OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Questions on Millett DMS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions on Millett DMS
    Posted: April/29/2012 at 06:59
Hello all, new user here looking for some information on my scope.

I purchased a Millett DMS 1-4X, but it's not the current model. I knew that when I bought it and it didn't strike me as a big deal, but finding info about changes is specs has been exasperating.

This cope is called 'Buck Gold Tactical Rifle Scope, 1-4 X 24 DMS'. Near as I can tell, the newer DMS isn't part of the BG series.

It appears to have the same reticle as the current model, but there are some other differences:

Information posted on Millett's website says the adjustment for W and E are 1/2" clicks, mine is 1/4" per the limited instructions included and the markings on the adjustment rings.

The rheostat on the current model is adjacent to the W/E turrets, mine is located on the eyebell. 

I don't know what other differences there are. Only instructions for the current model are on Millett's website. I'd like to know what has changed. For instance,

Is the donut reticle the same size? Instructions for the current model put it at 12.5 MOA @ 4X/100yds, 18 MOA @ 3X/100yds, 25 MOA @ 2X/100yds. (My rings are ordered so haven't taken it to the range yet to see for myself). To add to the confusion, Millett lists the dount ring as 18 MOA on the website.

Lastly, does anyone have any idea at all what Millett's warranty is? It's not stated in any of the paperwork with the scope, or on the instructions I downloaded, or on their website.

Thanks for any help.
Walther View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 09:29
Another question, this one more general. It's been many years since I've thought about any kind of optics for a gun, having been mostly into handguns at the range. In looking through the instructions, they make this statement:

The DONUT-DOT reticle is also useful in range finding. The outside ring of the DONUT covers 12.6 inches at 100 yards at 4X, and can be used in comparison of target to the DONUT. Example: A deer is often about 18” from the bottom of the chest to the shoulder. So if you see the deer in the DONUT and it fits about 3 times, you are 300 yards from the deer.

I'm no math whiz, but this seems incorrect to me.

If I take 12.6" and take it to 300 yards, I come up with 37.8". (12.6 x 3). Using their 'about' measurments, I'll round that to 36".

So, if our deer is 18" from chest to shoulder, wouldn't it need to fit into the donut about TWO times to be @ 300yds, not three as they state? I've tried several times, can't get 18" to go into 36" three times no matter how hard I squeeze...

Is their staement in error, or am I? If it's me, what am I missing?

Walther View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 18:18
Well, I'd like to thank everyone that responded. I thought this was a forum, looks like it's just a rolling advertisement.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 18:22
Hello, Walther. 

Sorry you didn't obtain the information you seek. I normally try to welcome all new members, but failed to see this post, hence I didn't respond. I've never seen the scope in question.   

Did you try to run a search, maybe in the tactical forum? Also, there's a list of similar posts on Millet DMS located at the bottom of this page. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 18:38
that would be about the most useless way to range a target. you're right 18 is 1/2 of 36 so they need to rethink their math. i would completely disregard using the "donut" to range. depending on what cartridge you're using, say a 308 you have about 15" of drop with a 100yd zero to 300. i would just get my dope to however far i plan on shooting, and apply it.

keep in mind you posted early in the morning, some are just now getting off of work, and this is kind of a round'a'bout question. you have to try it out before you know it will work. my advise would be to call millet, and ask them directly, and express your concerns.

to me it seems like a half assed way to design a ranging reticle, that will probably not work very well. if you want a ranging reticle, i suggest you check out a calibrated mil dot or milling reticle. a great tactical scope that can be used for hunting is the SS6X.

personally i'd stay away from millet
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic