OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

zombie gun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: zombie gun
    Posted: May/07/2012 at 05:15
I think all the end of days or break down of society scenarios are unlikely in my lifetime, but that doesn't mean I don't want to take at least some measures to prepare, in case I'm wrong.  My home insurance covers many things that are unlikely to happen.        I think all those preppers that are spending thousands of dollars on lethal defense are not thinking enough about the consequences when order is restored.          Having said that, I do think you need some way to defend yourself from lethal threats.  I think this is true even now.  I think anyone that doesn't own a gun is a little foolish.        So I gave some thought to buying a new gun to take out the zombies.  One of the guns I considered was an AR-15 in .308.  I figured I might need to take out zombies that were too far away for a shotgun or pistol.  But I already had a Winchester model 88 in .308 that I'd inherited from my dad.  In case you don't know, the Winchester model 88 is a lever action with a five shot clip.  As a first step, I decided to put a nice scope on this gun and sight it in, which I did.  Before yesterday, the most powerful gun I'd ever shot was my .357 magnum.  The .308 was a whole 'nother level.  If you are standing next to a .308, when it goes off, you can feel the shock wave.  My shoulder is a little sore this morning, and I only shot ten rounds.         Anyway, my thinking is that the .308 is way more than you need for killing zombies.  You could kill a griz or bison with it.       So now I'm back to thinking about either a tactical shot gun or a tactical rifle in 9mm or .45 ACP, or both.        Any thoughts on this?Loco
Randy
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 07:07
If something major did happen, it would all boil down to where the water is then food but that is after the looting stopped. everyone needs there big screen

Now if zombies try and take over I see it this way. I have a 55 gallon drum of peanut butter. i also have a good stock of bite sized crackers. I'm going to take the crackers and cover in peanut butter. as we all know a zombie will attack you with his or her mouth wide open. So, I'm just going to toss a heavily peanut buttered cracker is said zombies mouth. while said zombie is trying to get his mouth from being stuck together I'm going to stab it in the eye with knife used to spread PB on the cracker. I'm going to do this to save ammo for the real wacko's running around with the food/water wasting ammo shooting the zombies. when they run out of ammo ( which will be pretty fast) I'm going to take there food or make them into pack mules to carry my items (peanut butter/ammo and reloading supplies) into the hills to meet my  other (gun toting nut ball whack job ) friends and have a party with tons of food and water that other folks supplied. So if anyone would like to join in on the fun, just Pm me your address Smiley..
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 07:30
Will see you there Brandon!! (I'm a gun toting nut ball whack job.)

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 07:33
Loco
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 08:46
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Will see you there Brandon!! (I'm a gun toting nut ball whack job.)

Bring ammo and crackers..... I'll be the guy with a surplus of 308's,223's,45's and 9MM's I'm using of other folks as they didn't read this post and shot up all THERE ammo and are now toting my stuff into the zombie free hills. Let the good times roll.

River Runner View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 13:06
Avoidance is the first line of defense.  Any of you see "Defiance" a movie based on a true story about  jews hiding out in the forest till the Germans were defeated?  Probably a pretty good depiction of what things would be like if doo doo hits the fan.
By zombies I mean all those that didn't prepare and come looking for my food and water or just want to raise hell because there is no one around to stop them.  When there is a severe gas shortage and a gallon costs over $20, I see things turning ugly.  That could happen within twenty years.  In the meantime, I plan on doing a lot of biking, canoeing, and hiking.Whacko
Randy
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 13:10
when thinking of a zombie weapon think light and fast. 1000 rounds of 308 weighs a lot more over 1000 rounds of 223. 

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 15:13
I'd rather carry the .308...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 15:17
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Okay, I'll carry the 223. We can be travel buddies.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 16:06
 2 words: kill radius.  If mine exceeds yours, you lose.

If your shoulder is sore, get a 223 and practice, practice, practice.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 16:09
I like the phrase "kill radius" ...  It is quite meaningful

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 16:19
Get Your Popcorn Ready
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 16:21
On a more serious note, though, 223 is an exceedingly good option for a zombie gun.

Since civilians are not limited to bullet designs neutered by international conventions, it is a rather effective cartridge that is easy to carry and works well on most things you might want to shoot in an emergency.

Of the military-approved loads only the one with cannelured 77gr SMK (Mk 262) is worthwhile.  However, for the rest of us Black Hills and Federal loads with a 60gr Partition are pretty good.  Same for the various loads with Brnes TSX bullet (Black Hills, Doubletap and Cor-bon).

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 16:58
And while we are it it, here is another take on a zombie gun.

This one is chambered for 7.62x39 which is more effective than most people give it credit for (the ammo on the bench is for a different rifle).

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 17:28
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

And so we shall...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 17:30
IMHO SERE is very important (used to be called Escape and Evasion).
There are some very serious bad guys and gals out there..some of the street gangs have former members of various elite military formations and are much better trained than most people imagine.
Staying out of the way of those folks is more important than any choice of firearms.
The 5.56mm is adequate for dealing with just about any critter except for angry bear, moose, bison or elk.
With two kinds of ammo and proper optics a reliable M-4 carbine copy can handle 99% of the situations you are liable to need a gun for..trapping small critters and deer makes much more sense than using a gun..loud noises bring bad people.
Water is the most pressing need and a good filter system will allow survival where a firearm won't.
Heinlein wrote some very good stuff back in the 40's and 50's, it worth a read, so is "The Road" and "Lucifer's Hammer".
My chances are almost nil because of physical problems and the need for medications.
I hope to be able to help others escape the chaos though and get as many out as I can.
A group will in most circumstances have a much better chance than a individual.
Lets all hope and pray that it never comes to that.
Art
Good day.
River Runner View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 06:10
Silencers are apparently legal here in CO.  You just have to go through more paper work and a long wait time.  Seems like a silencer might be useful by drawing less attention to yourself.  An AR-15 with a slilencer might be the hot set-up.  Wish the three shot burst setting was legal. 
I'm wondering a bit about optics.  A red-dot sight or illuminated reticle seems like it would be an advantage, but not being dependent on batteries might also be an advantage.
Randy
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 06:14

Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

And so we shall...

Laugh

Just kidding, Gents. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 06:54
Excellent

Ahhhhhhh

That sure is warm.
-Matt
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2012 at 20:36
I have a 450 Bushmaster that'll settle them down
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic