OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - NRA backing one of the most anti-gun politicians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

NRA backing one of the most anti-gun politicians

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NRA backing one of the most anti-gun politicians
    Posted: May/06/2012 at 21:47
Hello all:
Saw the NRA endorsement for Romney..why.
During his time as the governor of Mass. he was anti-gun.
Why hasn't the NRA gotten him to sign a pledge saying he won't sponsor or sign any anti-gun legislation if he is elected.
We should have learned our lesson with Reagan and Bush 1.
Is the NRA hierarchy more interested in saying they play golf with POTUS than a pro-gun agenda?
Looks to me that is may be time for another revolt..the FUDS have taken over again and are willing to sell everyone else out.
Art

Good day.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2012 at 23:40
....and the alternative. If Obama wins and gets a majority in both houses during his next tenure, gun people are screwed.
Who do you suggest they endorse that has any chance of winning?
Doug
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2012 at 23:53
Romney is by no means a pro-gun politician, but compared to the current moron-in-charge, he is a peach.

We do not have any other options.  It is Romney or Obama.  Pick the one you like the most (or dislike the least).

ILya
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 01:51
Obama is smart enough to know not to go to Congress, anti-gun bills can't even make it through committee.
Romney will simply use executive orders so he doesn't have go to Congress.
The NRA needs to make him sign a pledge..they want the D's to do it, why not the R's.
Just because you play golf with someone doesn't mean you can trust them.
Romney actually has done much more anti-gun legislation than Obama, I don't trust him and neither should the NRA.
He has actually signed anti-gun legislation.
Reagan and Bush 1 were an NRA members and they screwed us, we need the "pledge".
Art

Good day.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 06:22
We went through this same deal last time around with Mac and I bitched about picking the "dog with the fewest fleas", but Koshkin's right. It's that simple....pick one.

I will say I like Romney more than I did McCain. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 10:12
Romney will never go after guns!  He has an economy to fix!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pricedo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pricedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 10:43
Originally posted by gulf1263 gulf1263 wrote:

Hello all:
Saw the NRA endorsement for Romney..why.
During his time as the governor of Mass. he was anti-gun.
Why hasn't the NRA gotten him to sign a pledge saying he won't sponsor or sign any anti-gun legislation if he is elected.
We should have learned our lesson with Reagan and Bush 1.
Is the NRA hierarchy more interested in saying they play golf with POTUS than a pro-gun agenda?
Looks to me that is may be time for another revolt..the FUDS have taken over again and are willing to sell everyone else out.
Art

The pro gun voters are caught between a rock and a hard place.
Or to use another metaphor Romney is the frying pan and Obama is the fire.
I guess the NRA felt as I do that Romney is the lesser of two evils.
What is our realistic alternative? Vote for Obama? I think not.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 11:08
Reagan said he didn't know the machinegun ban was in the McClure-Volkmer bill, and that if he did, he wouldn't have signed it. He did appoint at least 2 of the Supreme Court Justices that struck down DC's and Chicago's gun bans, and that's worth something.
Which brings me to Romney, it's more about Federal Court appointees than legislation. You have a better chance of getting originalist justices with Romney, that will interpit the Constitution the way the Founding Fathers intended. Instead of justices appointed by Obama, who will create law to support Obama's agenda, and just be a rubber stamp for whatever power grab the Democrats and/or government wants.

I think the choice is easy, and I'm not going to cry about it until I'm really hurt.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 18:00
What I should have said is that whomever we (the NRA) backs should have to sign a pledge not to institute any anti-gun legislation.
In the May/June 2012 issue of "American Handgunner", page 26, the Gun Crank Diaries by "John Conner" this is discussed, however the author is more interested in other positions than gun rights.
I am interested in gun rights..all the other stuff takes back stage to that issue.
Once I have someone's pledge not to violate my Second Amendment Rights then I will be interested in hearing their position on the the other stuff.
I say this because the NRA endorsement committee here in Alaska endorsed a candidate based on his stand on abortion..they made the leap of faith that if he was anti-abortion he would be pro-gun.
Turns out he belonged to a very left wing christian group that was anti-abortion but was to the left of the communist on everything else..they believed in no private ownership of firearms and immediate confiscation of all firearms.
The pro-choice candidate was an very dedicated NRA life member and very pro Second Amendment.
He won the election and went on to sponsor a variety of pro-gun rights legislation.
The endorsement committee was never called to account.
That is why I want the endorsed candidate to sign a pro-Second Amendment pledge, I don't know what the NRA committee used as criteria.
Just because I am paranoid doesn't mean I am wrong.
Art
Good day.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 18:24
Originally posted by gulf1263 gulf1263 wrote:

Once I have someone's pledge not to violate my Second Amendment Rights then I will be interested in hearing their position on the the other stuff.

'Member this?? 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 18:27
Politicians lie for a living.
What is stopping them from breaking that pledge once in office?  or from surcumventing it in some less than open way?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 18:48
With politics, you aren't going to find a candidate that fits all of your issues.  You have to choose what is most important to you.

Unfortunately, I have to admit that Obama signed some important gun rights bills during this term, and I am not sure Romney would have done the same.  Tough to write, but the truth.

The Brady Group gave Obama an F on gun rights, so there is a badge of honor.  Hard to see which way is up in this election.

The truth is, the Republicans party missed the boat not fielding a strong candidate in the primary.  Where are you Colin Powell?

-Matt
pricedo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pricedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 03:08
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

With politics, you aren't going to find a candidate that fits all of your issues.  You have to choose what is most important to you.

Unfortunately, I have to admit that Obama signed some important gun rights bills during this term, and I am not sure Romney would have done the same.  Tough to write, but the truth.

The Brady Group gave Obama an F on gun rights, so there is a badge of honor.  Hard to see which way is up in this election.

The truth is, the Republicans party missed the boat not fielding a strong candidate in the primary.  Where are you Colin Powell?

Right! ........there are no clear cut cases.
You can't order custom made politicians.
They come pretty much as they are.
The pro/con balance in SCOTUS is critical to the longevity of 2A in America.
Obamas last 2 SCOTUS appointments are 2 avid anti-gunners.
The next SCOTUS appointments will be critical to 2A in America.
Heller is not set in stone and can be reversed in we wind up with the wrong team in the countries highest court.
A 2nd term Obama administration will not have to think about re-election and the attack on 2A will be swift and decimating if the Obama/Holder duo remain in office for a second term.
We'll still have some leverage over a Romney administration as he will still have winning his second term as a mitigating factor in his firearms related decisions.

Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 08:17
We are way past the point where this or that politician is going to make a lick of difference.
Our government is both incompetent and corrupt to the core at every level.
It's all about the rule of the elites.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 08:58
As much as I hate to do it, I Concur with Alan.

It is obvious that we have all but lost democracy in the United States.

When you add the high numbers of foreign people being allowed to vote. People that have never lived in freedom. People that will never known the freedom we had. For that matter few Americans today have lived Pre Kennedy to know freedom America had the first 200 years.  It will be difficult to ever know freedom in the united States again.

The Courts rule today that the corruption and bad decisions of bad and poor judges set precedents that over rule the Constitution. The supreme Court is so arrogant that they feel that if they admit to previous poor decisions it will weaken their power if they correct the corrupt and bad decisions of previous Judges.

The only thing weakened is the country. The power that was held in America was the Power of the People. Today the people are being suppressed by Government Rulings. 
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 11:12
+2 with Allen & 3-tens.Well at least we had a taste of the good times,I feel for my grand children who will never know the difference Ouch
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 18:12
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

We are way past the point where this or that politician is going to make a lick of difference.
Our government is both incompetent and corrupt to the core at every level.
It's all about the rule of the elites.

Amen. 
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 21:27
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Politicians lie for a living.
What is stopping them from breaking that pledge once in office?  or from surcumventing it in some less than open way?

Hit the nail on the head there.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 21:57
Guys,
   It will not be Congress, nor the President (they ain't got the guts for it.) that takes our gun rights.  It will be in a treaty with NATO or the U.N.   Well, we didn't know that was part of the treaty!  Sorry!   Guess what, it supersedes the U.S. Constitution. Goodbye gun rights!  Watch for it soon, under this administration or the next. 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic