OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Base screw question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Base screw question
    Posted: May/06/2012 at 22:51
Well the latest in my Savage tac rifle odyssey is while out shooting this afternoon, I noticed my picatinney base screws had come loose. The base is a IOR 20 MOA base mounted on a Savage rifle chambered in 300 WSM. 
   Anyway I gather up my stuff and go home to fix it, I get out my Borka torque tool, and my handy bottle of loc-tight... And here is where the troubles begin! I start all the screws  in with a regular T-15 wrench until snug, and the put the torque to them. Everything is going good until the second pass with the torque wrench, and the screw that is right over the barrel tennon is broken. I pull the base back off, tried to get the broke off screw to back out with a little screw-driver and hammer but no luck. So then found the reason it broke in the first place... I put the rifle in a vice to start taking off the barrel to drill out the offending screw... But of course it is bottom out on the threads of the barrel!
 The really sad part of this whole story is the rifle was absolutely a hammer this afternoon. The first 8 rounds were right on top of each other. Then I put my son on the rifle for few rounds and things started to go askew...Which does nothing for building the confidence of a young shooter!
 Anyway sounds like the rifle is off to the Smithy...Whacko
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 06:11
Ah hell! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 07:34
I'd try to heat it or just take it to a smith and drill and tap it to the larger base screws.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 08:57
http://homerepair.about.com/od/interiorhomerepair/ss/screw_extractor.htm

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Screw-Extractor

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 09:34
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but it sounds like you have a right attitude towards it.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 09:44
I feel your pain....I tried to do a pillar bedding deal on a rifle and I mixed the dang epoxy wrong! Too much hardener I recon, because it wouldn't get hard. Just a gooey mess!    

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 19:42
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

http://homerepair.about.com/od/interiorhomerepair/ss/screw_extractor.htm

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Screw-Extractor

The problem with that is the loc-tight. I don't really feel like making a larger mess... Most of the time, I jump in head first, but since I already know the screw is on the barrel threads...I am going to back off on this one. I just can't afford messing up the threads at this time... And G, I am definitely going to switch to 8-40's!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 06:57
A little heat and it will relax the loc-tight then it will eas out. I promise. You need to move closer to me....

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 10:33
I think Bd is hitting on BillyShocked

Hey Bd, do they make easy-outs small enough for that screw?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 10:46
+1 with the heat,same thing happed to me on my 5R.I used a heat shrink gun for about 5 mins at max & it loosened right up.If you don't have a heat shrink gun try using a hot hair blower!Take your time.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 11:00
Irwin I think.

takezo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takezo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2012 at 08:51
You might try a soldering iron with the 'right' size tip on the remains of the screw.  If you can get enough contact with the screw the heat will flow from the screw to the loctite then to the barrel.

Of course this is assuming the loctite is the reason it can't be removed easily.  It may be 'mechanically locked' by bottoming out in the hole or into the incomplete threads at the bottom.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic