OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

LR Scope for .308... Vortex Viper??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmenold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LR Scope for .308... Vortex Viper??
    Posted: April/29/2012 at 08:54
I am trying to narrow down a scope to put on my new Remington 700 AAC-SD .308.  I will be using it for shooting prairie dogs, deer hunting and target shooting out to 500-800 yards.  I am a big Leupold fan but am wanting to save a little money from their VX3's.  I'd love to try the Leupold Mark 4 but they are a bit out of my price range (my budget is around $500-750).  I've been looking into the Vortex Viper and have read some pretty good reviews on them.  What I'm trying to figure out is if the Vortex Viper 6-20X is the way to go for around $450 or if it's worth spending a minimum of $750 for the PST?  Is the quality of glass the same for each or is it comparable to Leupold VX-2 and VX-3?  I am really wanting the mil dot reticle which looks like it's offered in the $450 scope, the PST reticle is a bit different.  Any comments or advice is appreciated!
Swearing is a lazy man's way of trying to look intelligent!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 09:38
Welcome aboard the OT.  Many on here like your options, I'm sure you will get some advice soon. 

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 12:52
Welcome to the OT!

Take a look at the SWFA SS 10X HD or if you have young eyes SS3-9 !
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 13:13
I like the 5-20x50 Super Sniper and the 5-20x50 Trijicon Accupoint pretty good. The Sightron SIII scopes are very nice and the PST line from Vortex aslo brings a lot to the table.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 15:30
When you say deer hunting. How close are we talking about and are you using a stand or walking?
tmenold View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmenold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 15:36
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

When you say deer hunting. How close are we talking about and are you using a stand or walking?

I usually sit when deer hunting, but the past few years I've shot my deer at 200 and up to 340 yards with my .243.  There is a few spots I've seen deer but it would be pushing 500 yards.  Prob wouldn't take that shot with the .243 but I think it would possible with the .308 and some nice glass on top.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 16:09
With those distances and your other uses, go with the SS 5-20.
tmenold View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmenold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 16:57

When you say, "Go with the SS 5-20", what brand is that?  Sorry for me being a bit clueless at this.  At first I thought the SS was the SWFA brand scope but it looks like their scopes are all fixed power. 
tmenold View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmenold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 17:00
Originally posted by tmenold tmenold wrote:

When you say, "Go with the SS 5-20", what brand is that?  Sorry for me being a bit clueless at this.  At first I thought the SS was the SWFA brand scope but it looks like their scopes are all fixed power. 

Sorry, I stand corrected, I was looking under the "MOA" scopes, if you look under the MRAD scopes their is the 5-20X.  It's a bit over my budget at $1500 though.  ;-(
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 17:15
Sorry I missed your budget. But the SS 5-20 without illumination and the discount is I believe about $1050. Also the SS would in my opinion is a few steps above the scopes you were looking at.

http://www.opticstalk.com/swfass-tax-day-group-buy-16-520-and-more_topic32695.html?FID=7&PR=3

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-5-20x50-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P51653.aspx
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 19:32

SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD520X50MQ
  • Patented First Focal Plane Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • HD Model
  • Locking Ocular Adjustment
  • 0.1 Mrad Elevation & Windage
  • 10 Mils Per Revolution
  • 30 Mils Of Total Travel
  • Side Focus
$1,299.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 19:42
The Hawke Sidewinder 30's get good reviews and there's a review by koshkin who knows his stuff. For a lower priced scope that functions.
Old Mil ftw
tmenold View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmenold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 20:54
Originally posted by RotoReuter_DM RotoReuter_DM wrote:

The Hawke Sidewinder 30's get good reviews and there's a review by koshkin who knows his stuff. For a lower priced scope that functions.

Thanks for the info Roto.  I am kinda of a newbie on this site.  Where do you find the review that you are talking about by koshkin?  thanks!
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 21:01
Opticsthoughts.com he has quite a few reviews on there categorized by different price ranges.

You would be happy with a vortex aswell. I have a Diamondback in 3-9x40 and its very clear and its even a solid tracker.
Old Mil ftw
lumberjack149 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumberjack149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2012 at 06:54
I see you have been swamped by some good recommendations, so i will go back to your original question.....  the viper 6.5-20 is a good scope and would be a fine choice. The big thing (to me) that you are gaining on the $750 PST is that the reticle and the turrets would match and its more of a dialing friendly scope (exposed turrets with zero stop). 
Depends what these upgrades are worth to you. Also within your budget would be the weaver 3-15x50 you might want to look at. Below are some of the scopes mentioned in your price range. Good luck, let us know what you end up with. 
tmenold View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmenold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2012 at 07:17
Originally posted by lumberjack149 lumberjack149 wrote:

I see you have been swamped by some good recommendations, so i will go back to your original question.....  the viper 6.5-20 is a good scope and would be a fine choice. The big thing (to me) that you are gaining on the $750 PST is that the reticle and the turrets would match and its more of a dialing friendly scope (exposed turrets with zero stop). 
Depends what these upgrades are worth to you. Also within your budget would be the weaver 3-15x50 you might want to look at. Below are some of the scopes mentioned in your price range. Good luck, let us know what you end up with. 

Thanks Lumberjack!  That's some good recommendations.  I'm a bit hesitant to go under 20 power for a scope, especially if I'm planning on doing some LR shooting (500-800 yards).  Am I out of line to think that way?  I just know that looking at a 300 yard target with my Leupold VX3 20X scope that I would want nothing less when trying to shooting precision.  I'm leaning toward one of the Vortex Viper scopes, just trying to decide if going up to the different recitcle and getting a 50mm objective is worth the extra $300?????  Are those the only difference b/w the scopes or does any one know if the glass is of different quality!!  Good info guys!  Thanks!!!  ;-)

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2012 at 08:04
There is no way you need 20x for shooting those distances at steel and game-sized targets.  Prairie dogs at those ranges could use some more x's.

I shoot steel out to 600 yards (sometimes further) with my little 2-7x Viper.  I shot 20X20 steel at 800 yards with my 4-12X50 Swaro Z3, and didn't want for more maginification.  I also have a Viper PST 4-16X50 and it would be more than enough for me.

If PDs are a priority I think the standard Viper 6.5-20X50 would be a great choice.
-Matt
tmenold View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmenold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2012 at 13:04
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

There is no way you need 20x for shooting those distances at steel and game-sized targets.  Prairie dogs at those ranges could use some more x's.

I shoot steel out to 600 yards (sometimes further) with my little 2-7x Viper.  I shot 20X20 steel at 800 yards with my 4-12X50 Swaro Z3, and didn't want for more maginification.  I also have a Viper PST 4-16X50 and it would be more than enough for me.

If PDs are a priority I think the standard Viper 6.5-20X50 would be a great choice.

I've shot many 3-9X scopes at 100 yards when sighting in and when you are aiming at a 1" diamond and trying to be precise, a 3-9X or lower just don't cut the mustard.  That's just my opinion.  Maybe it's the quality of the optics also??  The lower powered scopes I've shot at that distance are of lower quality also (i.e. Tasco, Simmons, Cabelas).  I've tried to shoot at 300 yards with them and all you can see is a small 8X11 white piece of paper and all you can do is "try" to shoot for the center.  Not sure how you can see, let alone hit a target at 600 yards with a 2-7X.  The optics must be "AMAZING"! 

When shooting at 100 yds with my 22-250 and .204 I have my Leupold VX3's maxed out on power (one is 20X and the other is 25X) and love it!  Both are great at the 300 yd target also.  I haven't shot much with them beyond the 400 yard range. 
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2012 at 13:23
I agree that most people over magnify.  When Im shooting groups at 100 (which I only do for load development) 10x is as high as I go.  I don't shoot off a bench and when paper punching for groups I shoot prone with a bipod and rear bag.  If I go above 10x I watch the reticle dance and then my fundamentals fade.  Now ... if a person is sled shooting and/or Bench shooting with bully bags and such then all the magnification can help.  I don't pack a sled or bags with me down range/in the woods so I don't shoot that way.  We shoot 12x12 inch steel at 1000 yards with fixed 10x SS HDs often.  I shoot 800 yard steel with a 3.5 TA11E ACOG on a SASS.  You don't need big glass to shoot long range.  Spending the $$$ on a good scope with sold glass and good repeatable turrents that tops out at 10x is better than spending the same $$$ on a lesser scope that tops out at 20 or 25x.
Just my thoughts on magnification... mileage will vary
Prieto9000 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 00:59
You won't go wrong with the PST. I have a 6-24X50 FFP and i regret going that high on the magnification. I would definitely stay with the 4-16 if i was buying a new one. I never get past around 18x when shooting @ the range. I was hitting steel with my .243 win @ 500m with no problem using the mrad reticle and my iPhone Ballistic App. No need to adjust the turrets.
If you can't afford the FFP PST just go with the SPF one. I'm sure you'll love it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic