ask guys on here. Reloading is fun and addicting!!!!!! Next thing you know you will be ordering 223 brass 1k at a time like me and the rest of these guys Big Grin
Dont take yourself to seriously

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2012 at 13:34
Originally posted by jselsor jselsor wrote:

Next thing you know you will be ordering 223 brass 1k at a time like me and the rest of these guys Big Grin

anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2012 at 16:39
Well not everyone, I've never paid for 223 brass...

Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2012 at 20:38
Originally posted by anomad anomad wrote:

Well not everyone, I've never paid for 223 brass...

Me neither!
So much range brass and so few hand loaders...

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2012 at 10:48
Don't skimp on your reloading tools[scale,micrometer,wax] save if you must,buy once cry once.Don,t be shy either there are plenty of very good reloaders on this site always willing to share their knowledge,but none with crystall balls!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic