OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mid range scope - M223, Viper, Weaver GS?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catalyst81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mid range scope - M223, Viper, Weaver GS?
    Posted: May/04/2012 at 10:21
I'm looking for a mid range scope in the $300-$400 range.  So far I've narrowed it down to the Nikon m 223 3-12, Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10 and the Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10.  Any opinions on these or other scopes I should consider? 
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 10:51
What will the scope be going on and what will it be used for?  This type of info will help. 
catalyst81 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catalyst81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 12:12
It will be going on an AR 15.  Mostly for plinking in the desert anywhere from 100-400 yrds and for occasional (1-3x/yr) coyote hunting.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 12:51
I have never used the Nikon M-223 scopes, I did at one time have a 2.5-10x42 and 3-12x42 Monarch and was not overly impressed.  The 2.5-10 had their BDC reticle and it was too busy for me.  No experience with either of the other two scopes, I do own a Vortex Viper 2-7 and it is great scope.  To my eyes, the glass in the Vortex Vipers is better than the Nikons. 

The Weaver is an exclusive to a competitor of SWFA so you may not get much info on it here.  It does get good reviews on Sniper's Hide and AR15.com.

Keep and eye on the Samplelist, you may find a good deal on a 3-9 Super Sniper, would be great on your set-up.  Of the three you listed I would go with the Vortex due to the quality of their scopes and they are a great company to deal with.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 13:10
The Viper gets my nod as well.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catalyst81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 09:05
Where does the Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest fit in with these?
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 09:22
Originally posted by catalyst81 catalyst81 wrote:

In my opinion, it would fit in at the top, if it meets your needs.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catalyst81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 10:17
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Originally posted by catalyst81 catalyst81 wrote:

In my opinion, it would fit in at the top, if it meets your needs.

Well I need it for paper punching/plinking and some occasional hunting.  Looks like it would fit the bill.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 10:29
The Conquest or Meopta Meopro would be great choices.
-Matt
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catalyst81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2012 at 01:02
How does the Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40 compare to the Vortex Viper and the Zeiss Conquest?  I found one for what seems like a reasonable price.

No links to competitors on this forum. ROE number 3.

3.  Do not advertise other retailers selling the same or similar products as SWFA, this includes posting links to other retailers for products sold by SWFA.  SWFA does not provide this forum as a vehicle to redirect customers to our competition.

Thank you for your anticipated compliance. 

Edited by cheaptrick - May/07/2012 at 08:04
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic